Is Hank Steinbrenner a huge moron? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Hank Steinbrenner a huge moron?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Hank Steinbrenner a huge moron?

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm starting to get a feeling that Steinbrenner, Hank is a total idiot. He seems to open his mouth and say completely moronic things.

Anyone else getting the feeling that the Yanks aren't going to be heading in the correct direction under this guy?

Whats his history by the way.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Hank Steinbrenner a huge moron?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Um, George was the same way and he had a little success, I think.

Don't judge him by what he says. Judge him by what he's done. From what I can see, he's gotten the Yankees a team that will compete in 2008, but won't necessarily be hampered by too many bad contracts in the future. You might say Posada got one year too long and A-Rod shouldn't have gotten 10 years, but overall, the Yankees are making moves that will help them. They aren't signing the Jaret Wright's and Kei Igawa's of the world which have helped bury them in the past.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:14 pm

I think he's just inexperienced and is not yet able to judiciously handle the limelight. If he just cost the Yanks a draft pick or something with him running his mouth about Santana, I expect he'll zip his lip a bit more.

It took him almost a week to include Hughes in the deal, so that at least shows he listens to Cashman.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:32 pm

In fairness to Hank, Arte Moreno was popping off the other day about the M-Cab trade negotiations and he wasn't taken to task.I don't think he's a moron;He seems like a person who wears his heart on his sleeve and speaks his mind always..even when a little discretion(ie-Santana negotiations) would serve him better.I think inexperience plays in it a bit but as was stated previously George S was the same way and things have gone more than OK under his reign.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Whats his history by the way.

He is George's son. :-D
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LiveForever » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm starting to get the feelings Brain Cashman has about as much say in all of this as me.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Althalius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm

I think you misunderstand the situation, specifically what the best case scenario is for the Yankees.

Best case, the Twins keep Santana for the '08 season, and the Yanks sign him after that. The Yankees don't lose any prospects, and instead lose as you say, a draft pick. Better than losing Hughes, Melky, and two other minor leaguers.

Right now, the Twins are forced to decide whether or not they want to trade Santana. If they Yanks pull out (which they now have an excuse to do), and they don't think the Red Sox deal is sweet enough (since it isn't without Lester), the Twins might just take Santana off the market. Who knows, they might just get anxious that they'll lose the best offer yet and pull the trigger.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gang Green » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Hankenstein won the genetic lottery. He should be feeding Buttercup and Seabiscuit in the Steinbrenner horse stables like he was previously instead of running the Yanks. Remember, Old Georgie picked his then son-in-law Steve Swindal to run the Yanks over his two sons. Now I see why. From saying his Dad picked up Hall of Famer Joe Torre off the scrap heap in '96 to saying he would never negotiate with A-Rod if he opted out of his contract, the man has looked every bit the buffoon. Now potentially walking away from the best pitcher in the game because Hank demands Santana is Yankee property when Hank says so. Cashman must be having an ulcer and the NY beat writers have never had so much fun.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:00 am

Hank's not gonna build a whole lot of goodwill among his peers by bad-mouthing other GM's. He acts like Billy Smith owes him a favor or something...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:01 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Hank's not gonna build a whole lot of goodwill among his peers by bad-mouthing other GM's. He acts like Billy Smith owes him a favor or something...

I don't see where you get that. I haven't heard him bad mouth anyone.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Return to Baseball Leftovers