Brian Bannister--going forward - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Bannister--going forward

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian Bannister--going forward

Postby sublime8414 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 pm

"Brian Bannister may not have the same sort of success in his sophomore season. Bannister posted a 3.87 ERA in 165 innings of work despite striking out just 4.2 hitters per nine. His walk rate was not particularly low at 2.4, and he allowed 0.8 homers per nine. His success stemmed from his .266 BABIP, which helped Bannister keep opponents down to .249/.303/.409. If you adjust his BABIP for his liner rate of 19 percent, you get a huge jump to .312; adjusting the opponent line for that puts him at .295/.349/.455, which is the equivalent of turning every hitter into the 2007 version of Miguel Tejada or Jack Wilson. His QERA reflects these issues at 5.18, the fourth-largest bump among starters with at least 125 innings." -- Baseball prospectus

Do you guys think he will be someone who continues to pitch above his peripherals?

I remember watching him as a mets fan and thinking that he was a wonderful escape artist. He always seemed to make the big pitches with RISP. He has a great baseball mind. That much is for sure.

What do you guys see from him going forward?
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brian Bannister--going forward

Postby Ender » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:11 pm

I would avoid himself. While I wouldn't bet on him reverting to a .319 BABIP low K guys are low value in standard formats in general. He's not on a good team so W's might not come either. His BB's aren't terribly low so his WHIP could easily spike. There just isn't a lot of value in there.
Last edited by Ender on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sublime8414 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Ender wrote:I would avoid himself. While I wouldn't bet on him reverting to a .319 BABIP low K guys are low value in standard formats in general. He's not on a good team so W's might not come either. His BB's are terribly low so his WHIP could easily spike. There just isn't a lot of value in there.

I agree that fantasy-wise he doesn't have much value. But do you think he can put up 3 starter type numbers going forward?
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:52 am

Minor League Pitching Stats

W-26 L-17 IP-417 H-382 ER-151 HR-19 BB-115 K-365 ERA-3.26 WHIP-1.19

It seems as though he has pitched well thoughout his time in the minors...K's are much higher. :-o
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jsmith378 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:28 pm

I think Bannister will always be a little better than his K and BB numbers indicate. He keeps the ball down and he gets a fair share of groundballs. He's a very cerebral guy and he can get a strikeout when he is in a pinch. I dont expect him to post an ERA under 4 in 2008, but I expect him to have another solid year with an ERA under 4.50, which makes him a valuable starter to an AL team. As far as fantasy value, he has none, the Royals dont score enough to runs to make a starter with an ERA over 4 worth anything
jsmith378
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kev921 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:40 pm

Definately not a draft day kind of a guy. Low risk, but also low reward. I'd put him on a list to look at mid-season and hope that the Royals will score more runs in 2008.
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers