Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cabrera and Dontrelle to Tigers for 6 prospects!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:52 am

MTUCache wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:1. Curtis Granderson
2. Edgar Renteria
3. Magglio Ordonez
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Guillen
7. Placido Polanco
8. Ivan Rodriguez
9. Marcus Thames

Maybe Edgar and Polanco switch spots, I dunno.

The short answer would be RIDONKULOUS!

No wonder I couldn't wrap my head around it, yikes. Talk about a well balanced team.

And DET would have what for a starting rotation?

Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson, DTrain, KRogers? (no particular order) Rogers is still on DET right?

Not exactly the right batting order... but close.

1.) Granderson (not a lock, could bat ninth...)
2.) Polanco (one of the bets two-hole hitters in the game, and Leyland loves him)
3.) Cabrerra
4.) Sheffield
5.) Ordonez (these middle three are really hard to call, could be the exact opposite actually)
6.) Guillen
7.) Renteria
8.) Pudge Rodriguez
9.) Jacque Jones (with Thames getting the lefty-starts in LF)

Rotation is going to be:
Verlander, Bonderman, Willis, Rogers (yes, he signed a one year deal), and Nate Robertson.

Re-god-damn-diculous.... I honestly don't care if we are renting our lineup for a run in the next couple of years. Giving up Miller and Maybin hurts our prospects, a lot. But this is just too huge to pass up, even if it is just for a year or two.

that's my take on the lineup as well...but dont forget, Leyland likes to mix things up and give his guys some rest, so i wouldnt be surprised to see Inge in there 3 or 4 games a week at various positions to give guys a rest, so i'm sure we'll see Miggy in LF some games, Guillen at SS, etc

as for Inge...i dont think he has any choice to become a super-sub (unless they deal him). he's great defensively but sucks at the plate...sure he has some pop but as someone who watches a lot of Tigers games, if you need a Sac fly or clutch single, forget it. assuming Vance Wilson comes into the Spring healthy i doubt Inge becomes the backup catcher

Willis...i agree, he's average at best, but dude can at least give you a lot of solid innings, something the Tigers had issues with last year with their flavor-of-the-week 5th starter. even with a 5.00 ERA if he can go 7 innings every start and keep the bullpen fresh i'll take it

the drop in 3B D from Miggy to Inge hurts, but i think the 100 points Miggy could outhit him by is worth it

for those who suggested Guillen at 3rd...i doubt it, he was always bouncing balls in the dirt from SS, i'm not sure he can even make the throw from 3rd.

it hurts to give up Maybin and Miller, but i think the Tigers time to win is now, not 5 years from now so i can see why they made the deal. Tigers owner Mike Illitch is getting up there as well, so i'm guessing he wants to see a title soon

only thing that concerns me about Detroit is their health
Sheff is coming of shoulder surgery, Guillen always seems to miss games, Rogers is a huge ?, Zumaya needs to come back healthy...and then you have Bonderman, but that's another story

bottom line: they put themselves into an excellent position to contend for a WS this year, even if they did give up some excellent prospects.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 am

DL - Willis is avg at best? He's just two years removed from 22 wins and finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting - and he's only 25. Call me crazy but Willis' best puts him as the Cy Young winner on this team.
Last edited by Cornbread Maxwell on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 am

WOW this is some trade.....talk about mortgaging your future, However, one thing everyone should discover here. Is that Cabrera is still a pup, @ 24 yrs old. and arguably could still develop into one of the games best players EVER? A Vladimir Guerrero type hitter.....all he needs is some dedication, lose some weight (reports have him doing so) and the other player Dontrelle Willis, ain't an old geezer either. Both these players are hitting there prime years, or are about. Here Here, to the Tigers for pulling this one off.

C.Granderson - CF
E.Renteria - SS
M.Cabrera - 3B
M.Ordonez - RF
G.Sheffield - DH
C.Guillen - 1B
I.Rodriguez - C
J.Jones/M.Thames - LF
P.Polanco - 2B

Verlander - SP1 (Righty)
Bonderman - SP2 (Righty)
Willis - SP3 (Lefty)
Rogers - SP4 (Lefty)
Robertson - SP5 (Lefty)

Jones - CL

Polanco hitting ninth!!! Crazy, (as someone has stated, you could flip flop Polanco with Renteria) Inge will now have to be moved for prospects if possible. All they need is some more Bullpen Help. One of the best Rosters In Baseball? Three Lefties in a Rotation is a Bonus, Zumaya (future closer) out for a quarter/half of the season will hurt, but....
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 277)

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:27 am

2. Edgar Renteria
3. Magglio Ordonez
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Guillen
7. Placido Polanco
8. Ivan Rodriguez
9. Marcus Thames

I think it is easy to overrate this line-up. Most people agree that Granderson overperformed last year and will not quite duplicate the same level of success this year. IRod and Sheffield are as old as dirt and are not locks to continue performing at the elite level. It stands to be a good line-up, but several of these guys have strong risk factors.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:28 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:DL - Willis is avg at best? He's just one year removed from 22 wins and finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting - and he's only 25. Call me crazy but Willis' best puts him as the Cy Young winner on this team.

Cy Young voting doesn't really mean much when you look at the future. His peripherals are declining and while I do not believe he is as bad as he looked in 07, I don't think he will win a Cy any time soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:39 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:DL - Willis is avg at best? He's just two years removed from 22 wins and finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting - and he's only 25. Call me crazy but Willis' best puts him as the Cy Young winner on this team.

i'm just not overly excited by him...i've always looked at him as a guy with a gimmicky delivery that if you can figure it out is just OK...i'll still take him over what we had last year though

i also think Leyland might mix up the rotation so that we dont have R,R,L,L,L...maybe something like
Verlander
Willis
Bondo
Rogers
Robertson
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:51 am

Wow... I am so jealous of Tigers fans right now. I wish I could have woken up to this news. :-L
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:DL - Willis is avg at best? He's just two years removed from 22 wins and finishing 2nd in Cy Young voting - and he's only 25. Call me crazy but Willis' best puts him as the Cy Young winner on this team.

i'm just not overly excited by him...i've always looked at him as a guy with a gimmicky delivery that if you can figure it out is just OK...i'll still take him over what we had last year though

i also think Leyland might mix up the rotation so that we dont have R,R,L,L,L...maybe something like
Verlander
Willis
Bondo
Rogers
Robertson

Most certainly, no way Jimmy leaves the rotation R-R-L-L-L, he will balance it out. R-L-R-L-L
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 277)

Postby tvv44 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:40 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Verlander
Willis
Bondo
Rogers
Robertson

Most certainly, no way Jimmy leaves the rotation R-R-L-L-L, he will balance it out. R-L-R-L-L

I see the rotation shaping up to be something like this:

Rogers - L
Verlander - R
Willis - L
Bonderman - R
Robertson - L

Does anyone know if the Tigers are still in the mix for Latroy Hawkins?
Owner of the Detroit Tigers in Strike Zone Dynasty
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 pm

stumpak wrote:
2. Edgar Renteria
3. Magglio Ordonez
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Carlos Guillen
7. Placido Polanco
8. Ivan Rodriguez
9. Marcus Thames

I think it is easy to overrate this line-up. Most people agree that Granderson overperformed last year and will not quite duplicate the same level of success this year. IRod and Sheffield are as old as dirt and are not locks to continue performing at the elite level. It stands to be a good line-up, but several of these guys have strong risk factors.

Who are these people and why do they think that? He's done nothing but continue to improve in his two years in the bigs, he crushes RHP, and he still has plenty of room for improvement against LHP and with his K and BB rates. I for one think he'll easily be as good as last year.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers