~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Mitchell Investigation

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:30 pm

How do you think fans will react to the named players who did performance enhancing steroids as compared to those having done HGH? Will people make a distinction? It seems like HGH is starting to be viewed as "no big deal" since it doesn't directly affect performance and is not considered a health danger (at least not as much so).

As to the question of pitchers vs. hitters... my guess is that more than half are pitchers, but that most of those pitchers will be named as HGH users since recovery time is paramount to pitchers.

I think the bigger question is how many current players as compared to retired players will be named? It seems like a lot of the names being suggested are retired players. If there are 80 players named, but only 20 are current players, then I think the impact will be a lot less. If every team in baseball has 3-4 big names on the list, it could get ugly (at least initially).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:12 pm

It would be good for baseball if there are hardly any current players on the list. I think the public would perceive that the problem has been fixed and that this report is the final chapter in a dark period in baseball history. I think that's a bunch of bologna, but that's how it would be viewed.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Why is Kevin Mitchell being investigated? And when did double cheeseburgers become a banned substance?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:From what I've been reading,and some names have been speculated on this thread, a lot of the names are going to be former Mets players who played while Kirk Radomski served as clubhouse attendant for the Mets;He supposedly gave Mitchell a lot of information.

If you think that he only gave drugs to Mets players, I believe that you are mistaken.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 pm

MVP's and All-Stars will be named. This is even bigger than I figured and I was expecting it to be pretty darn big.

P.S.- Why is one trainers testimony enough to drag 80 players name through the mud? They might not be charged with anything, but can the MLB strike their records without a fair trial?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
StarsNPinstripes wrote:From what I've been reading,and some names have been speculated on this thread, a lot of the names are going to be former Mets players who played while Kirk Radomski served as clubhouse attendant for the Mets;He supposedly gave Mitchell a lot of information.

If you think that he only gave drugs to Mets players, I believe that you are mistaken.

I concur.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:57 pm

jfg wrote:MVP's and All-Stars will be named. This is even bigger than I figured and I was expecting it to be pretty darn big.

P.S.- Why is one trainers testimony enough to drag 80 players name through the mud? They might not be charged with anything, but can the MLB strike their records without a fair trial?

I think that he has a lot of proof like phone and bank records.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I concur.

Not impyling nor do I think anything;just passing along what I've read.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:27 pm

I really don't think Bonds will be on the list. Pleading not guilty a week before this comes out is pretty ballsy. I'm guessing he knows he won't be named.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers