Better first round pick.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better first round pick....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:09 pm

I'll take the guy who was 7 points better in AVG, hit 8 less homeruns, had 4 less RBI's and 9 less runs if he's playing second. I think you definitely have to look at the position if the numbers are close. Wright is well ahead in SB's but he didn't blow Utely away. Plus, Utley missed a month...if he didn't he probably would have had at least his 15 or 16 swipes if not more. I don't see how Wright is that far ahead of him and when you factor in the positions I see Utley ahead of Wright by a decent margin.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 pm

jfg wrote:I'll take the guy who was 7 points better in AVG, hit 8 less homeruns, had 4 less RBI's and 9 less runs if he's playing second. I think you definitely have to look at the position if the numbers are close. Wright is well ahead in SB's but he didn't blow Utely away. Plus, Utley missed a month...if he didn't he probably would have had at least his 15 or 16 swipes if not more. I don't see how Wright is that far ahead of him and when you factor in the positions I see Utley ahead of Wright by a decent margin.

SBs last three seasons:
Utley 9, 15, 16
Wright 34, 20, 17

Utley as at the age where players tend to steal less. I'll take the 15-20 extra SBs over Utley's position.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Are you suggesting that Wright is going to keep going up? I think he stays put around 30. But, I did look more into how Utley's injury affected his SB's and it really didn't. He probably would have had 1-2 more because his steals after he came back stayed on course with the rest of the season.

If we're playing roto I might agree with you on Wright. In H2H I'm taking Utley. But, even in roto it's a really close call for me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 pm

jfg wrote:Are you suggesting that Wright is going to keep going up? I think he stays put around 30. But, I did look more into how Utley's injury affected his SB's and it really didn't. He probably would have had 1-2 more because his steals after he came back stayed on course with the rest of the season.

If we're playing roto I might agree with you on Wright. In H2H I'm taking Utley. But, even in roto it's a really close call for me.

With Utley you are looking at about 15 SBs. With Wright, you are looking at 25+. Wright's best season is better than Utley's and he is much younger. Pretty easy decision for me at least.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sgnilloccaz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:03 pm

pokerplaya wrote:This is a tough call. I have all 3 in my keeper league. Oh, and Pujols too. :-D

I'd probably go Wright/Reyes/Utley, but then again, I could see myself going Wright, Utley, Reyes as well....not sure...

Well aren't you a lucky duck.
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:33 pm

I would go Wright/Utley definitely, maybe even back to back. I don't think Reyes is worth going at 5 even.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LukeW9027 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 pm

Wright in a close one because of his age and increasing totals of stolen bases and like Yoda touched on when guys get to be 28-29 they tend to steal less. Reyes is a great fantasy guy but I like to have great all around production with my first pick so i can take category guys later on.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ender » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:55 pm

It is too close to call and would depend on the league I'm in. In the past I would have said Utley because 2B was so thin but it has really grown a lot stronger in the past few years. I think personally I'd go with Wright because I think he still could grow better than what we've seen and I think Reyes will only grow in OBP and Utley is probably at his peak.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:51 am

With respect to the disagreement with Yoda, yes, Wright has better numbers. Of course he does. We disagree on the importance of position scarcity, and that's all there is to it when it comes to Utley/Wright. B-)
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:04 am

Tough question : you have the best player - Wright / the most dominant player at a position - Utley / & the player that best dominates a stat. - Reyes. Choose your poison, as long as its Wright or Utley.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers