Moneyball Bummer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moneyball Bummer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Moneyball Bummer

Postby kellythemick » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:14 am

horatio wrote:So you don't read much except for the bible and you don't want to read much because you think that authors have a nasty habit of just leaving sections out of their own book to mess with you huh?

That's interesting. Why do I hear the chants of "Four more years" ringing in the background?

:-o
If it's obvious it's probably true.
kellythemick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Althalius » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:56 am

I'd like to have the last minute of my life back.

But seriously, Moneyball is a great book, and every devoted baseball fan should read it.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:12 am

It's not missing pages, you're just reading it wrong, "Moneyball" is a choose your own adventure. ;-7
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:04 pm

At the time of your printing, Billy Beane felt that pages 158-184 were being overvalued in the market place. He found he could purchase pages 324-360 for a much lower price and get nearly the same production out of them. It happens a lot with that book.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigjimblue » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:19 pm

[quote="noseeum"]At the time of your printing, Billy Beane felt that pages 158-184 were being overvalued in the market place. He found he could purchase pages 324-360 for a much lower price and get nearly the same production out of them. It happens a lot with that book.[/quote]

Very good! I was given the cheaper version that only had 300 pages for my birthday.
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:22 pm

If you can find out where the book was purchased, bring it back there, no receipt will be necessary. If you can't find that out, you can most likely bring it to any store that sells it and have it replaced. Failing that, contact the publisher and they will most likely send you a replacement. I don't know if this is a particular problem that is common with Moneyball, but I used to manage the shipping and receiving department of a bookstore, and this is not an uncommon occurance at all in the publishing industry.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigjimblue » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:22 pm

[quote="Art Vandelay"]If you can find out where the book was purchased, bring it back there, no receipt will be necessary. If you can't find that out, you can most likely bring it to any store that sells it and have it replaced. Failing that, contact the publisher and they will most likely send you a replacement. I don't know if this is a particular problem that is common with Moneyball, but I used to manage the shipping and receiving department of a bookstore, and this is not an uncommon occurance at all in the publishing industry.[/quote]

I am supposed to get a replacement tomorrow from Amazon.com.
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby perlick29 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:01 pm

bigjimblue wrote:I am a baseball fanatic! I am NOT an avid reader, except for the Bible. For my birthday I received a copy of the book "Moneyball". I was enjoying SO MUCH until about two-thirds through it, about 35 pages are missing. Since each chapter builds to the next one, I am SO disgusted! Now I know why I am not an avid reader. This is enough to make one quit. Has anyone else had this unfortunate experience with "Moneyball"? Thanks.

The bible huh? I'm a fellow believer as well. I must have read every Baseball Prospectus since 2003.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Field » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:11 pm

If all else fails, go to your local public library and sign it out. I just checked my local library catalog and they had one on the shelves.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 pm

perlick29 wrote:
bigjimblue wrote:I am a baseball fanatic! I am NOT an avid reader, except for the Bible. For my birthday I received a copy of the book "Moneyball". I was enjoying SO MUCH until about two-thirds through it, about 35 pages are missing. Since each chapter builds to the next one, I am SO disgusted! Now I know why I am not an avid reader. This is enough to make one quit. Has anyone else had this unfortunate experience with "Moneyball"? Thanks.

The bible huh? I'm a fellow believer as well. I must have read every Baseball Prospectus since 2003.

;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers