Don't forget to pick up your prize - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't forget to pick up your prize

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Don't forget to pick up your prize

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 am

Many major U.S. lottery prizes unclaimed
CHICAGO, Dec. 6 (UPI) -- Some $570 million in various U.S. lottery prizes went unclaimed last year, USA Today reported Thursday.

Related Headlines
U.K. woman seeks rapist's lottery winnings (November 1, 2007) -- Britain's highest court began hearing arguments Thursday from a woman seeking some of the money her convicted rapist won in a national ... > full story

Audit: U.S. federal workers abuse flights (October 3, 2007) -- A U.S. government audit released Wednesday said federal workers overspent $146 million last year on business-class air travel. The Government ... > full story

Court: Keep tickets in glove compartment (September 16, 2007) -- A judge in North Carolina has ruled the city of Greensboro has only one year to sue scofflaws who have not paid their parking tickets. If the city ... > full story

Man faces arraignment in lottery theft (September 2, 2007) -- A clerk at a convenience store in California is due to be arraigned this week after he allegedly stole a customer's winning lottery ... > full story

$330M jackpot to be split four ways (September 1, 2007) -- Four Mega Millions tickets sold in Virginia, Maryland, Texas and New Jersey belong to winners of a $330 million jackpot. The winners, who played ... > full story

Illinois Lottery spokesman Courtney Hill told the newspaper the state has one outstanding $11.7 million Lotto ticket sold July 28 at an gas station in Chicago, along with three $250,000 Mega Millions tickets approaching expiration.

"If a lottery prize hasn't been picked up in three months, it probably never will be," Hill said.

The majority of lottery tickets expire after either 90 days, 180 days or one year, depending on state rules.

Powerball and Mega Millions, the two multistate lottery games, return unclaimed prizes to the states proportionately, based on the number of tickets sold.

There are 42 states that operate lotteries, and the majority of them keep unclaimed prize money for education and other programs, the report said.

There is a $31 million unclaimed Mega Millions ticket sold this year in New York while the biggest-ever lost fortune was a $51.7 million Powerball ticket sold in Indiana in 2002.

LINK

Imagine that, people who play the lottery are lazy or unorganized. Who would have thought that?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Don't forget to pick up your prize

Postby 5 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:07 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Imagine that, people who play the lottery are lazy or unorganized. Who would have thought that?

What are you trying to say? ;-)

Unbelievable!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:07 pm

I always liked the saying that lotteries were just a tax on the ignorant.

$51M??? Unbelievable... X-I
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 pm

That's awesome... So, how does one start a lottery? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Yoda wrote:That's awesome... So, how does one start a lottery? :-D

Just start robbing people... er.. I mean...

Form a government. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:47 am

StlSluggers wrote:I always liked the saying that lotteries were just a tax on the ignorant.

$51M??? Unbelievable... X-I

Actually, they're more like the "Stupidity Tax" and I'm all for them because of it. I have no qualms with someone's 401(k) being six scratch-offs a week. But you'd think these wackos would be glued to the TV after spending precious gas/milk/rent/mortgage money on silly pieces of paper with numbers on them.

"Sorry Billy, I spent 18 years worth of your college fund on lottery tickets and I thought I would win at least once... write us from Iraq!"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk