Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:14 pm

tvv44 wrote:
Does anyone know if the Tigers are still in the mix for Latroy Hawkins?

nothing definate but my guess is too much $$$ at this point unless they can move Inge
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:53 pm

I am totally stunned and estatic. I would have posted something earlier but I had an accident. 8-o
I know that in a day or so we'll learn that Willis flunked a physical or something to negate the greatest trade in Tiger history.

They take a hit defensively this season with MCab instead of Inge, but his bat will more than make up for things. Last season Sheffield's presence was thought to be one of the reasons for Magglio's great season. What now with Renteria and MCab added to an already potent line-up? And, I think, MCab will take a walk. And as an added bonus, MCab plays in a bad park for his power number, even worse than Comerica National Park. He could hit much better with a friendlier yard and better bats around him.
Crap, I just had another accident1 8-o

In Willis the Tiges get a pitcher with potential to regain his form and be a dominant Cy Young type lefty. Or all they hoped that Miller would some day be. At worse this part of the trade is potential for potential. In an interview on espn Willis sounded pumped to be going to Detroit. Sounded like a guy who may have felt defeated in Florida for whatever reasons and see renewed hope.
Crap, I just had another accident1 8-o

With this trade the Tigers now have a most loaded line-up and a very respectable and potentially dominant staff. Bullpen will be helped by having an inning eater like Willis pushing Durbins and Minors into bull pen duty. When and if Zumaya returns from his freak injury....

As for the prospects that they gave up, sure it may leave the cupboard a little bare but we still have the people in place who filled the darn thing up in the first place. No Worries ;-D Dombrowski now has the crowning jewel on what looks to be a lengendary career. He gives the Tigers a chance to win now and in the future with this brilliant trade.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:50 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
stumpak wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:1. Curtis Granderson
2. Edgar Renteria
3. Magglio Ordonez
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Guillen
7. Placido Polanco
8. Ivan Rodriguez
9. Marcus Thames

Maybe Edgar and Polanco switch spots, I dunno.

The short answer would be RIDONKULOUS!

I think it is easy to overrate this line-up. Most people agree that Granderson overperformed last year and will not quite duplicate the same level of success this year. IRod and Sheffield are as old as dirt and are not locks to continue performing at the elite level. It stands to be a good line-up, but several of these guys have strong risk factors.

Who are these people and why do they think that? He's done nothing but continue to improve in his two years in the bigs, he crushes RHP, and he still has plenty of room for improvement against LHP and with his K and BB rates. I for one think he'll easily be as good as last year.

I think Granderson still Ks a bit too much but he did improve there in 07. But yeah, I think he has a lot of room for improvement and should only get better.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Looks like I am the only 1 that thinks that Inge at 3B and Cabrera in LF is a much better option than Cabrera at 3B and Jones/Thames in LF. Sure, Inge had a bad season offensively but he will bounce back and his glove is great. Oh well. He could net a decent return in a trade.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:39 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Looks like I am the only 1 that thinks that Inge at 3B and Cabrera in LF is a much better option than Cabrera at 3B and Jones/Thames in LF. Sure, Inge had a bad season offensively but he will bounce back and his glove is great. Oh well. He could net a decent return in a trade.

I think that gives them the most balance on offense/defense. MCab supposedly lost 15 lbs this offseason so he should be quicker on his feet out there. Still, isn't that a huge OF to cover?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Looks like I am the only 1 that thinks that Inge at 3B and Cabrera in LF is a much better option than Cabrera at 3B and Jones/Thames in LF. Sure, Inge had a bad season offensively but he will bounce back and his glove is great. Oh well. He could net a decent return in a trade.

I think Inge is most expendable because Guillen and Jones are both left-handed in a right handed heavy lineup.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Inge isnt as good as you may think at 3B. He had something like 40 errors there over the last 2 years and his fielding % puts him right about 15th of all full time 3B last yr. Granted he is better defensively than MCab, but not THAT much better.

There have been rumors of moving Guillen to 3B - and thats just sillyness. Guillen's rubber arm was bouncing throws to first from SS, and now people are talking about him throwing all the way across the diamond? I dont think so. They moved him to 1B for a reason.

MCab will play 3B for the Tigers. Inge is almost certainly gone IMO - no way he will bow aside gracefully at this point. Remember, this is the C who was upset they got Pudge. Inge has way too much pride to accept a bench role. I give him another month at the max for the olde english D.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Inge isnt as good as you may think at 3B. He had something like 40 errors there over the last 2 years and his fielding % puts him right about 15th of all full time 3B last yr. Granted he is better defensively than MCab, but not THAT much better.

There have been rumors of moving Guillen to 3B - and thats just sillyness. Guillen's rubber arm was bouncing throws to first from SS, and now people are talking about him throwing all the way across the diamond? I dont think so. They moved him to 1B for a reason.

MCab will play 3B for the Tigers. Inge is almost certainly gone IMO - no way he will bow aside gracefully at this point. Remember, this is the C who was upset they got Pudge. Inge has way too much pride to accept a bench role. I give him another month at the max for the olde english D.

He did have a lot of errors this season but he also had the most chances. I am not too impressed by fielding %. I prefer range factor, where he was 3rd in the AL and % points from 1st, and zone rating, where he was 1st.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:47 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Inge isnt as good as you may think at 3B. He had something like 40 errors there over the last 2 years and his fielding % puts him right about 15th of all full time 3B last yr. Granted he is better defensively than MCab, but not THAT much better.

He did have a lot of errors this season but he also had the most chances. I am not too impressed by fielding %. I prefer range factor, where he was 3rd in the AL and % points from 1st, and zone rating, where he was 1st.

I like Inge and think he should play 3B but let's face it, they didn't sign Jones to sit. Good move for both squads IMO, if nothing else it should be an exciting year in the AL again.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:00 am

perlick29 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I like Inge and think he should play 3B but let's face it, they didn't sign Jones to sit. Good move for both squads IMO, if nothing else it should be an exciting year in the AL again.

They actually traded for Jones and I'm sure that they didn't have visions of trading for Cabrera at the time. Either way, it looks like Inge will be dealt. :-/
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers