Better first round pick.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better first round pick....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better first round pick....

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:58 am

These threads kicked up some solid discussions last year..... Who would you take in the first round between...

David Wright
Chase Utley
Jose Reyes

....reasons why?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 390)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby Yoda » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:31 am

I'd go with Wright, Utley then Reyes.

Wright is getting better and he already has a 30-30 season under his belt. Utley over Reyes simply because I value power over speed in early rounds.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby J35J » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:34 am

Yoda wrote:I'd go with Wright, Utley then Reyes.

Wright is getting better and he already has a 30-30 season under his belt. Utley over Reyes simply because I value power over speed in early rounds.


Agreed!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 390)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby mak1277 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:35 am

I definitely want Wright first out of those 3.

After that, I'd probably take Reyes just a tick above Utley. There's something to be said for a guy that can practically win a category for you without killing you in any of the others. I really like Utley also, but I think the 2nd tier of 2B's has much better perceived value going into this year, compared to last year, so I'd probably be more tempted to roll the dice, pass on Utley and grab someone else later.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4569
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:01 pm

This is a tough call. I have all 3 in my keeper league. Oh, and Pujols too. :-D

I'd probably go Wright/Reyes/Utley, but then again, I could see myself going Wright, Utley, Reyes as well....not sure...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 pm

As many know, I am all for picking Utley first among these three -- I actually pick him third overall. I have a few reasons. First and most obviously, he's the top at his position...which is actually a pretty useless argument because of course he is -- he's a first round pick. But there is something to say for plugging his numbers in at 2B. I don't buy many arguments about others approaching him this season.

The other reason is a more practical one that I've come to find through a series of mock drafts. Picking Utley first guarantees a solid 2B that no one else approaches, and leaves you to value pick your other positions in the next four rounds or so. In one draft I just picked Utley first, then used my next two on Carlos Lee and Carl Crawford (sweet! ... 12 teamer). It is entirely reasonable to expect that I could swing around and grab Aramis or Atkins (though maybe not, and if I was that worried about 3B I could have spent it instead of Crawford here). Value picks on Berkman or Hafner can take care of 1B very nicely, and I have been able to grab Jeter in the 4th round quite regularly. In drafts where I haven't picked Utley first, I really dislike the prospect of spending too early on Phillips or Cano, and dislike filling the roster spot with a Polanco or someone of that sort. In this year's draft particularly, value grabs are easy to come by, especially since the young hype players are pushing solid vet picks to attractive places. Bobby Abreu and the 5th round is a regular grab! In short, put yourself far ahead at 2B first and get steals at your other spots. (oh, and for pitching, go grab Halladay and Oswalt really late).

Many will disagree with this position, which is of course fine. I think Utley is a fantastic early first round pick.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:30 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:As many know, I am all for picking Utley first among these three -- I actually pick him third overall. I have a few reasons. First and most obviously, he's the top at his position...which is actually a pretty useless argument because of course he is -- he's a first round pick. But there is something to say for plugging his numbers in at 2B. I don't buy many arguments about others approaching him this season.

The other reason is a more practical one that I've come to find through a series of mock drafts. Picking Utley first guarantees a solid 2B that no one else approaches, and leaves you to value pick your other positions in the next four rounds or so. In one draft I just picked Utley first, then used my next two on Carlos Lee and Carl Crawford (sweet! ... 12 teamer). It is entirely reasonable to expect that I could swing around and grab Aramis or Atkins (though maybe not, and if I was that worried about 3B I could have spent it instead of Crawford here). Value picks on Berkman or Hafner can take care of 1B very nicely, and I have been able to grab Jeter in the 4th round quite regularly. In drafts where I haven't picked Utley first, I really dislike the prospect of spending too early on Phillips or Cano, and dislike filling the roster spot with a Polanco or someone of that sort. In this year's draft particularly, value grabs are easy to come by, especially since the young hype players are pushing solid vet picks to attractive places. Bobby Abreu and the 5th round is a regular grab! In short, put yourself far ahead at 2B first and get steals at your other spots. (oh, and for pitching, go grab Halladay and Oswalt really late).

Many will disagree with this position, which is of course fine. I think Utley is a fantastic early first round pick.


Position is overrated in the early rounds. I'll take the guy who is 4 years younger and his best season which also happens to be the last season is better than the older guy has ever done.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:53 pm

Out of those three I think I'd go Utley. I'm not going to chase speed in the first round. Although, Utley is a little less valuable when Upton and Phillips are looking to close the gap even more this year. But, Wright doesn't interest me too much when Cabrera, Braun and ARam are still on the table and Reyes definitely doesn't interest me. If I were choosing between all three I'd be looking to trade down.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:01 pm

Yoda wrote:Position is overrated in the early rounds. I'll take the guy who is 4 years younger and his best season which also happens to be the last season is better than the older guy has ever done.


Generally I agree, but there is an element of degree involved. I wouldn't take just anyone too early because they provide better than average numbers at a scarce position, but this is Utley we're talking about. If you can get: .332AVG 22HR 103RBI 104R 9SB in the same season in which you broke your hand, and you can provide those numbers at the ultra-scarce 2B position, then you've qualified as a very early 1st round pick in my books. To that end, I also defer to jfg's arguments pertaining to Reyes and Wright above (except that I add Atkins to his good 3B list).
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6184
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The offseason.

Re: Better first round pick....

Postby Yoda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
Yoda wrote:Position is overrated in the early rounds. I'll take the guy who is 4 years younger and his best season which also happens to be the last season is better than the older guy has ever done.


Generally I agree, but there is an element of degree involved. I wouldn't take just anyone too early because they provide better than average numbers at a scarce position, but this is Utley we're talking about. If you can get: .332AVG 22HR 103RBI 104R 9SB in the same season in which you broke your hand, and you can provide those numbers at the ultra-scarce 2B position, then you've qualified as a very early 1st round pick in my books. To that end, I also defer to jfg's arguments pertaining to Reyes and Wright above (except that I add Atkins to his good 3B list).


.300, 30-30 at age 23 is pretty awesome no matter what your position is. Utley is a great hitter but Wright is better.

List:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30-30_club
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact