The "Hawk" to the Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The "Hawk" to the Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The "Hawk" to the Yankees

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I don't see how offering a 1 year deal to a guy with a live arm like him is a bad thing unless:

1. This means that they now pass on bringing Vizcaino back.
2. He is forced to close at some point.

It's not a good thing unless:

1. You want to pay a pitcher who you never use in any pressure situations; or
2. You don't care about winning.

Sure, it's not major money and it's only one year. But the point is if you have guys in your bullpen you want them to able to do more than just mop-up duty in the 14-2 blowouts. And that's almost the only kind of situation that I would feel comfortable having The Hawk pitch for my team. Even 1 year is 1 year too many.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:15 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I didn't mind Hawkins once he got out of the 8th inning role, where he imploded. He was much better outside of that, though not without some heart attack moments.

That's almost the worst part about having him... you get him into the meaningless innings and he looks like a rock star so the manager starts thinking, "Hey, this guy is pretty good" and you get to a tense situation and Hawkins has gone 9 outings with no runs allowed and your normal setup guy is tired because he has gone the last two days in a row so you put Hawkins in and, WHAM!!!!! Right in the kisser.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:16 pm

Matthias wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I don't see how offering a 1 year deal to a guy with a live arm like him is a bad thing unless:

It's not a good thing unless:

1. You want to pay a pitcher who you never use in any pressure situations; or
2. You don't care about winning.

Sure, it's not major money and it's only one year. But the point is if you have guys in your bullpen you want them to able to do more than just mop-up duty in the 14-2 blowouts. And that's almost the only kind of situation that I would feel comfortable having The Hawk pitch for my team. Even 1 year is 1 year too many.

Meh.

$3.75 is really chump change for the Yankees. There aren't really a whole lot of options. I guess they're going with the "if you throw enough s*** at the wall, some of it will have to stick" approach.

If Edwar Ramirez can have his minor league numbers translate to the majors, we'll have a strong back-end of the bullpen. If not, they're going to struggle or hope someone else steps up.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Meh.

$3.75 is really chump change for the Yankees. There aren't really a whole lot of options. I guess they're going with the "if you throw enough s*** at the wall, some of it will have to stick" approach.

If Edwar Ramirez can have his minor league numbers translate to the majors, we'll have a strong back-end of the bullpen. If not, they're going to struggle or hope someone else steps up.

Alright. But Hawkins will blow at least 6 games for you this season. Count on it.

And I don't even hate the guy... I like him even. He does have a good personality. I just saw him regularly in Minnesota and wouldn't want him on my team.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Matthias wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Meh.

Alright. But Hawkins will blow at least 6 games for you this season. Count on it.

Maybe, but those games would've been blown by Farnsworthless anyway.

He's no improvement over what they already have, but he's not much worse, either.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Re: The

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:46 pm

It just seems lazy to me. Instead of working to find a guy to fill a spot, teams throw millions of dollars at "live arms" that had a good year awhile back. In the meantime, there's somebody waiting to take that spot if given a chance. Latroy is an easy option though. Every team does it (not always to the tune of 4 mil) and it rarely ever works and games are lost because of it. Just dumb.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:56 am

AussieDodger wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

I agree, it's basically money that Hank found under the cushions of the couch. I don't see why everyone is making a big deal out of it. Obviously he isn't very good, hence the 1 year $3.25M. He is definitely a lot better option than Vizcaino. The Yankees have a lot of potentially good arms that they're gonna throw against the wall, and whatever sticks will pass Hawkins on the depth chart. Hawkins just assures them a quasi mediocre reliever. If he sucks, they'll just DFA him and it will be no big deal to lose $3.25M. People ridiculing Hank are just reaching for some Yankee bashing.

Edwar! could/should end up setting up Mariano.
$3.25M seems to be the going rate for anyone with a pulse at the moment , so no bashing from me }:-) .

Edwar has the stuff but not sure about the head. Too up and down for me right now.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby PerfectTen66 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 pm

acsguitar wrote:
pjalst wrote:
...why he would choose 3.75 million in NYC where everything costs twice as much?

yeah, It's expensive, But Sooooooooo worth it ;-D

Ehh I've never been impressed with NYC. I grew up in DC and as much as I hate DC I like it better then NYC.

Upstate NY however is awesome

As someone who has lived in upstate NY my entire life, thank you very much. We are very underappreciated up here.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:43 am

acs, for the record, there is only one "Hawk" and I ain't talking about Harrelson.

Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm

ironman wrote:acs, for the record, there is only one "Hawk" and I ain't talking about Harrelson.

They call him Hawk here in Colorado
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers