LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:45 am

This is quickly becoming the most interesting thing in St. Louis... since Izturis isn't exactly newsworthy. :-C

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa wants third baseman Scott Rolen back.

But only on the team's terms.

"He's got a contract to play, and we need him to play," La Russa said Wednesday at the baseball winter meetings. "And he's going to be treated very honestly. If he plays hard and plays as well as he can, he plays. And if he doesn't, he can sit. If he doesn't like it, he can quit."

La Russa and Rolen have been feuding at least since the 2006 postseason, when Rolen was benched while struggling with a shoulder injury. The spat lingered last season, and La Russa said Rolen was the lone dissenting voice when the manager was deciding whether to return for another year.

"It was unanimous that everyone was for me except him," La Russa said. "It's gotten to the point where I don't care. What I care about is that he re-establish his stature as a major league productive star."

La Russa said the organization has gone out of its way to show Rolen respect, and "it's time for him to give back."

"Scott's got a lot of goodness to him. ... I think he has been a team man. He plays a team sport. I don't think he's going to want to be the one guy and the 24 guys on the other side of the room."

Rolen issued a cool statement through his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson.

"These are matters that I never discussed publicly and are matters that should have remained private," Rolen said. "I will not dignify Tony's comments with any response at this time."

Rolen was fighting fatigue and soreness in his surgically repaired left shoulder when he hit .188 without an RBI in the first two rounds of 2006 NL playoffs. Saying Rolen's swing didn't look right, La Russa benched him for Game 2 of the NL championship series.

Rolen wasn't happy about it, and the two stopped talking to each other.

In the World Series, Rolen hit .421 with a homer, three doubles and two RBIs as the Cardinals beat the Detroit Tigers in five games.

La Russa said Wednesday that Rolen asked for a trade, and the Cardinals are exploring their options. But he insisted that the team won't "accommodate" Rolen.

"There's absolutely no intention to accommodate Scott. I mean, that's not how you run an organization," La Russa said. "The idea is to accommodate the St. Louis Cardinals, our team, our responsibility to our players and to the competition.

"So, no, I don't want to accommodate Scott. But somebody doesn't want to be part of the situation, you investigate it."

The Los Angeles Dodgers are among those interested.

"They can make their inquiries," La Russa said. "But the whole idea isn't to please Scott; it's to take care of the St. Louis Cardinals."

Seth Levinson made it sound as if a trade was inevitable.

"It is entirely disingenuous for Tony to claim to be mystified when last year, the organization in a conference call apologized for his highly inappropriate behavior," he said. "This year, Tony wrote a letter and left a follow-up voicemail which would prove to any reasonable person that the relationship is irreparably damaged."

After batting .296 with 22 homers and 95 RBIs in '06, Rolen dropped to .265, eight homers and 58 RBIs this season. Even so, La Russa said he wants him back.

"Nobody has more often said that I don't think Scott should be traded than me," La Russa said. "I think he should be with our club. I think we need him. We need him to reassert himself as an impact player. I don't care what anybody wants in a trade. We need him and we expect him to be productive."Notes The Cardinals put OF So Taguchi on unconditional release waivers. That trimmed their 40-man roster to 39 players, opening a spot for St. Louis to make a selection in the winter meeting (Rule 5) draft Thursday.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: LaRussa v. Rolen: Round 2

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:19 am

Didn't Rolen have issues in Phillie as well? I'm not a big fan of LaRussa and I can understand why players would be pissed with his micromanagement style but still, it seems like there is always something with Rolen. He was horrible last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby noseeum » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 am

Larussa is pretty much out of line here. If I were the GM, I'd be pretty pissed. Does this make things any easier?

Instead of writing letters to players that pisses them off and makes them demand a trade, then calling them out in the press he should focus on not passing out in his car while it's running and getting the most out of his players.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:34 am

I have a feeling that Rolen is more of the problem here than Tony. After all, this whole thing stemmed from him getting benched during the World Series for reasons Tony thought would help the team win a freakin' trophy.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby RunReyesRun » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 am

Don't know why the Cards wouldn't take Capuano for Rolen at the meetings. Getting a solid lefty is just what STL needed, especially with their weakness at SP and Carpentery being out through the all-star break
RunReyesRun
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am

RunReyesRun wrote:Don't know why the Cards wouldn't take Capuano for Rolen at the meetings. Getting a solid lefty is just what STL needed, especially with their weakness at SP and Carpentery being out through the all-star break

We had to pay too much of his $.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:57 am

LaRussa shouldn't be airing this kind of thing out in public. Sounds like someone woke him early from his nap. Tony just shut your trap and lay your head back down on the steering wheel.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Has Rolen been consistently good in the last few years?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:26 pm

I'm with TLR here. Rolen's value is at an all-time low. So why should the Cards deal him for 50 cents on the dollar cause Rolen says so? You look to make a deal but if you can't get fair value back then you tell Rolen too bad. If he plays good they have a better chance to trade him and everybody wins. If he pouts and plays poorly everybody loses.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:29 pm

acsguitar wrote:Has Rolen been consistently good in the last few years?

No. He was awful last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers