LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2

Postby noseeum » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm with TLR here. Rolen's value is at an all-time low. So why should the Cards deal him for 50 cents on the dollar cause Rolen says so? You look to make a deal but if you can't get fair value back then you tell Rolen too bad. If he plays good they have a better chance to trade him and everybody wins. If he pouts and plays poorly everybody loses.

Larussa's helped get it to the all time low with this talk. He's helped make it obvious that he has no patience for Rolen, and he's added to the pressure for management to move him. Sure, he threw in the "we need him to play" lines, but all this is really saying is "I don't want Scott on my team next year. Move him."

It's not his job to do that stuff. He's the manager. Shut up and deal with the roster you get in March.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:49 pm

noseeum wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm with TLR here. Rolen's value is at an all-time low. So why should the Cards deal him for 50 cents on the dollar cause Rolen says so? You look to make a deal but if you can't get fair value back then you tell Rolen too bad. If he plays good they have a better chance to trade him and everybody wins. If he pouts and plays poorly everybody loses.

Larussa's helped get it to the all time low with this talk. He's helped make it obvious that he has no patience for Rolen, and he's added to the pressure for management to move him. Sure, he threw in the "we need him to play" lines, but all this is really saying is "I don't want Scott on my team next year. Move him."

It's not his job to do that stuff. He's the manager. Shut up and deal with the roster you get in March.

Rolen made $12+ mil in 07 while sporting a .729 OPS. LaRussa is saying that he wants Rolen to stop crying and start playing like a $12 mil player. I don't know where you got the idea that he wants Rolen off the team.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:08 pm

noseeum wrote:

You need to understand that the Cardinals organization isn't run like any other you're used to.

First of all, Tony is synonymous with management. He and Duncan are involved in trade talks. They are heavily consulted regarding contract issues. They recommend what free agents the team should pursue. For all intents and purposes, when you hear Tony talk, he's saying what all of management is thinking.

Second, Tony's comments aren't going to force management to trade him. Quite the contrary. Tony is saying that Scott wants to be traded, but his performance and behavior have made it impossible for the organization to get fair value for him. Tony is literally telling Scott, "If you want to be traded, you have to make yourself tradable. So shut up and start playing."

Finally, Tony is putting a notice to other organization to stop low balling the Cards. They won't trade Scott on the cheap.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Yoda wrote:
noseeum wrote:

Rolen made $12+ mil in 07 while sporting a .729 OPS. LaRussa is saying that he wants Rolen to stop crying and start playing like a $12 mil player. I don't know where you got the idea that he wants Rolen off the team.

;-D ;-D TLR has publically stated that he doesn't think they should trade Rolen cause they are a better team with him. Rolen's value is low cause he just had his worst offensive season and is owed $33 million over the next 3 years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 381)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:15 pm

StlSluggers wrote:You need to understand that the Cardinals organization isn't run like any other you're used to.

First of all, Tony is synonymous with management. He and Duncan are involved in trade talks. They are heavily consulted regarding contract issues. They recommend what free agents the team should pursue. For all intents and purposes, when you hear Tony talk, he's saying what all of management is thinking.

How did Haren and Barton for Mulder go for you? Good?
I despise La Russa. He is looked at as great because he luckily fell into good teams.
He is a D-Bag really.

P.S Please trade Anthony Reyes to Oakland. With us he will be a star. Then we can trade him back to you for Colby Rasmus - unless we have already acquired Rasmus for Dan Haren.

Cheers. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:30 pm

AussieDodger wrote:How did Haren and Barton for Mulder go for you? Good?
I despise La Russa. He is looked at as great because he luckily fell into good teams.
He is a D-Bag really.

P.S Please trade Anthony Reyes to Oakland. With us he will be a star. Then we can trade him back to you for Colby Rasmus - unless we have already acquired Rasmus for Dan Haren.

Cheers. ;-D

Not sure what you are getting at but STL has a ring during LaRussa's tenure. OAK does not during the same period.

They made some bad trades but I wouldn't put all the blame on TLR. He is a d-bag but that doesn't mean he is a bad managers at all. Look at Belicheck. How many people respect that guy?

OAK has done absolutely crap and will continue to do nothing in the near future. The best you can hope for is a complete firesale so that you can compete in 5 years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:33 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:You need to understand that the Cardinals organization isn't run like any other you're used to.

How did Haren and Barton for Mulder go for you? Good?

That was a win-now trade, and the problem was an injury. I don't see me saying that the trainers were in on those meetings, and I'm pretty sure that Tony's law degree doesn't help him much with diagnosing shoulder problems.

AussieDodger wrote:I despise La Russa. He is looked at as great because he luckily fell into good teams.

Oh yeah... That Preston Wilson team that won the World Series was jam-packed with talent. ;-7
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:43 pm

Yoda wrote:OAK has done absolutely crap and will continue to do nothing in the near future. The best you can hope for is a complete firesale so that you can compete in 5 years.

Hey if we can fix our swiss cheese rotation ( I don't know how Duchscherer will go , but I think Braden is the goods) and get healthy we are right in it.
Anaheim missed out on M-Cab because they wanted to keep Ervin Santana for crying out loud.

Ervin.

Santana.

:-°

Not sure what you are getting at but STL has a ring during LaRussa's tenure.

I think a WS win when you have 83? regular season wins falls into the lucky category.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Oh yeah... That Preston Wilson team that won the World Series was jam-packed with talent. ;-7

:-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 pm

La Russa bringing this sort of thing into the public shows how ridiculous the guy is. I totally agree that he has fallen into good teams and random . I live in St. Louis and see way more Cards games than I'd like and can say I can't stand the guy as a person or a manager.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers