Thank You, George - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thank You, George

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby t2green2 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:51 pm

Ok I have to step in here. I am a Yankee Fan and yes we Have the deepest poackets and the Tigers and Pirates ere no better than AAAA baseball teams and it would be difficult for them to compete. However until baseball as a whole PLAYERS AND OWNERS do something George will continue to do this.

Or

Stop going to games in mass and maybe they'll listen. But that will never happen.

By the way i am a Yankee fan and would love to see a return of the 50's when players were held hostege by their teams until they were washed up.

Just my 2 cents
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:57 pm

George is a business man. he treats his team like a product on the market. He continuously makes his product better. He makes a ton of money so he reinvests it back into his product.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eli81k » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:04 pm

Ron Badger wrote:I'm not a huge Yankees fan, but I like the fact that they use the no salary cap in Baseball to their advantage. Every M.L.B. team is owned and run by multi-millionaires, but some would rather not spend their money so freely, because they don't have a winning attitude like the Yankees administration does. Boston had the first shot at A-Rod, and they blew it, because they were being to stingy about spending money. Remember you have to be willing to spend money, to make money, and the way to make money in the Majors is to win World Championships.

No revenue sharing of local broadcasting rights or ticket sales. If you think one team deserves not to share theirs, let them play all 81 home games against their AAA club.

People act like baseball is striaght capitialist business. It is not.

If you own a coffee shop, and there are other coffee shops in your market, if you can drive those coffee shops out of business, it turns out great for you. But baseball is not straight business in the fact that you want as many of your opponents to be as competative as possible, because the product baseball sells is that competition.

I could go on and on with other scenarios as well (ever heard of Jiffy Lube sending an assistant manager to Mr. Goodwrench for a mechanic and cashier to be named later?).

If A-Rod goes to the Yankees, NY will now have 6 of the largest contracts in baseball history on their roster.

Ever heard of the term "level playing field". It comes from sports. It applies to sports. Ask yourself this... why is baseball the only major sport without a salary cap and revenue sharing? They must have some value if the NFL, NBA, and NHL have all adopted tem. The Twins make $4 from local broadcasting rights. And you rag on them for not spending $150 million? Where is your business sense?

The NFL has surpassed MLB in viewership because almost every team starts the season with the hope of winning it all. It may not be likely, but it is possible.

I hear people say things like the Twins and Marlins prove that you can win wihout all that money. True. But ask any Twins fan if we like being a college baseball team (our best players graduate after playing here for four years). The Twins weren't looking to add any big free agents this offseason, we just wanted to resign the talent we developed, and couldn't afford to do that. Not surprising, when the Yankees can get something like $50 million for local broadcasting rights and the Twins pull down $4.

And both of those teams had to suffer through years of crap while their yound players developed in the pros because we didn't have anyone better. Meanwhile, the Yankees just reload like no one else can.

I agree that dead beat owners should have to spend money as well, which is why a great way to convince the now out-of-touch players union to agree to a salary cap would be a salary floor as well.
Last edited by eli81k on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:05 pm

Making money is one thing. Buying what used to be a pure sport is another. Just when everyone thought it couldn't get any worse, the Yankees actually buy the most expensive player in baseball just so the can convert him to another position that they are weak at. What's next? Buying Albert Pujols and converting him to a catcher? Doesn't anyone see the demonic irony in this?

If nothing else points to the fact that the Expos need to be shipped to the New York area, this is it. There is way too much money in that market, even for two teams.

God, I'm frustrated!
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Trot Nixon » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:19 pm

very well said eli ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:22 pm

drunkenmonkey wrote:Making money is one thing. Buying what used to be a pure sport is another. Just when everyone thought it couldn't get any worse, the Yankees actually buy the most expensive player in baseball just so the can convert him to another position that they are weak at. What's next? Buying Albert Pujols and converting him to a catcher? Doesn't anyone see the demonic irony in this?

If nothing else points to the fact that the Expos need to be shipped to the New York area, this is it. There is way too much money in that market, even for two teams.

God, I'm frustrated!

I am a die-hard Yankee fan but believe me I know how pissed you all are lol.

The Yankees are not really buying A-Rod. It is one thing if they sign him as a free agent when they already have Jeter. However they are giving up the best offensive 2nd baseman in BASEBALL for him (which I'm not happy about because Sori was my favorite player.) The Yankees are not paying the bank to Texas and turning A-Rod into a third baseman against his will. He is so desperate to leave Texas that he is willing to do that, which is why New York jumped in the bidding. Alot of you hate George but he is the image of the perfect owner. He takes the money he makes and invests it right back in his team. If EVEN OVER 50% of teams did this....we wouldn't be talking about this as ruining baseball. The problem is they don't do it.

And now I quote from Stewart Scott....

Don't hate the player.....Hate the game
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:29 pm

The Yankees' effort to buy the title has been no more evident than in the last two seasons. Seasons in which they LOST. Here's to another season of watching the priceless look on Steinbrenner's face when they come up short again!
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:31 pm

I don't hate the player -- I hate the owner. Big difference.

Oh, and by the way, I've never been a big Yankee hater. Behind George Brett, Don Mattingly was my favorite player when I was a kid. However, this is just too much.

Screw the union, salary cap the league at the next contract negotiation as far as I'm concerned. It'll never happen, but one can dream.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:35 pm

The Yankees are buying A-rod.

A-rod is superior to Soriano (in real baseball) in many ways. They can make this trade because the Yanks are picking up a large portion of his contract.

You don't see the Rangers taking Beltran or Halladay for A-rod - that's because the Royals and Jays can't afford to buy him like the Yankees can.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby tlef316 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:36 pm

drunkenmonkey wrote:
Screw the union, salary cap the league at the next contract negotiation as far as I'm concerned. It'll never happen, but one can dream.

and there it is!!! the truth to all this madness. IT IS THE OWNERS AND THE UNIONS' FAULT!!!

the yanks play by the rules, its the guys who make the rules that mess it up. the other owners could band together and get a salary cap if they wanted to, but they would rather rake in the luxury tax money from the yanks. is it unfair, YES. could it be changed YES.
Are the other owners going to grow a set of balls and do it. probably not.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers