Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby npeggs » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Carlos Guillen has played over 150 games the last two seasons, so I don't know what this business about him "not staying healthy" is. The move to first (or 3B depending on what happens to Miggy) should save wear and tear on him playing a less demanding position.
npeggs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 31
Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Its nice to see you too acs. ;-D

Anyway, you are right, the Tigers have a lot of contact and high OBP guys in Polly, Renteria, and Guillen. Pretty much exactly what I would want when I think of the optimal way to build an offense. Surround big time sluggers with guys who get on base - sounds great to me. You see a negative that Polly is just a singles hitter, while I see that as a positive, and the same goes for renteria.

You are mistaken about Guillen, although that argument would have made sense a few years ago.

Granderson is a stud, you are right - and you know what - most people around him think he's only going to get better. If you slept on him last season, thats fine, dont make the same mistake again this yr. Looking at his numbers and saying he wont repeat is a mistake - watch him play, watch him interview, listen to those around him - he is absolutely no fluke.

As far as sounding desperate, arent you a Yankme fan? Seems to me that all Yankme fans should feel a little more desperate right about now. :-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby Bogey9906 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:
All they did was add Miggy to the offense and renteria who although hits for a decent average doesn't do much more.


Miggy alone is more than any other team will add to their offense this offseason.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 218
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SoCal

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby kev921 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:51 pm

acs, maybe in Denver everybody swings for the fences, but isn't the # 2 batter supposed to advance the leadoff hitter and get on base for the #3 or #4 hitters? What better way than being a great singles hitter. ;-D
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 657
Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kauffman Stadium

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Its nice to see you too acs. ;-D

Anyway, you are right, the Tigers have a lot of contact and high OBP guys in Polly, Renteria, and Guillen. Pretty much exactly what I would want when I think of the optimal way to build an offense. Surround big time sluggers with guys who get on base - sounds great to me. You see a negative that Polly is just a singles hitter, while I see that as a positive, and the same goes for renteria.

You are mistaken about Guillen, although that argument would have made sense a few years ago.

Granderson is a stud, you are right - and you know what - most people around him think he's only going to get better. If you slept on him last season, thats fine, dont make the same mistake again this yr. Looking at his numbers and saying he wont repeat is a mistake - watch him play, watch him interview, listen to those around him - he is absolutely no fluke.

As far as sounding desperate, arent you a Yankme fan? Seems to me that all Yankme fans should feel a little more desperate right about now. :-o


excatly...Granderson is a class act and quickly becoming my favorite athlete in Detroit
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:09 pm

This line-up is unreal. Here is how I would like to see it, off the top of my head. And I do not think this is how Leyland will see it.
1) Granderson-probably the best leadoff man in the Tigers line-up. Though would really love to see Polanco lead off.
2) Polanco-An arguement can be made that he is the best #2 hitter in the game today. Uncanny ability to hit behind runners and drive in men in scoring position.
3) Migs-What need be said? Walks may go down as he sees better pitches to hit due to who he hits in front of, but power numbers could increase.
4) Mags-Not as much HR power as you'd like to see, but that is being picky.
5) Sheff-Power to clean up anything that might be left to go with great eye, good on-base ability.
6) Gullien-Lefty who hits for AVE and decent power. Move to first should help health and increase numbers.
7) Pudge-hard to place him any further down. He has to have someone behind him who pitchers have some fear of. Could still see enough pitches to hit 280ish. Any further down and he might get eye high pitches to swing and miss at.
8) Renteria-Good hitter, studly at this part of a line-up. Fits better here than Granderson as he is a better contact hitter.
9) Jones/Thames-pesky hitter or power hitter in the nine hole. Better production overall than Inge could give them.

Inge is now a replacement at third or OF??? when they want to give someone rest or for D in late innings. Or trade bait.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby Ender » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:52 pm

My money is on a regression out of Granderson. He won't repeat his .360 BABIP and its unlikely he repeats those triples because well it is just rare for guys to get that many on a regular basis. He might add a couple HR's. I'd probably put him down for more of a .270 AVG with similar stats as last year so still a very strong player but not over .900 OPS again and a much lower OBP.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Ender wrote:My money is on a regression out of Granderson. He won't repeat his .360 BABIP and its unlikely he repeats those triples because well it is just rare for guys to get that many on a regular basis. He might add a couple HR's. I'd probably put him down for more of a .270 AVG with similar stats as last year so still a very strong player but not over .900 OPS again and a much lower OBP.


It really depends on his Ks. If he can improve or maintain 05, 07 levels then he will be fine.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby acsguitar » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:37 pm

kev921 wrote:acs, maybe in Denver everybody swings for the fences, but isn't the # 2 batter supposed to advance the leadoff hitter and get on base for the #3 or #4 hitters? What better way than being a great singles hitter. ;-D



Hey Kaz and Willy T were singles guys.

I'm just saying the way people are putting it out there its like they are the next Murderers row
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Holy Tigers Offense!!!!!!

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Im kinda with ACS (as usual) here. A lot of those players on the tigers are getting up there in age. And you gotta ask yourself what are the chances granderson and ordonez repeat their offense seasons. I'm not saying they wont, but I would also say there is a good chance they regress. However, with the addition of Mcab and Renteria (over casey) I say that they have to be better than last years team.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2021
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cafe of Fantasies

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armandopn, joiingds, Majestic-12 [Bot], unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 15
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact