Thank You, George - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thank You, George

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Blue » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:19 am

WOW GEORGE STEPPED UP AGAIN. WOW
A COUPLE OF THINGS
1 THEIR SHOULD BE A CAP & REVENUE SHARING BUT ONLY IF THEY ALSO HAVE A FLOOR.
2 THESE OWNERS BUY THEIR TEAMS AS INVESTMENTS FOR THE MOST PART AND THEIR VALUES HAVE SKYROCKETED OVER THE YEARS, PRIME EXAMPLE LOOK AT DODGERS AND MONEY MADE BY FOX TO BASICALLY RUN TEAM INTO THE GROUND.
3 MOST OF THE OWNERS ARE CRYING POOR WHILE CASHING HUGE CHECKS NOT REINVESTING A DIME AND WILL MAKE MAKE HUGE ROI DOLLARS. WHEN DO DECIDE TO SELL
4 I HOPE THE YANKEES LOSE
5 CAN AROD EVEN PLAY 3RD?
6 THE ONLY PURE BASEBALL STARTS IN LITTLE LEAGUE AND STOPS AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL. GO MUD DOGS-CAL STATE LONG BEACH 49ERS UNOFFICIAL NICKNAME
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kashikis » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:39 am

Let me say I am not a Yankee fan but I don't think they deserve as much bashing as all of you are handing out to them. Hate them because their a rival not because they spend more money. If your team had the money and the initiative they could do it to. Every other team has the oppurtunity to make their team into the yankees over the course of time. The fact that George got it right while other owners didn't isn't his fault. There are two main reasons that the Yank's are the way they are...

1. George re-invests more money than any owner (mentioned before)
2. And the most important is they have the most dedicated fans, period. (even though it kills me to admit it)

They have sold out their stadium it seems like every game for 40 years (obviously exaggerated), and the stadium to capacitate the demand (which is 80 years old). Not to mention the amount of people who watch the games and buy the merchandise to support the team. Hell they sold out the stadium in the late 80's when they sucked just to yell at the players. Thats the main reason the have the money to buy the players and make the moves. If the fans wouldn't come to the games then they'd sink like any other team.

Now onto my personal feelings... Screw them I'm a Mets fan. (see rival bashing is OK)
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:03 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Man, all the Chicken Little's are running around terrified that the sky is falling because of the Yankees' $200M payroll, despite 0 World Series wins in the last 3 years. The Yankees won 12 World Series in 18 years from 1936 to 1953 and baseball survived. It made the Dodgers 1955 World Series win over the hated Yankees that much sweeter.

Still, they were in WS in 01 and 03. Since 98, 6 years, NY has been the AL team 5 times. It's a little boring here in the AL.

It was NY and LA dominance that prompted the amatuer draft in 65.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby monster » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:06 am

GoldenGlove31 wrote:Anyone who isn't a Yankee fan, hates the Yankees...Get it through your little Yankee Heads. You don't understand it is ruining baseball.

it's not george who's ruining anything by being willing to pay whatever is necesary to get who he feels will make his team a winner...it's Scott Boras, the agent who demands (and gets) the outragious salaries that only george is willing to pay...
I didn't really say everything I said.
-Yogi Berra
monster
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: i'm in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here...

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:13 am

kashikis wrote: And the most important is they have the most dedicated fans, period. (even though it kills me to admit it)

They have sold out their stadium it seems like every game for 40 years (obviously exaggerated), and the stadium to capacitate the demand (which is 80 years old). Hell they sold out the stadium in the late 80's when they sucked just to yell at the players. Thats the main reason the have the money to buy the players and make the moves. If the fans wouldn't come to the games then they'd sink like any other team.

Not really. NY never drew 3 mil till 1999. LA hit 3 mil long ago. Toronto and Colorado have had 4 mil. NY drew very poorly during the 80's.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... tend.shtml
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:03 am

i'm not going into a full page about why all of you are wrong for blaming george and the yankees. i'll leave it to you in just 1 phrase:

Don't hate the player (Yankees)....hate the game (MLB)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swingaway » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:35 am

thisis a god deal for the rangers but it screws baseball up lol. The rangers get a 2nd baseman thats All-star clabiur for the best ever. In the long haul this trade helps the rangers. Now they got like 50 mill to spend on pitching now. Anyone doesnt this trade create another hole in the roataion. Remeber aaron boone is probabl going no where now and when he comes back he will probably play 2nd. Lets see what next the yankees sign wood next year or even maddux this year.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:53 pm

I don't think this move guarantees the Yankees the AL East crown. Boston is still looking pretty tough. The comparisons:

C-Posada is better than Varitek (NYY-1, BOS-0)
1B-Giambi is better than Millar but is showing signs of aging (NYY-2, BOS-0)
2B-Bellhorn/Reese is better than whatever the Yankees throw out there as of right now. (NYY-2, BOS-1)
SS-Garciaparra is better than Jeter (NYY-2, BOS-2)
3B-A-Rod is better than Mueller (NYY-3, BOS-2)
LF-Manny Ramirez is better than Matsui (NYY-3, BOS-3)
CF-Damon vs. Lofton is close, but I'd give the edge to Damon (BOS-4, NYY-3)
RF-Sheffield is better than Nixon (NYY-4, BOS-4)
DH-Ortiz is better than the aging carcass of Bernie Williams (BOS-5, NYY-4)

SP-Pedro is better than Mussina (BOS-6, NYY-4)
SP-Schilling vs. Vazquez is a draw
SP-Brown is better than Lowe (BOS-6, NYY-5)
SP-Wakefield vs. Contreras is a pick 'em since we don't know what Contreras can do in a full season.
SP-Kim is better than Lieber, coming back from a serious arm injury. (BOS-7, NYY-5)

RP-Foulke vs. Rivera is even when you consider their ages and innings pitched totals--Foulke pitches more innings.
RP-Williamson vs. Gordon is close but Williamson has youth on his side
RP-Timlin vs. Quantrill is a pick 'em. Quantrill doesn't have Dodger Stadium to rely on.

This isn't an exact science, of course, but Boston is still right there with the Yankees as far as I can tell. Also, the Yankees are a much-older team and have more players who are significant injury risks (Giambi, Brown, Lieber, Williams)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby phatjagz14 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:58 pm

2 things wrong with your rankings. Kim hasn't proved himself as a starter, yet he gets the edge to 20 game winner Lieber. Other pitchers have come back from this type of injury before. Also, you said Nomar is better than Jeter, which is wrong.
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Warthog » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:05 pm

Dear Yankee Fan:

You take $40,000 and buy a house and I'll take $200,000 and buy a house, we'll see who's bitching then! Take your weak response of "we spend money to make money" smack out of my face. I live in Cleveland and we will never, EVER sniff the types of revenue New York can generate, and we sold out the Jake for 6 straight years, went to the series twice, and almost went broke with a $95 million payroll. I wonder what we might have done with an extra $105 million each of our good seasonsin the mid/late 90's? Well, maybe we'd start with a rotation of Schilling, Unit, Pedro, and Clemens (that would be around $70 million I guess) and maybe blow the rest on a catcher like, oh, Mike Piazza. I'd probably have around $20 million left so my guess is I'd go out and get ARod.

Yeah, that's fair!
Wahka-Wahka-Wahka
Warthog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers