Royals add Guillen 3 yr/36 mill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Royals add Guillen 3 yr/36 mill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Royals add Guillen 3 yr/36 mill

Postby RyanK » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:47 am

I dont think its a bad signing for the Royals aslong as Guillen doesnt show up on the mitchell report.

At least it gives them a player who can hit more than 20 HR..
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Royals add Guillen 3 yr/36 mill

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am

I've always thought he had huge potential but he's a basket case and yes will probably show up on the mitchell report.

However, its the royals so you can't blame them
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:15 pm

eehhh, I don't mind having Guillen at all....since he is a solid player....but I didn't really want him for $12mil a year! What can ya do though. I'm good with it overall.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:16 pm

Yeah I actually like this deal also.

Watch out the Royals might actually be turning it around somewhat. Nice young talent. The Meche signing last year turned out well for them also (except for wins, but not really his fault).
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 pm

If Guillen stays healthy, then this is a solid signing. The man can hit.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kev921 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:43 pm

J35J wrote:eehhh, I don't mind having Guillen at all....since he is a solid player....but I didn't really want him for $12mil a year! What can ya do though. I'm good with it overall.

Isn't that a normal reaction for us Royals fans? We are screwed because the market this year for BIG bats are really thin.

Isn't that close to what Mike Sweaney was making last year?
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sublime8414 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:47 pm

Was reading an article at baseball prospectus and they were saying that based on revenues there should be something like $540 million spent on free agents. And that was fairly conservative.

Given that, and comparing it to things like the signing of gary matthews jr. and that KC doens't have that immediate contender look. I think this is a stellar signing.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horatio » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:55 pm

ack - I was really hoping the A's would make a play for him, big contract though, I guess Kansas City MO is a larger market than Oakland and the East Bay.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 pm

horatio wrote:ack - I was really hoping the A's would make a play for him, big contract though, I guess Kansas City MO is a larger market than Oakland and the East Bay.

The Royals dropped a ton of payroll this offseason with losing Sweeney, Sanders, Perez, LaRue, and a few other completely non-productive players. The plan is to expand the payroll to around $70 million over the next few years. They have $25+ million just for free agents this season, which would still leave plenty to lock-up any of the young players who are able to prove themselves this season (Greinke, Soria, Bannister, etc).

The Guillen contract is decent, most teams have already said they aren't too concerned with the Mitchell report and it won't affect their free agent decisions. The MLB has had the Florida HGH list for awhile now and it doesn't look like they are taking any action against the players named on the list. If he is healthy this is a good addition to the Royals simply because it moves Brown to the bench or another team. I would have much rather seen the Royals throw the Guillen money plus some towards Rowand, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still make a run at him as well.

If people find this contract overboard I can't wait to hear what they say when the Royals sign Kuroda. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Tavish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 pm

kev921 wrote:
J35J wrote:eehhh, I don't mind having Guillen at all....since he is a solid player....but I didn't really want him for $12mil a year! What can ya do though. I'm good with it overall.

Isn't that a normal reaction for us Royals fans? We are screwed because the market this year for BIG bats are really thin.

Isn't that close to what Mike Sweaney was making last year?

It's more than what Sweeney was making last year ($11 million). But if they can get 75% of a season out of the money instead of 15% then it major trade-up. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers