Jayson Nix: Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jayson Nix: Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jayson Nix: Thoughts

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:59 am

So the rockies look ready to give Jayson Nix a shot at 2nd Base.

Tracy Ringolsby says that scouts are calling him strong defensively but every scouting report I read says he's better offensively.

He seems to have decent speed and was recently the World Cup MVP for the US I believe.

Anyways anyone have any ideas about him. I'm wondering if he is that much better defensively then Ian Stewart could be a 2B
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jayson Nix: Thoughts

Postby talk show host » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:33 pm

Loretta hits 339 in Coors Igutchi is available Nix may not be ready as a hitter
talk show host
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:09 pm

talk show host wrote:Loretta hits 339 in Coors Igutchi is available Nix may not be ready as a hitter

Thats true. I'm just wondering why the roxs would add another 2B to the mix.

backer, stewart, iguchi/loretta, and nix all battling, oh and Jamey carroll.

You'd think we could get a lot for stewart/baker
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

From what I've heard, he is a great defensive player. Carney Lansford called him the best 2B he's ever seen defensively. It looks like he's made strong strides on his offensive game as well, and I fully expect him to be in the mix for the 2B job next season.

However, I don't know if he'll win the job. As ACS mentioned, there are plenty of candidates who will be vying for the position. If Stewart can make the transition successfully (up in the air right now), he might be the best option (he'd have the most potential anyways). Baker - not a fan of him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. The same goes for Carroll and Barmes - at least one has to be traded, and there seems to be mild interest. And then of course there are the free agent or trade possibilities, most notably Chris Burke and Mark Loretta, and to a lesser extent, Tad Iguchi and Marcus Giles.

I like Loretta, who has hit well at Coors, can play multiple positions, and it seems like he wants to play in Colorado. Burke could be worth a shot as well(rumors had the Rockies offering Barmes for him, which I'd take in a heartbeat, but Houston seems to want a starting pitcher and reliever, so a deal seems less likely). I read that Iguchi doesn't want to play in Colorado, and Giles is bleh.

So to sum up, the Rockies second base situation in 08 is very clouded right now with a large field of candidates. My preference would be Stewart, if he can make the transition to play an adequate fielder. After him, I like Loretta if he can be had a decent price, or see what Nix can do.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers