Stephen Drew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stephen Drew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Stephen Drew

Postby Field » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Yoda wrote:I think he is a breakout candidate. He's capable of 20+ bombs easily with a good AVG.

He's probably the only obvious breakout canidate at the position. Taking a quick look, there really isn't anyone else who seems primed for such a season, meaning he will probably go for a premium on draft day. I'm not expecting a monster season by any means, but I think he'll still out-performs his draft position. He could very well be around the 50th ranked player at the end of the 08 season while I expect his ADP to be around 90-120.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:12 pm

He was not drafted in 4 of 5 mocks, and 17th round-196 in the last. :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:23 pm

wkelly91 wrote:He was not drafted in 4 of 5 mocks, and 17th round-196 in the last. :-?

He's the type of guy you want to take a shot at late in the draft. Highly praised former prospect with obvious talent coming off a down year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:57 pm

I'm staying away, his numbers were horrible last year, in a pitcher's park, and I haven't heard a good reason... was there a wrist injury last year?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:32 am

Niffoc4 wrote:I'm staying away, his numbers were horrible last year, in a pitcher's park, and I haven't heard a good reason... was there a wrist injury last year?

It was his rookie season so keep that in mind. A lot of first year players don't perform but that doesn't mean they can't improve. His MiLB numbers show that he is capable of becoming a star player.

How do you figure AZ is a pitcher's park. Please explain.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 am

Yoda wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:I'm staying away, his numbers were horrible last year, in a pitcher's park, and I haven't heard a good reason... was there a wrist injury last year?

It was his rookie season so keep that in mind. A lot of first year players don't perform but that doesn't mean they can't improve. His MiLB numbers show that he is capable of becoming a star player.

sorry... doing two things at once... I meant hitter's park, and that's what he's had throughout his minor-league career. It's not unheard of for ARZ prospects to burn out in the majors...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:12 am

Niffoc4 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

sorry... doing two things at once... I meant hitter's park, and that's what he's had throughout his minor-league career. It's not unheard of for ARZ prospects to burn out in the majors...

What other hitting prospect burned out? You need to be more clear.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:41 am

Scott Hairston for one, though that's not completely his fault, and it's not over yet.
Conor Jackson hasn't developed the power people expected, though he is a decent regular
Josh Kroeger
Sergio Santos
Luis Terrero
Alex Cintron

I could be off on this (and I still get drawn in by guys like Drew and Quentin), but I feel like with the collection of hitters parks that Arizona has it leads to overrating of their prospects... I feel like I am missing another big 2B prospect that fell short for them, but I can't think of it right now.
That's not to say that I am not a Chris Young fan, or that I wouldn't take Justin Upton, its just something to be aware of with Arizona prospects (something similar happens with Anaheim prospects as well IIRC).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kellythemick » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:11 am

Yoda wrote:It was his rookie season so keep that in mind. A lot of first year players don't perform but that doesn't mean they can't improve. His MiLB numbers show that he is capable of becoming a star player.

More like a soph slump after 209 AB's the year before with decent avg. and OBP.
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:35 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Scott Hairston for one, though that's not completely his fault, and it's not over yet.
Conor Jackson hasn't developed the power people expected, though he is a decent regular
Josh Kroeger
Sergio Santos
Luis Terrero
Alex Cintron

I could be off on this (and I still get drawn in by guys like Drew and Quentin), but I feel like with the collection of hitters parks that Arizona has it leads to overrating of their prospects... I feel like I am missing another big 2B prospect that fell short for them, but I can't think of it right now.
That's not to say that I am not a Chris Young fan, or that I wouldn't take Justin Upton, its just something to be aware of with Arizona prospects (something similar happens with Anaheim prospects as well IIRC).

I don't really think you are being fair. Quentin was hurt, too early to write off Drew based on his first full season, Young was great, Upton held his own as a 19 yo, Jackson is decent and Reynolds was better than expected. In any case, Drew plays in a decent lineup and a great ballpark. He is power hitting SS who you can pick up late in the draft. He won't cost you much and the potential reward is pretty high.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers