New contracts and the Mitchell report - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New contracts and the Mitchell report

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New contracts and the Mitchell report

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:21 pm

I saw some people talking about this in the Guillen thread. Do you think there is language in new contracts that void the contract if their name turns up? Or is baseball going to void all existing contracts on the list? That seems like it would be a mess.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New contracts and the Mitchell report

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:39 pm

jfg wrote:I saw some people talking about this in the Guillen thread. Do you think there is language in new contracts that void the contract if their name turns up? Or is baseball going to void all existing contracts on the list? That seems like it would be a mess.

I have wondered about this as well and think that they might change the language but what can they really do?? Can they suspend someone that might not have failed a drug test?? I don't think so.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Yeah me either. I think they are going to have a huge mess on their hands when that report comes out. I guess it all depends on how the public reacts but from what we've seen in the past the public isn't going to be very happy.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Most GMs have indicated that the pending Mitchell Report won't affect their decisions in the free agent market. That leads me to either assume that they are putting some sort of compensation clause into the contracts or that they don't expect the league to take any disciplinary action against the outed players.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:55 pm

They won't be able to do anything. It's buyer beware. If Yanks couldn't seek any compensation from Giambi who was caught red handed confessing, then there's nothing anyone else can do.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:06 pm

As was mentioned earlier, Jason Giambi admitted steroid use and the Yankees,who were rumored to be looking into voiding his contract, had no recourse.I think the same applies to other clubs.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:14 pm

True, but what do you think might be in contracts being put together this offseason? Or, is language like that not allowed in contracts?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby noseeum » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:19 pm

jfg wrote:True, but what do you think might be in contracts being put together this offseason? Or, is language like that not allowed in contracts?

There already is some standard language in the contracts, and there always has been, but the view from the player's association has always been that it's not enforceable because the labor agreement supercedes any individual contract. So far the owners haven't been willing to try to refute that, and believe me, they're not going to use the Mitchell report to do so. The primary motivation is still to get this stuff wrapped up ASAP so they all can move on. A labor war would not help.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Good point.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:25 am

jfg wrote:Yeah me either. I think they are going to have a huge mess on their hands when that report comes out. I guess it all depends on how the public reacts but from what we've seen in the past the public isn't going to be very happy.

I forgot to add that. They will be prosecuted in the court of public opinion but probably not MLB court.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers