Tejada to the Astros? *UPDATE* - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tejada to the Astros? *UPDATE*

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Tejada to the Astros? *UPDATE*

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:24 pm

Yeah, there is no doubt the O's would like to keep Bedard long-term, but he's not interested, and they are unlikely to contend in the next two years. If they deal him, they ought to look for no less than ywo A rated prospects.

The O's are also shopping Hernandez, Tejada, Roberts, and Mora. None of them are likely to beon an O's winner, so that makes sense. The O's are at least 4-5 years away from having a competitive team, so they ought to be dealing everyone age 30 and up.

Tejada is unlikely to be able to handle SS much longer, so most teams are discounting his value heavily. His bat's not nearly as valuable at 3B. The Dodgers also have a great prospect at 3B, so it's not like Tejada is a real need for them. But, Everett and Burke is a joke. I'd much rather have three prospects than those two.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 pm

I've had Bedard and either Roberts, Markakis, or Tejada on my fantasy squad over the last two years so I've paid a little attention to the birds and although I'm not seeing the games on TV it seems like the O's really aren't that bad, they could use a little help with their starting rotation but their hitting seemed to get them ahead or at least keep them in a lot of games, their weakness was by far their horrid bullpen; I don't know how many times I saw Bedard leave the game with a lead only to end up getting the no decision.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:48 pm

The Cow wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
The Cow wrote:What are the Orioles doing? They trade Tejada. Brian Roberts could also be traded. Eric Bedard is being shopped. Are they looking for a complete rebuild?

The Cow

Um, shouldn't they be?

Well the O's are pretty crappy, but unless the pitcher they are receiving in the Tejada deal is any good, they got hosed. I look at the O's and their best players are Bedard, Markakis, Roberts and Tejada. Maybe I forgot an arm, but if they deal all 3, they are left with Markakis and prospects. I guess they should rebuild, but can't they rebuild and keep a Bedard? The O's are a dreadful franchise. Whatever its the O's its not like they are going to make the playoffs. The O's, D-Rays and Blue Jays are really stuck behind the big money of the Yanks and Sox. Maybe the Yanks and Sox should just have their own division, LOL. Though the Tribe is still better than both unless of course the Sox get Santana.

The Cow

Yeah I'm sorry if you dont think the orioles should trade everyone but markakis then you should be thrown into the same category as former GM jim duqette. Like its been said Bedard isn't going to re-sign. So if you dont trade him you lose him for nothing. Tejada is a good trade piece that is clearly past his prime. Lets just say the orioles aren't going to win a championship with tejada in the lineup. I was surprised by the roberts talk but if he brings back pie or hill i would be very happy. Keep in mind the orioles drafted Wieter in the most recent draft so moving ramon hernandez is not completely out of the question...

For the first time in my lifetime I feel like the orioles actually have some direction to their time. For years now they have been stuck in a "are we rebuilding or not zone". At least at this point the Os are looking to make some good moves. I'm also pretty optimistic that the orioles haven't rushed into a deal. They seem to really be trying to get the most for their players ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:51 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Yeah I'm sorry if you dont think the orioles should trade everyone but markakis then you should be thrown into the same category as former GM jim duqette. Like its been said Bedard isn't going to re-sign. So if you dont trade him you lose him for nothing. Tejada is a good trade piece that is clearly past his prime. Lets just say the orioles aren't going to win a championship with tejada in the lineup. I was surprised by the roberts talk but if he brings back pie or hill i would be very happy. Keep in mind the orioles drafted Wieter in the most recent draft so moving ramon hernandez is not completely out of the question...

For the first time in my lifetime I feel like the orioles actually have some direction to their time. For years now they have been stuck in a "are we rebuilding or not zone". At least at this point the Os are looking to make some good moves. I'm also pretty optimistic that the orioles haven't rushed into a deal. They seem to really be trying to get the most for their players ;-D

I agree, I would be encouraged as an Orioles fan. It seems like they are targeting some very nice prospects (this rumored Tejada to Houston deal not withstanding.)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 pm

horatio wrote:I've had Bedard and either Roberts, Markakis, or Tejada on my fantasy squad over the last two years so I've paid a little attention to the birds and although I'm not seeing the games on TV it seems like the O's really aren't that bad, they could use a little help with their starting rotation but their hitting seemed to get them ahead or at least keep them in a lot of games, their weakness was by far their horrid bullpen; I don't know how many times I saw Bedard leave the game with a lead only to end up getting the no decision.

While that's what some would have you believe, the fact is that they are good in no area. They were 9th in the AL in runs scored, 10th in starting pitching ERA, and 13th in relief ERA. And that's been pretty much the story fo a decade. Below average in every phase of the game. They won 69 games last year. You can't tinker and make 20 game improvements.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby High Heater » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Bedard is only 29 and in his prime he has a good couple years left there and they should be able to get close to what santana will get as far as a package goes. he's checp too...

If's Bedard is moved to the NL that would up his stats alone imo moving from AL to NL.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby dc928 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 pm

The O's needs to rebuild. But I think they can get more for Tejada. They can definately do better than Chris Burke and Adam Everett. I think the Angels will give them B Wood, and Santana for him at least and that is a hell of a lot better than those two. They will probably throw in guys like Reggie Willis and another pitching prospect like Joe Sauders who can start right away for this team. Eric Bedard will yield in a lot more. Dodgers might be willing to part Matt Kemp and another pitching prospect for Bedard. It is really unfortunate for the O's, I mean when you are behind Yanks, Red Sox and maybe even the Blue Jays it is tough to compete. I mean really they are probably not as good as the Devil Rays. That is when you need to rebuild.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Looks like I was on to something, last week ;-D

As per Rotoworld:
According to the Baltimore Sun, the Astros have acquired Miguel Tejada from the Orioles for LHP Troy Patton, OF Luke Scott, RHP Matt Albers, RHP Dennis Sarfate and 3B Michael Costanzo.
Five players for Tejada? It's an interesting group, but the only particularly valuable property is Patton, a left-hander whose stock has dropped a bit over the last year. He projects as a third or fourth starter, though he's not ready yet. Scott should start over Jay Payton in left field, at least against righties, but he may not be more than a one- or two-year solution. Albers has fourth-starter potential, but he belongs in the pen right now, as he's primarily a two-pitch pitcher. Sarfate, a waiver claim from the Brewers, emerged as a viable late-game relief candidate at the end of last season. However, he has a long history of command problems. Costanzo was the strikeout-prone third base prospect the Astros picked up from the Phillies in the Brad Lidge deal. Overall, we'd say the Orioles got back about what they should have. That said, they'd be fortunate if more than one player from this group was a key player next time they're in a position to win 85-90 games.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers