Who's left out of the AL Playoff Picture - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's left out of the AL Playoff Picture

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who's left out of the AL Playoff Picture

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:It probably be either Cleveland or Detroit and right now I like Cleveland's chances over Detroit.

Both have solid rotation with good depth.
Detroit definitely has the better offense, but it's a pretty old and injury prone offense (Pudge, Guillen, Polanco, JJ, Ordonez, and Shef), while Cleveland has much younger offense.
Not to mention Detroit has one of the worst bullpen in the AL right now. You are in real trouble when Fernando Rodney is your best RP

When Rodney was healthy last season he was dominant.

I like Detroit to take the Central
Red Sux to win the East
Angels in the West

Cleveland and Yankees will be the wild card teams.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:06 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Next year.

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Angels
Wild Card: Red Sox

Wait, why will the Indians stand a chance against DET? It takes more than Sabathia and Sizemore to haul in the Central.

Carmona, and Hafner aren't too bad
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sublime8414 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:19 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
sublime8414 wrote:I just don't see the yankees winning the division. Francona sat everyone down the Stretch and the red sox still won by two games.

Taking the teams as they are now.

The red sox basically adds ellsbury, lester, and bucholtz.

The yankees add joba and hughes, but to me they see some regression in their older players.

If you're going to regress the Yankees older players, then you should probably expect Boston's older players to regress too.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize boston had an older roster (2nd oldest in the league). I was only really thinking about position players, and I didn't realize how old the boston pitching staff was.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 pm

sublime8414 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:
sublime8414 wrote:I just don't see the yankees winning the division. Francona sat everyone down the Stretch and the red sox still won by two games.

Taking the teams as they are now.

The red sox basically adds ellsbury, lester, and bucholtz.

The yankees add joba and hughes, but to me they see some regression in their older players.

If you're going to regress the Yankees older players, then you should probably expect Boston's older players to regress too.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize boston had an older roster (2nd oldest in the league). I was only really thinking about position players, and I didn't realize how old the boston pitching staff was.

Ortiz and Manny have both had health problems in the last two seasons too.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:11 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
sublime8414 wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:

Ortiz and Manny have both had health problems in the last two seasons too.

No to mention Varitek and Schilling's steady decline, Lugo and Drew's inconsistency, possible Lowell regression and reliance on a rookie in CF.

Not saying I wouldn't want to be them (they are still probably the best team in baseball on paper), but if they don't get Santana, I think they and the Yankees are pretty similar. Pitching nod goes to Boston, while the Yankees have the more dominant lineup.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:09 pm

moochman wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:It probably be either Cleveland or Detroit and right now I like Cleveland's chances over Detroit.

Both have solid rotation with good depth.
Detroit definitely has the better offense, but it's a pretty old and injury prone offense (Pudge, Guillen, Polanco, JJ, Ordonez, and Shef), while Cleveland has much younger offense.
Not to mention Detroit has one of the worst bullpen in the AL right now. You are in real trouble when Fernando Rodney is your best RP

When Rodney was healthy last season he was dominant.

I like Detroit to take the Central
Red Sux to win the East
Angels in the West

Cleveland and Yankees will be the wild card teams.

When are they adding another wild card team??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm

AL West: (Token crazy biased pick) Oakland (Although if Anaheim keep adding Torii Hunters I could be right.............)
AL Central: Detroit
AL East: Boston - Special mention: Tampa Bay.
Wild Card: Cleveland

Bonus prediction: Hank Steinbrenner , on missing the finals fires everyone , including BronXBombers51 who becomes Beane'sBoy51. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby TheGhost76777 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:08 am

The Indians will be the odd team out for sure. While every other team in the Central has made impact moves, they have stood pat, and will continue to do so according to Shapiro.

They have got offer after offer for Cliff Lee, who might not even be in the rotation next year, and Shapiro refuses to trade him. They turned down a Marte/Gutierrez/Laffey for Jason Bay deal. They turned down Delmon Young for Adam Miller. They turned down Miguel Cabrera for Miller and Asdrubal Cabrera.

They have very good pitching, but the lineup isn't going to be there next year. I think Hafner is going to be on the Mitchell report. His days of leading the AL in SLG are long gone. He is just your typical DH now. Grady is overrated. Strikes out way too much. Jhonny Peralta challenges Derek Jeter for worst defensive short stop in the AL. Casey Blake continues to be the poster boy of what not to do with runners in scoring position. They have no left fielder, thought teams keep offering studs to them in trades. And I'm not sold on Carmona being a Cy Young candidate again.

East: Sox
Central: Tigers
West: Angels
WC: Yankees

The Tigers will have the best record in the AL, followed by the Sox.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:37 am

Sox, Tigers, Angels, Yankees looks right on paper, but we all know that won't be the case. Who's the odd team in that isn't the Indians? Mariners? I doubt they will be the sleeper team again, but it's tough to see any other AL team challenging other than those 6 teams. Who's the up and comer?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby PerfectTen66 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 am

jfg wrote:Sox, Tigers, Angels, Yankees looks right on paper, but we all know that won't be the case. Who's the odd team in that isn't the Indians? Mariners? I doubt they will be the sleeper team again, but it's tough to see any other AL team challenging other than those 6 teams. Who's the up and comer?

I agree that it will come down to those teams, but I thought I would give you a bit of a surprise team. I think the Blue Jays may be your team. Sure, they won't finish higher than 3rd in the East, but I think they will make things interesting through July and August. I still expect the Sox and Yanks to finish 1-2, but if Toronto were in the NL, they might win it and would definitely make the playoffs.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers