Thoughts on Kelly Johnson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Kelly Johnson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Kelly Johnson?

Postby BravesGuy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:36 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:He's a fairly solid hitter, but I had to drop him off my team last year because Bobby Cox started to platoon him sometime after the All-Star Break. If the Manager isn't sold enough on the guy to give him a full-time gig, I'm not sure how much I can be sold on him.

If he comes into ST guaranteed of a full-time role then I might draft him somewhere after the Top 10 though. I don't have the stats in front of me but I think he's got a much higher BA against lefties, which was part of the reason for the platoon.

Bobby platooned Kelly because he wanted to give Yunel Escobar some ABs. With Rentaria gone Escobar will be the fulltime SS. Johnson will be the everyday 2B next year.

Oh, also he hit .272 vs. Lefties and .278 vs. Righties.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:00 am

wkelly91 wrote:Johnson went : 150, 153, and 155 in three drafts since...

I have:

Kelly Johnson .290-100-20-80-10
Ian Kinsler .275-100-25-70-25
Rickie Weeks .270-100-20-55-30

The other two may have more stolen base upside...but I think Johnson is a more rounded hitter. Either way they are all close..IMHO

based on YOUR projections I would probably take both kinsler and weeks over johnson....
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:07 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
wkelly91 wrote:Johnson went : 150, 153, and 155 in three drafts since...

I have:

Kelly Johnson .290-100-20-80-10
Ian Kinsler .275-100-25-70-25
Rickie Weeks .270-100-20-55-30

The other two may have more stolen base upside...but I think Johnson is a more rounded hitter. Either way they are all close..IMHO

based on YOUR projections I would probably take both kinsler and weeks over johnson....

With "My" projections...Johnson and Kinsler boil down to .015 of BA versus 15 SB's. With Weeks it would be .020 and 25 runs versus 20 SB's. In mocks I have seen thus far...Kinsler is going a lot earlier than KJ, and Weeks slightly earlier. Thus my preference for KJ.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm

And, if you look at the "target production for roto" thread, you'd see that the BA difference in favor of KJ is worth about the same as the SB difference for the others.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:08 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:how would you guys rank him if your league counts OBP instead of AVG?

I would have to assume that puts Weeks above both of them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:28 am

I'm not too concerned about where to rank KJ at. I don't see alot of seperation between at least 5 2B and will let other drafters make their picks and I'll use my picks on other positions (looking for bargains).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:how would you guys rank him if your league counts OBP instead of AVG?

Yes, I would think so. Career Weeks' OBP is .357, while KJ is .360, and Kinsler is .351. KJ definitely comes out 3rd there, as he doesn't have that big BA advantage anymore.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:37 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Ender wrote:

Yes, I would think so. Career Weeks' OBP is .357, while KJ is .360, and Kinsler is .351. KJ definitely comes out 3rd there, as he doesn't have that big BA advantage anymore.

i think KJ is much more likely to put up an OBP closer to his last year of .375, the .360 career is due to 2005 where he hit .241 in 300 ABs but still had an OBP of .334

he even OBP'd closer to .400 for a lot of last year until he struggled a little and started getting platooned
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
i think KJ is much more likely to put up an OBP closer to his last year of .375, the .360 career is due to 2005 where he hit .241 in 300 ABs but still had an OBP of .334

he even OBP'd closer to .400 for a lot of last year until he struggled a little and started getting platooned

Yes, but Weeks also batted just .235 last year and still had an OBP of .374 and he also had an early year where he hit .233 and OBP'd .333. I think it is very likely that Weeks OBP will be a lot closer to KJ's OBP than his average will be.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers