Carlos Quentin traded to White Sox for Chris Carter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Quentin traded to White Sox for Chris Carter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carlos Quentin traded to White Sox?

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:00 pm

I think it is a good trade for both teams. DBacks didn't have anywhere for Quentin to play after extending Byrnes. His value was just going to get worse as the DBacks held onto him. See Hairston, Scott for the example of that. To get a guy who could be the power bat we lack down the road or who we could turn in a possible trade with Oakland or Baltimore for him I think is a good thing. Hey at least I don't have to watch him blow up for tha Padres and almost lead them to the brink of a playoff spot.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:18 pm

ukjohn wrote:Carter is a 20 year old player in Low A ball...doesn't matter what the DBacks have right now

Well thats true. but Quentin has nice numbers and wasn't he a highly touted prospect of the organization?

Even if he is a 20 year old they have Conor Jackson cloggin his path too
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:29 pm

kab21 wrote:
Yoda wrote:This trade leads me to believe that Quentin's long term health might be in serious doubt. He will be productive on the field but the question is, will his injuries limit his playing time significantly?

I'm trying to remember exactly what Quentin's injury was. Wasn't it a torn labrum on his non-throwing shoulder? Was there another injury? Doesn't seem like this would significantly affect an OF'er long-term. I think this is a great trade by the Chisox.

I believe his injury was very similar to the one that's destroyed Scott Rolen.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:35 pm

acsguitar wrote:
ukjohn wrote:Carter is a 20 year old player in Low A ball...doesn't matter what the DBacks have right now

Well thats true. but Quentin has nice numbers and wasn't he a highly touted prospect of the organization?

Even if he is a 20 year old they have Conor Jackson cloggin his path too

It's my understanding that the organization has soured on Jackson and that they don't view him as the solution at 1B anymore. I think they don't believe he will develop the power necessary to play the position. I doubt if he ever gets more than 2/3 of the ABs for 1B. He got 415 ABs last year and I expect it to be about the same next year. It's going to be some combination of Reynolds, Tracy, and Jackson, thereby devaluing everyone. Perhaps even Jackson will be on the outside looking in.

Too bad. I own Jackson in a league. It was a pain trying to figure out when he would play.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Yoda wrote:This trade leads me to believe that Quentin's long term health might be in serious doubt. He will be productive on the field but the question is, will his injuries limit his playing time significantly?

I'm trying to remember exactly what Quentin's injury was. Wasn't it a torn labrum on his non-throwing shoulder? Was there another injury? Doesn't seem like this would significantly affect an OF'er long-term. I think this is a great trade by the Chisox.

I believe his injury was very similar to the one that's destroyed Scott Rolen.

I don't think it was the same injury as Rolen, but power may be a concern.

Rotoworld on 10/12/07 wrote:Carlos Quentin underwent surgery to repair the rotator cuff and labrum in his non-throwing shoulder this week.

Rotoworld on 3/20/07 wrote:Carlos Quentin has a small tear in the labrum of his non-throwing shoulder and will be prevented from swinging the bat for the next 10 days.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers