The Mitchell Investigation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mitchell Investigation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Mitchell Investigation

Postby kab21 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:02 am

It's true that the owners turned a blind eye for too long, but they have been handcuffed by the union. They fought the owners on every measure they tried to put into place in the last 3-4 years. Of course the union is made up by a bunch of players that use steriods.

The result is a very weak steriod policy that is currently in place. And the union will continue fight any suspensions that come from this.

PS - this Mitchell report could be a disaster. I would be happy with a strong current policy instead of digging into the past. If the Mitchell Report doesn't lead to solutions for the future it will have been a waste of time.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:05 am

But, the fact is, if the owners didn't turn a blind eye the problem wouldn't be there. There isn't evidence but how many owners and GM's do you think talked to trainers to get players to take steroids? Maybe not, but does anyone doubt it?

Not to bring more politics into the discussion but it reminds me a lot of illegal immigration. You can raid as much as you want but nothing's going to change until you go after the guys that are knowingly employing the people that are breaking the law. In this case everybody involved are millionares so it doesn't match up totally. But, Mitchell and anyone else involved aren't going to go after billionaire businessmen. But they should be because that's who let it get out of hand.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:16 am

kab21 wrote:PS - this Mitchell report could be a disaster. I would be happy with a strong current policy instead of digging into the past. If the Mitchell Report doesn't lead to solutions for the future it will have been a waste of time.

Bingo. If this report does name 50, 100, 150+ names or whatever, it is going to cast a huge pall over major league baseball. Especially if some of these names are some of the more popular players in baseball. Now, I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequence for cheating, but if this just turns out to be a giant witch hunt, it'll be a huge waste of time and money. The report better contain some propsed solutions to the problem and/or lead to the generation of new solutions.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 am

kab21 wrote:PS - this Mitchell report could be a disaster. I would be happy with a strong current policy instead of digging into the past. If the Mitchell Report doesn't lead to solutions for the future it will have been a waste of time.

The only thing this report will achieve is the dragging of a few players' names through the mud for a while. Other than better drug testing, there are no foreseeable solutions to this "problem."
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:34 am

jfg wrote:But, the fact is, if the owners didn't turn a blind eye the problem wouldn't be there. There isn't evidence but how many owners and GM's do you think talked to trainers to get players to take steroids? Maybe not, but does anyone doubt it?

Not to bring more politics into the discussion but it reminds me a lot of illegal immigration. You can raid as much as you want but nothing's going to change until you go after the guys that are knowingly employing the people that are breaking the law. In this case everybody involved are millionares so it doesn't match up totally. But, Mitchell and anyone else involved aren't going to go after billionaire businessmen. But they should be because that's who let it get out of hand.

Not a bad analogy, except that in MLB, the 'employers' were unable to (or at least handcuffed in trying to) verify the legal status of their 'employees', in this case because of the union. I put at least half of the blame on the players union.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 am

Scooter1027 wrote:

Bingo. If this report does name 50, 100, 150+ names or whatever, it is going to cast a huge pall over major league baseball. Especially if some of these names are some of the more popular players in baseball. Now, I'm not saying there shouldn't be consequence for cheating, but if this just turns out to be a giant witch hunt, it'll be a huge waste of time and money. The report better contain some propsed solutions to the problem and/or lead to the generation of new solutions.

I disagree with this. I think the media is going to blow the report completely out of proportion (like they do with everything), but I really believe the average baseball fan doesn't give a hoot about steroids and who used them in the past.

This isn't going to keep people from going to the games, that's for sure.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:

I disagree with this. I think the media is going to blow the report completely out of proportion (like they do with everything), but I really believe the average baseball fan doesn't give a hoot about steroids and who used them in the past.

This isn't going to keep people from going to the games, that's for sure

I tend to agree, but I sure wish it would never be released. I really don't want baseball to talk another huge hit with the negative press. This is a game I really love and hate to see stuff like this. I'm not denying anything happened or has been/still is a problem, but ignorance is bliss I guess, I just don't want to know. :~(
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Hundly
Bonilla

Yeah, probably. Sigh. These were two of my favorite non-Rangers when I was younger, along with Sheffield, Bonds and Bill Doran.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Esen » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:27 pm

I just wonder what the % of Pitchers will be on this report.

To me it makes sense that Pitchers would use a lot of these drugs for recovery. Which honestly I can almost understand. I really dont know though.
From the stories that I heard, Speed use to be a big thing with pitchers. I take it this report doesn t cover that.
I remember hearing the stories of Clemens and Pettite drinking from the Hi-Octane coffee pot.
But they ae just stories.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:31 pm

From what I've been reading,and some names have been speculated on this thread, a lot of the names are going to be former Mets players who played while Kirk Radomski served as clubhouse attendant for the Mets;He supposedly gave Mitchell a lot of information.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers