Return to Baseball Leftovers

Micah Owings, 1B?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Micah Owings, 1B?!

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:34 pm

BravesGuy wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Cough Metal Bats Cough College

True. Even Tim Hudson hit pretty well when he was playing at Auburn.
.396/.430/.670 (1.100 OPS) with 18 HR/95 RBI in 273 ABs at the age of 21.

Hudson was still the only guy to touch the ball off of Jennie Finch a few years back during the allstar break.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Field » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:48 pm

I'll put myself in the "why the hell not" camp. The guy has shown he can hit at every level when given the opportunity, even in his limited MLB ABs. I realize that their isn't a solid scouting report on the guy yet and he probably surprised some when he started hitting HRs out of the pitching slot, but nonetheless he had 12 extra base hits in 60 ABs. He played at Tulane, one of the better baseball schools in the country historically and he was their best hitter. They play their fair share of quality opponents. I believe there was some speculation when he came out whether he would be on a pitching or hitting track. Obviously, the D-Backs like almost every MLB team favored pitching. Personally, I think he was a better hitting prospect than a pitching prospect coming out. He has the "stuff" to make it as a mid-level starter, but I don't think he'll ever become that top of the rotation guy. He seemed to get by on grit more than anything else last year, which is definitely a tribute to him considering his age.

Owings has the swing and physical build to provide some power to a lineup that could use it. I'd like to see him atleast have the opportunity to get some consistent at bats and work on the hitting side of things then re-evaluate the situation entering the 2009 season. I don't buy the injury risk argument against playing him in the field, if it was Brandon Webb than it might hold more water. 1B isn't really a position where guys go down with injuries, outfield is a slightly different story.

Depending on how he does in Spring Training, he could make for one of the most interesting platoon players entering the 2008 season.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby cardinal1975 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 am

Let's try to remember that the limited amount of major league at bats Owings has also is a detriment to the pitchers facing him. Granted, with enough major league at bats he could become an average hitter while he pursues his pitching career. If he wants to abandon pitching then maybe he has an opportunity to be a better than average hitter.

Major league pitchers do and will adjust against this guy next year when he is viewed as more dangerous. There are a ton of great hitters in college who do not even make to the majors let alone do anything of relevence at the major league level. The are also a lot of pretty average hitters who look like something special over a limited amount of at bats until the pitchers adjust to them. Chris Shelton anyone? All this being said it is obvious he is a talented hitter but whether he has a better bat (if he continues to pitch) than Conor Jackson or whomever the Dbacks stick at first is defintely up for debate from those who would annoint him a "great hitter"or something other than a great hitter for a pitcher.

Three words.........Small Sample Size

Once he does it over a significantly larger number of at bats is the question. Plenty of pitchers can hit some. Reference to C.Zambrano and D.Willis.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:37 am

I just wouldn't dismiss him because he has proven that he can hit at all levels. Look at Ankiel for example. How long did it take him to get to the MLB as a legitimate hitter after he converted? If you can hit, then you can hit. You just need to hone that skill over time in order to get good enough to play everyday and I think Micah can no doubt do it. I would just have him focused pitching because I think he is a pitcher first.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers