Dynasty Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dynasty Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Advice

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm taking over a vacated dynasty team this year and I've never played the format before. Anybody care to offer some advice? I'm most interested in things like how to value prospects and draft picks in trades and prospects v. vets in draft strategy. It's a points league that does a snake draft for all unowned players each year.

Thx

D
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Advice

Postby hot4tx » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:52 pm

One tip - while you definitely should consider age and potential when valuing players, don't overvalue them. In both FBB and FFB, I see new dynasty owners putting too much stock in getting young guys or guys with potential way too early. Consider how rare it is for guys to turn into 1st-round fantasy players, how many guys come out each year with top potential, and how many guys end up being busts or fantasy afterthoughts.

When you load up on all young guys way too early instead of taking some top guys available, you're making it such a huge long shot that more than a couple of your guys pan out. Even if you're going to begin thinking about playing for 2009 or 2010, the more value you can get on your team the better. And if nothing else those established stars can fetch some good draft picks or young keepers from playoff teams come trade deadline.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:47 pm

My strategy in Dynasty is usually just to take the player available with the highest value (you do have to take age into account but as said earlier don't make this your the only thing you look at). Many dynasty leagues have the amount of trades completed in the hundreds. It is easy to get rid of a player and go young, or the opposite.

For example in one I had Joe Mauer and the best player available was clearly Brian McCann. I drafted him anyway and then turned him around and a prospect for Beltran.

You need to pay attention to who values what. Some guys will want a Top 10 SP in return for a Phillip Hughes. These guys you can usually get some veteran talent from.

Thats my 2 cents anyway. Dynasties are a lot of fun and a lot of work.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Yup, you guys have hit it right on the head. Young guys are very much overrated in dynasty leagues....and in quite a few cases in just normal keeper leagues as well. If you know prospects at all you should be able to reload each year within the minor league drafts and you can sell them all off for the proven vets again the next year. In some instances you may want to keep ahold of guys but I guarantee you coulda got a whole lot for Alex Gordon a couple years ago.....now how do you feel just sitting on potential when you could have gotten proven out of him. The main thing is know the players and don't overrate your own guys, especially young ones.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm

J35J wrote:Yup, you guys have hit it right on the head. Young guys are very much overrated in dynasty leagues....and in quite a few cases in just normal keeper leagues as well. If you know prospects at all you should be able to reload each year within the minor league drafts and you can sell them all off for the proven vets again the next year. In some instances you may want to keep ahold of guys but I guarantee you coulda got a whole lot for Alex Gordon a couple years ago.....now how do you feel just sitting on potential when you could have gotten proven out of him. The main thing is know the players and don't overrate your own guys, especially young ones.

this is what i was going to say as well. most dynasty leagues very rarely last longer than 3 years or so, so "building for the future" doesnt really apply.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:46 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
J35J wrote:Yup, you guys have hit it right on the head. Young guys are very much overrated in dynasty leagues....and in quite a few cases in just normal keeper leagues as well. If you know prospects at all you should be able to reload each year within the minor league drafts and you can sell them all off for the proven vets again the next year. In some instances you may want to keep ahold of guys but I guarantee you coulda got a whole lot for Alex Gordon a couple years ago.....now how do you feel just sitting on potential when you could have gotten proven out of him. The main thing is know the players and don't overrate your own guys, especially young ones.

this is what i was going to say as well. most dynasty leagues very rarely last longer than 3 years or so, so "building for the future" doesnt really apply.

this one's going 20+ with mostly OGs, so building for the future will have some relevance

great stuff so far guys. thanks.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ayebatter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Do you have a separate minor league draft as most Dynasty leagues do ? I call the minor draft my 'trading pool', I use 'em like candy to entice the teams that love 'future stars' and will pay for them with current production. Prospects and draft picks in trades are only worth what the next guy will buy them for, make sure you get the best current MLB production in the deal - play to win each year & your Dynasty will take care of itself as long as you know which minor players are the Hot ticket for the next season.

Good luck ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1435)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:36 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

this one's going 20+ with mostly OGs, so building for the future will have some relevance

great stuff so far guys. thanks.

yikes. well still, go for the wins now, there are always prospects to have in the future. many people will like alex gordon over aramis ramirez simply because hes younger, but aramis gives you a better chance to win.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm

ayebatter wrote:Do you have a separate minor league draft as most Dynasty leagues do ? I call the minor draft my 'trading pool', I use 'em like candy to entice the teams that love 'future stars' and will pay for them with current production. Prospects and draft picks in trades are only worth what the next guy will buy them for, make sure you get the best current MLB production in the deal - play to win each year & your Dynasty will take care of itself as long as you know which minor players are the Hot ticket for the next season.

Good luck ;-D

one draft for all players, majors and minors
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ayebatter » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 am

RugbyD wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Do you have a separate minor league draft as most Dynasty leagues do ? I call the minor draft my 'trading pool', I use 'em like candy to entice the teams that love 'future stars' and will pay for them with current production. Prospects and draft picks in trades are only worth what the next guy will buy them for, make sure you get the best current MLB production in the deal - play to win each year & your Dynasty will take care of itself as long as you know which minor players are the Hot ticket for the next season.

Good luck ;-D

one draft for all players, majors and minors

Then if you are going to pick a 'prospect' make sure he hits the lineup or rotation this yr, the youngster with a spot, that gets hot, can bring back alot.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1435)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers