Micah Owings, 1B?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Micah Owings, 1B?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Micah Owings, 1B?!

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Wow. How does Yahoo handle those stats? :-D

Is his bat really that much more valuable than Conn Jackson, Mark Reynolds, or Chad Tracy? I don't do this if I am the manager. I bet it's just a bunch of hot air, but still pretty amusing.

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 5, 2007 12:00 AM

NASHVILLE - Micah Owings' bat could get a little more play next season, and we're not just talking about pinch-hitting appearances.

Owings, who last season made 27 starts out of the Diamondbacks' rotation and posted a 4.30 ERA, could find his way onto the field, perhaps at first base.

"It's potentially, depending on how our roster looks, an option," manager Bob Melvin said Tuesday during a Q&A session with reporters.

Whole article
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Micah Owings, 1B?!

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:54 pm

wow i cant ever remember something like this happening. sure a pitcher may pinch hit or pinch run late in the game, but to get some starts at 1b is something. you would think they might want to use his arm a little more though, maybe out in LF or something.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Legia13 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:35 pm

Wow, it sure would be interesting if he got 1B eligibility. I doubt he would be worth owning as a 1B, but who knows all we have to go off is last season's hitting stats which are top notch for a pitcher.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Remember Brooks Kieschnick? He pitched and played on the field a few years ago.

I can't imagine the DBacks using Micah on the field. Too much risk for injury as an everyday player and he is more valuable on the mound. Plus what the hell do you do with Conor Jackson?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:57 pm

I've always wondered how that would be handled by fantasy league websites. Would you have to draft and manage 1B Micah Owings separately from Pitcher Micah Owings? If not, I can imagine the technical impact to the websites being somewhat significant. Right now, you are prevented from earning any hitting stats from your pitchers. The only other option would be to make the websites and underlying software support all pitching and hitter categories for all players - but that would mean big redesigns I'd think.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Just a thought:

Could it be he hit so well because pitchers didn't realize he was that good of a hitter? Once he starts playing 1B I'd think he'd see harder to hit pitches.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:Just a thought:

Could it be he hit so well because pitchers didn't realize he was that good of a hitter? Once he starts playing 1B I'd think he'd see harder to hit pitches.

No he can absolutely rake. Check out his numbers:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ings.shtml
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:I've always wondered how that would be handled by fantasy league websites. Would you have to draft and manage 1B Micah Owings separately from Pitcher Micah Owings? If not, I can imagine the technical impact to the websites being somewhat significant. Right now, you are prevented from earning any hitting stats from your pitchers. The only other option would be to make the websites and underlying software support all pitching and hitter categories for all players - but that would mean big redesigns I'd think.

that's be my guess on how it would work
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Steve-o » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Yoda wrote:Remember Brooks Kieschnick? He pitched and played on the field a few years ago.

I can't imagine the DBacks using Micah on the field. Too much risk for injury as an everyday player and he is more valuable on the mound. Plus what the hell do you do with Conor Jackson?

How could I forget Brooks? Don't you see my avatar? :-D

Anyways, as I said in another thread, the D-Backs don't consider Jackson a viable long term solution at 1B anymore because of his absence of a power progression. He only got 2/3 of the ABs last year, and figures to get the same or less this year. I think it's going to be Tracy and Reynolds at the corners more often this year.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Just a thought:

No he can absolutely rake. Check out his numbers:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... ings.shtml

Yeah he was a great hitter in HS and College. In fact I believe he's still has the second most HRs by a high school player, behind only Drew Henson. Not that it means much, but he's got legitimate skills as a hitter. He's probably got more raw power than Conor Jackson, but not being an everyday hitter for the last few years has probably set him back... This would be a very interesting move if anything were to come of it.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers