AGREE WITH DOMBROWSKI?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AGREE WITH DOMBROWSKI??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AGREE WITH DOMBROWSKI??

Postby talk show host » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 pm

DAVE DOMBROWSKI PHILOSOPHY..AGREE???

TIGER GM DAVE DOMBROWSKI didnt have a chance to get extensions for Cabrera and Willis,but still made the deal.

Even though the Marlins refused to let the Tigers speak to the players about an extension, the Tigers have two years of service before free agency.

"We made this trade to win now," Dombrowski said. "I don't agree that winning is cyclical. Once you're successful you can replace players. They want to come to you. They want to sign as free agents. We have a chance to be good for a long time."

DO YOU AGREE WITH THIS PHILOSPHY OF WIN NOW IN YOU FANTASY BASEBALL LEAGUE??
talk show host
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AGREE WITH DOMBROWSKI??

Postby noseeum » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:43 pm

For fantasy? Of course! Who cares about next year. I see a lot of people pass up good deals to hold onto young keepers. Great, you'll be in 3rd place every year instead winning every once in a while. Go for it now, always.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ayebatter » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:59 pm

noseeum wrote:For fantasy? Of course! Who cares about next year. I see a lot of people pass up good deals to hold onto young keepers. Great, you'll be in 3rd place every year instead winning every once in a while. Go for it now, always.

Here Here ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:29 pm

yeah im not sure if this is a real question or not. Seriously why wouldn't you want to win now than have a CHANCE at winning later...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 pm

In my keeper/dynasty leagues i of course value young players over old, but i try to be competitive every year. If I can trade a top prospect for a guy to help me in the stretch run (and i have a realizable chance to win) i make the trade even if the young player has huge upside. I feel comfortable enough in my knowledge of the minors to find another prospect to replace the guys i trade. Obviously i won't "give away" young players, but i am one or two pieces away from a crown i make the move. For example in one h2h league i was getting killed in saves every week, so i traded Brandon Wood for Izzy. I am not going to keep Izzy, but he grabbed a couple of key saves in September and helped me to the championship game (and a finish in the money).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sinkerslider » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 pm

What's your opinion on Smoltz then? The guy will outpitch all but maybe 10 SP for the next year or two before nosediving.
sinkerslider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:37 pm

I think most people would put Smoltz in that high-risk, high reward category but honestly, until he takes that nose-dive I think he is still one of the top 20 pitchers in the game. I would take him ahead of some of the younger guys like Felix, Cain, Gallardo and Lincecum especially if I wanted to win right now.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby stevethumb » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:00 am

ayebatter wrote:
noseeum wrote:For fantasy? Of course! Who cares about next year. I see a lot of people pass up good deals to hold onto young keepers. Great, you'll be in 3rd place every year instead winning every once in a while. Go for it now, always.

Here Here ;-D
---the actually phrase is "Hear, hear!!" and i agree that if you have a chance to win it all you go for it !! i have been in a great 13 team NL only league since 1994 and no one remembers who finished 2nd in any year except IF it is them
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 pm

stevethumb wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

Here Here ;-D
---the actually phrase is "Hear, hear!!" and i agree that if you have a chance to win it all you go for it !! i have been in a great 13 team NL only league since 1994 and no one remembers who finished 2nd in any year except IF it is them

There..There...I agree I hear. Win now and worry about next year, next year.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 pm

I posted my response in the rumors section somehow....I said I traded my future (Braun) for three upgrades and still finished second. But, I'd probably do it again because I just got unlucky. It sure does stink to see Braun on another team and no championship though.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers