Thank You, George - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thank You, George

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TrappedInBristol » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:53 pm

GoldenGlove31 wrote:Anyone who isn't a Yankee fan, hates the Yankees...Get it through your little Yankee Heads. You don't understand it is ruining baseball.

Ok. I admit it. I’m a Yankee fan. My team is responsible for everything that’s wrong with baseball. I got it. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea …

We interrupt the litany of the apologist for a reality check.

If the rules aren't fair, CHANGE THEM! Salary cap? You bet. Increased luxury tax? Sure. Enhanced revenue sharing? Okee dokee. But spare me the litany of the victim. In every society, every industry, every aspect of life, there are those with the brains and dedication to work with what they have to achieve success, and those who declare themselves victims and constantly look to others to “level the playing field” for them. You know what “levels the field” best? Hard work. Brains. A plan. A clue! You think high payroll is the answer? Please. Check out the Mets. 2nd in payroll in 2003. Where did they wind up in the standings? How bout them Dodgers? Third in payroll. Where did THEY Finish? Or the WORLD CHAMPION Marlins (20th in payroll). Some teams are well managed. Others aren’t. Some teams reinvest their revenue sharing dollars to improve their team, others don't (that you, Mr. Selig?). Some cities will support an MLB team. Others won’t. And no rules change(s) will alter any of that.

We now return to the litany of the apologist

…culpa, mea maxima culpa. Let me know where and when to report for the flogging.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SoxFanPJ » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:26 pm

Steinbrenner = The Devil

Granted he is willing to spend money, but he has the largest cash cow in all of sports.

How are teams suppose to compete when the Yankees can gobble up the best players and fix all of their mistakes or injuries.

The Sox ownership is stuck with debt payments on the 700 mil they had to spend to buy the team. Even if they weren't they can't match the Yankees in spending. I feel sorry for the other teams who can't even sniff 100 million in revenue.

Those middle class teams that are too good to get the top draft picks will be stuck in a permanent middle class, as poor teams like the Devil rays will be able to load up on high draft picks and eventually be good, while the Yankees can simply buy whoever they want once they reach free agency.

The Yankees revenue stream puts them in a monopolistic position with relation to the major leagues talent pool.

:-[
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SoxFanPJ » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:29 pm

You cant change the rules regarding baseball because like Steinbrenner, Orza and the Players Union are more concerned with milking everylast cent for their own benefit then to do what is best for the GAME!!!!!

A pox on the Yankees, a pox on the Players association.
SoxFanPJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TrappedInBristol » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:50 pm

SoxFanPJ wrote:You cant change the rules regarding baseball because like Steinbrenner, Orza and the Players Union are more concerned with milking everylast cent for their own benefit then to do what is best for the GAME!!!!!

A pox on the Yankees, a pox on the Players association.

So Steinbrenner and the Players Union are the only ones who don't want to change the rules? Wrong again. Try readin' up on some of this instead of spouting bitter, ill-informed rhetoric. Steinbrenner did vote FOR a salary cap. A salary cap that had the proviso that every team MUST spend a minimum percentage of their budget on player salary. It was voted down. Not by the Yankees. By the small market teams who would have had to stop stuffing the revenue sharing back into their pockets instead of investing in their teams.

Speak the truth. Please. If you don't know what the truth is, look it up before you spout off.

And by the way, the Red Sox lost the 2003 ALCS because the mighty Pedro gave up the homer of the year to that STIFF, Aaron Boone. That had nothing to do with salary. The Red Sox lost the ALCS. Their pitcher (their manager?) wasn't good enough when it counted. The Yanks lost the World Series. They were beaten by a younger, hungrier team. If you can't stand losing, pick another sport. Otherwise, root for you damn team, and stop whining.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby justinA » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:51 pm

TrappedInBristol wrote:
GoldenGlove31 wrote:Anyone who isn't a Yankee fan, hates the Yankees...Get it through your little Yankee Heads. You don't understand it is ruining baseball.

Ok. I admit it. I’m a Yankee fan. My team is responsible for everything that’s wrong with baseball. I got it. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea …

We interrupt the litany of the apologist for a reality check.

If the rules aren't fair, CHANGE THEM! Salary cap? You bet. Increased luxury tax? Sure. Enhanced revenue sharing? Okee dokee. But spare me the litany of the victim. In every society, every industry, every aspect of life, there are those with the brains and dedication to work with what they have to achieve success, and those who declare themselves victims and constantly look to others to “level the playing field” for them. You know what “levels the field” best? Hard work. Brains. A plan. A clue! You think high payroll is the answer? Please. Check out the Mets. 2nd in payroll in 2003. Where did they wind up in the standings? How bout them Dodgers? Third in payroll. Where did THEY Finish? Or the WORLD CHAMPION Marlins (20th in payroll). Some teams are well managed. Others aren’t. Some teams reinvest their revenue sharing dollars to improve their team, others don't (that you, Mr. Selig?). Some cities will support an MLB team. Others won’t. And no rules change(s) will alter any of that.

We now return to the litany of the apologist

…culpa, mea maxima culpa. Let me know where and when to report for the flogging.

well said. The average fan somehow believes that all other owners ARENT rich and dont HAVE the money to spend. My ass they dont. Every single owner of a MLB franchise has enough funds to spend to make themselves a better franchise and that is not limited to just the salaries of players. Like u said, the high salaried teams like the mets and dodgers didnt get anywhere becuz they didnt invest wisely. The only reason people are whining about $200 million is because its such a margin from the others, but the others have the resources to get there, but some owners just arent willing and thats a shame. Steinbrenner is just playing by the rules while everyone else is trying to get the rules bent in their favor.

PS: im not a yankees fan, I am a Orioles fan and an avid hater of the yankees, they are the team I love to hate.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eli81k » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:36 am

Two wrongs don't make a right. Regardless of deadbeat owners that won't spend a lot, King George and his unfair competative advantage (and if you don't think a $50+ million dollar difference in local broadcasting rights as it pertains to team payroll is an unfair advatange, "then Tommy will come back and hit you in the head with a tack-hammer, because you are a retard") still isn't good for baseball.

You give the Twins just $20 million in local broadcasting revenue (not even near half what the Yankees pull in) even with Carl Pohlad running the team to break even, we'd resign all the players we developed and maybe add a little help here and there. That is not too much to ask.

MLB does not sell the Yankees. The Yankees don't sell the Yankees. The Yankees sell competition. MLB sells competition.

"Because he can" isn't a justification any person of merit would accept as satisfactory. If someone makes it leagal to push the elderly down stairs if it saves you time, I'm still not going to say that it is alright if other people start doing it. Sure, they get where they're going faster than other people, but the overall good isn't really served.

Have any of you even read Fair Ball?
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:58 am

Mookie4ever wrote:The Yankees are buying A-rod.

A-rod is superior to Soriano (in real baseball) in many ways. They can make this trade because the Yanks are picking up a large portion of his contract.

You don't see the Rangers taking Beltran or Halladay for A-rod - that's because the Royals and Jays can't afford to buy him like the Yankees can.

Yeah, if you don't think the Yanks bought A-Rod, you're very naive. I'm pretty sure A-Rod could play much better 2B than Soriano. Hell, it's pretty much the same thing, except it's a shorter distance to throw. A-Rod is also a better hitter than Soriano. Better BA, more HR, more RBI, more R, better OBA, better SLG, you name it, A-Rod is better. And please don't say Soriano steals bases so he's better. A-Rod has a higher SB success rate. SB's are nice in fantasy but not so much in real life.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:06 am

the yankees traded the best offensive seond baseman in the game!!! for god sakes what more do you want? they did Texas a favor. im willing the bet the Rangers are jumping up and down that the union rejected the restructuring of A-Rod's deal. now they got a less expensive player with at least equal(probably better) talent and a far better attitude than they would have gotten in the deal with the sox.

if the sox had done this same deal their fans would be lineing up to kiss theo's butt and throwing around jabs at the yankees screaming "this is our year". as it is, Red Sox nation is demoralized again, so they have no choice but to :,-( and blame Big Stein, when he isnt even the problem
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:49 am

ELI81K had a good take.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:10 am

Man, all the Chicken Little's are running around terrified that the sky is falling because of the Yankees' $200M payroll, despite 0 World Series wins in the last 3 years. The Yankees won 12 World Series in 18 years from 1936 to 1953 and baseball survived. It made the Dodgers 1955 World Series win over the hated Yankees that much sweeter.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers