Milton Bradley signs w Texas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Milton Bradley signs w Texas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Milton Bradley signs w Texas

Postby stumpak » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:14 pm

1 year/$5M: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/pa ... adley.html

Given that he had been anticipated to miss most of the season due to his ACL tear from August, this is sort of interesting. It must mean that he is anticipated to be back much sooner than the All-Star break or Texas woudl not have pushed that kind of money his way. Anyone know the story with his new target return date?

If he truely is expected to be healthy for most of the season, he might be a legitimate sleeper. I would be happy to take a flyer on a guy that produces at a .290/20/20 rate when healthy (although in Bradley's case the "when healthy" is an important qualifier). Much better than anything typically on the WW ove the summer.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Milton Bradley signs w Texas

Postby sgnilloccaz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Good team for Milton to replenish his career. 20/20 threat.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 pm

No disrespect intended to the more optimistic posters here, but I just can't get too excited over Milton Bradley anymore - he's been the fastest-rising player in the majors for, what, about 8 years now? Sure, he has potential, but he's only managed to collect over 400 AB's twice in his career 'cause he's so brittle. Not once has he hit 20 HR or stolen over 20 SB, so why should we expect him to suddenly hit both of those marks in the same year, he's gonna have a hard enough time hitting one of those milestones? He's also a hot-head on top of everything else, so if he's not injured he might be suspended. Waste of roster space.

Pass.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sgnilloccaz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:46 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:No disrespect intended to the more optimistic posters here, but I just can't get too excited over Milton Bradley anymore - he's been the fastest-rising player in the majors for, what, about 8 years now? Sure, he has potential, but he's only managed to collect over 400 AB's twice in his career 'cause he's so brittle. Not once has he hit 20 HR or stolen over 20 SB, so why should we expect him to suddenly hit both of those marks in the same year, he's gonna have a hard enough time hitting one of those milestones? He's also a hot-head on top of everything else, so if he's not injured he might be suspended. Waste of roster space.

Pass.

You are correct on everything, I didn't do any research before I posted. I didn't know he only has over 400 ABs twice! Thats ridiculous.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey we're even, I didn't do any research before posting on Kelly Johnson the other day and someone called me on it... I'm probably rusty 'cause it's December and I haven't been looking up stats for a long time, I just remember looking up Bradley's a while back and noticing those things. He's just one of those guys who people keep saying is gonna break out who never does. He does have some talent, no question about that, he just can't seem to string together 20 games in a row without getting hurt.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 pm

I had figured he'd miss most of the season too, but when I read up on him the other day it was looking like he'd be ready by ST or at the very least April. I'm not sure how that is really possible but I guess we'll see. With his talent and that park, he'd definitely be a sleeper, but the injury concerns certainly wouldn't allow me to actually count on him to produce. Could be an interesting grab next year for somebody though.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:06 pm

Texas typically isn't a SB team, but this year without a huge bat in the lineup maybe they will run a little more. I can't remember a year when they went in to the season without a surefire stud (ie, Teix, Juan Gone, Raffy, etc). This year they'll have an alright offense but it will definitely be more spread out among 1-9. Young/Blalock/Salty will surely be the heart of it though, with Shelton being the biggest Texas sleeper IMO. Bradley would fit nicely, just wish he could play CF.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Bradly will miss the first half of the season with his ACL , and then miss the second half when he takes on Jason Botts in a fist fight and loses.
:-D

In all seriousness , he will be a good bench/platoon/match-ups guy in the second half. And when he hurts himself again (which is inevitable) you don't lose much when you flick him to waivers.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Doesn't Bradley realize they actively use the death Penalty in Texas!??! Probably not the best state for someone with an Anger Management problem
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby stumpak » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:46 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:No disrespect intended to the more optimistic posters here, but I just can't get too excited over Milton Bradley anymore - he's been the fastest-rising player in the majors for, what, about 8 years now? Sure, he has potential, but he's only managed to collect over 400 AB's twice in his career 'cause he's so brittle. Not once has he hit 20 HR or stolen over 20 SB, so why should we expect him to suddenly hit both of those marks in the same year, he's gonna have a hard enough time hitting one of those milestones? He's also a hot-head on top of everything else, so if he's not injured he might be suspended. Waste of roster space.

Pass.

You miss the point. Of course Bradley is constantly hurt. But when is healthy, he produces very well for a guy who is on the WW in a lot of leagues. Take his totals for the last 5 years and divide by 600 ABs and you will see that at a full-season rate he actually produces better than 20/20, despite the fact that much of this time was in Oakland, which supposedly does not run either. I did this in another thread, but I am too lazy to search for it.

I don't think anyone would say that he will hit .300 20/20 this season. But in a 12 team league with a decent ammount of bench and DL spots, I would be very happy to take Bradley with my last pick and get .300 15/12 out of him for the 100 games that he is healthy.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers