Pregnant Mother Dies; Father Left w/Triplets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pregnant Mother Dies; Father Left w/Triplets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pregnant Mother Dies; Father Left w/Triplets

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:38 pm

Awful story. If you feel like this is worthy of a donation, there is contact information at the bottom.

KVOA.com wrote:During this holiday season, a Tucson father has three reasons to celebrate. Andrue Smith's wife recently gave birth to triplet boys.

But tragically, his wife died after the babies were born.

Andrue is now struggling to cope with the loss of his wife and raising the babies on his own.

They're daddy's little boys. Legend, Tristian and Jaisyn were born six weeks premature, a week ago today.

"All I wanted was a son," he told us.

You can see the love in Andrue's eyes. Love, and sorrow, because his wife Debbie will never see her babies.

Andrue says, out of the blue, his wife got deathly ill. Doctors saved the boys, but couldn't save her.

"My wife's heart had stopped beating. Her body suffered and her brain suffered... It's not the kind of thing people will recover from."

So Andrue made the difficult decision to discontinue life support.

"It's going to be hard, very hard. I can't imagine a life without her."

Numb, this 28 year old single father of three is trying.

"My wife, I know she'd expect me to be strong and she'd want me to take care of those kids."

Andrew has a full-time construction job, but questions whether he earns enough to afford childcare. And if he quits his job, how will he pay his mortgage?

"Absolutely anything anybody can help out with or contribute, I'd be very happy to accept anything. I've got my babies, my three boys to worry about, and that's what's keeping me strong."

Andrew calls them daddy's little army.

If you'd like to help the Smith Family, you can drop off items such as diapers, clothes and car seats at Victory Assembly of God Church, at 2561 W. Ruthrauff Rd.

A memorial fund has been set-up as well. If you'd like to donate to that, just go to any Wells Fargo Bank and donate to the Debra L. Smith Family Memorial Fund.

Video link at CNN...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Pregnant Mother Dies; Father Left w/Triplets

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Dear God....

I had nightmares about that happening when my wife was preggers. Scared me into a cold sweat, I tell ya. Poor guy.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Field » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Definitely a sad story. People forget that child birth is still somewhat dangerous even in this day and age. I believe that the US actually has one of the higher infant and mother mortality rates in the industrialized world which is disconcerting given the abundant resources and technology at our disposal.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Field wrote:Definitely a sad story. People forget that child birth is still somewhat dangerous even in this day and age. I believe that the US actually has one of the higher infant and mother mortality rates in the industrialized world which is disconcerting given the abundant resources and technology at our disposal.

I believe there has been some push back regarding that stat under the premise that we keep better stats than other industrialized countries and/or our requirements for mortality are different than theirs. I'm not saying we're below where we should be, but...

Measurement issues

International comparisons are often criticized on measurement grounds. The IMR is a very crude measure, capturing both too much and too little. When all deaths up to 1 year of age are combined, some critics argue that the measure captures too many different problems and further disaggregation is appropriate. However, infant mortality statistics also leave out some vital information, such as ignoring fetal deaths before birth, that may distort the picture in another way. This debate over which of several measures to use illustrates the complexity of factors surrounding infant mortality.

In addition, measurement problems arise in international comparisons because the data are not consistently gathered or reported. Although the World Health Organization (WHO) has a formal definition of what should be included in the infant mortality statistics, anecdotal evidence suggests that countries do not use consistent practices in measuring these data (Haub and Yanagishita, 1991; Hartford, 1992).

Whatever the reason for these measurement differences, they can bias the resulting international rankings and comparisons. Thus, international data need to be viewed with caution, recognizing that at least some of the differences may be statistical artifacts.

The whole 1991 article can be found here.

Again, not saying there aren't problems... Just saying the numbers might not be completely accurate.

:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:11 pm

I can't imagine being a single father of triplets.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:49 am

I can't imagine. I hope he has close family to help him raise those kids. It would be so incredibly horrible to experience that kind of pain. From the wife's perspective, not being able to be around the kids you had inside you for so long... My mother passed away when my son was only 10 months old. She loved being a grandmother and would have been even better at that than being a mother, if that is possible. It hurts that she can't watch him grow up. Those kids will never know their mother, but I hope their father is strong enough to always remember her and remember the love they had (most likely) for each other to share with them. For someone who has never met someone else who has meant so much to you (and to them though they don't realize it yet), the only "memory" you can share is the one that you provide them of you. I hope this father takes this seriously and doesn't burdon these kids with this unfortunate situation. Sounds horrible to say, but human nature is human nature. When it hits the fan we look for a source. I hope and pray he has the support he needs to make life pleasant for these kids, even though it will be more difficult than any of us can ever even imagine.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:13 am

This is a sad story, but I have also been under the impression that America has relatively high birthing-related mortality rates compared to other Industrialized nations. I know how hard it is to believe that America isn't the awesomest at every measurable stat in the history of the universe.

Despite the tragedy of this situation, how is this truly a unique and isolated situation despite the fact that people die? There are an awful lot of single fathers raising 3, 4, or perhaps 5+ children on their own because the mother of their children has died from a tragedy. Sadder still, there are many single mothers in a similar situation raising many children and having difficulty making enough money to support them in the event of a tragedy.

The point I guess is that I'm trying to make light of a situation that exists among many families and that it shouldn't be a "special circumstance" because it was a rare event such as birth complications from having triplets.

In any case, I feel for this family, but soliciting funds specifically for them seems shortsighted. Aren't there national charities that specifically help families in this sort of predicament? I only ask because I know there are many more examples such as this that don't have the benefit of national press.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Coppermine wrote:In any case, I feel for this family, but soliciting funds specifically for them seems shortsighted. Aren't there national charities that specifically help families in this sort of predicament? I only ask because I know there are many more examples such as this that don't have the benefit of national press.

Sounds like his church is raising funds.

Really sad story. Can't imagine what kind of emotional rollercoaster the father is on, the agony of losing his wife and the joy of having triplets.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Return to General Talk