http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3171
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pettitte Returns for 2008!!

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
noseeum wrote:How are you guys calculating his ERA? By my view, he's pitched 2005 2/3 regular season innings for the Yankees. He's given up 882 earned runs. I get a 3.96.

Lmao, you're right.

For some reason I was doing ER/IP. That's not ERA. His ERA as a Yankee is under 4. :-° :-b :-o

Um, Madison? Let's hear a Mea culpa, por favor. ;-) And now you can say Pettite's clearly worth $20 mill. LOL.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Actually, even I screwed up. Excel was of course using .1 as 1/10th instead of 1/3rd. He pitched 2008 innings, not 2005 2/3. Drops it way down to 3.95.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:39 pm

noseeum wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
noseeum wrote:How are you guys calculating his ERA? By my view, he's pitched 2005 2/3 regular season innings for the Yankees. He's given up 882 earned runs. I get a 3.96.

Lmao, you're right.

For some reason I was doing ER/IP. That's not ERA. His ERA as a Yankee is under 4. :-° :-b :-o

Um, Madison? Let's hear a Mea culpa, por favor. ;-) And now you can say Pettite's clearly worth $20 mill. LOL.

If you want/need something from me, PM works best ;-) . I only know about this due to a PM from someone else, as I was all done with this thread (out of time actually, but neither here nor there).

Anyway, no clue where I did the math wrong, but evidentally I did. My mistake. ;-D

And no, he's still not worth $16 million for one year, but old George has built an empire that can afford to overpay here and there. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:12 pm

Madison wrote:If you want/need something from me, PM works best ;-) . I only know about this due to a PM from someone else, as I was all done with this thread (out of time actually, but neither here nor there).

Anyway, no clue where I did the math wrong, but evidentally I did. My mistake. ;-D

And no, he's still not worth $16 million for one year, but old George has built an empire that can afford to overpay here and there. ;-D

Eh, I wasn't really looking for anything. Just publicly humiliating you for the fun of it. }:-) kidding of course.

Yeah, he's not worth $16 mill, but if it helps them not trade Hughes, he's worth $20! Step away from the trade desk, Cashman. Step away.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm

Although he only took a one-year deal, Andy Pettitte said he'd like to remain with the Yankees when the new stadium opens in 2009.
Pettitte doesn't see himself pitching just one more year. "I really believe now, especially after playing with the Astros and pitching with my elbow the way it was when I needed the surgery, I realize now I could go out and probably pitch until I'm 45 years old, because I was throwing 82, 83 miles an hour and still being able to compete, maybe because I'm left-handed or whatever," he said. "For me, the thing of me not being able to go out there and get any guys out, I think that's so far down the road, probably, that's never going to play into my decision."
Source: MLB.com

What in the hell?

This guy was retiring last week. Now he's not only back for 2008, but says he can pitch until he's 45? :-b

Depending on how this year pans out, I can see the Yankees bringing him back for next year, especially if Hughes/Chamberlain emerge into a front-of-the-rotation type guy in 2008.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Why am I not excited about Pettite?

Probably due to his career ERA with the Yankees being 4.49 in 2008 innings :-b . I don't see him returning as being all that big of a deal either. Granted, I'd take him on my Rangers since out pitching always stinks and he'd be an improvement, but he's not some big super stud or anything that I'd get all giddy about, but that's me.

I calculated Pettitte's career Yankee ERA at 3.96. His career ERA is 3.83. I can't see approximiately 20% of his career IP (in Houston) dropping his ERA by 0.66 (4.49-3.83). It doesn't make sense mathematically.

Damn. After all of my calculating (not that much really), I see this. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Just thinking out loud here and this is assuming that Santana doesn't come to NY. Probably the biggest hole on the team other than questions in the starting rotation is the bullpen. More specifically, an 8th inning guy. When Girardi was hired, he mentioned that Farnsworth can be straightened out. I am not so sure. There have to be contingency plans in case of injury but what about a rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Kennedy, and Mussina with Chamberlain as the 8th inning guy?? I know that Hank made his statement about Chamberlain starting but it is apparent that he will go back on his word and we really haven't heard anything about this lately. Since Clemens was basically a nonfactor last season, I don't see how this rotation is any worse than what they had last season and it has the potential to definitely be better. In the least, I see this as better balance in the rotation and bullpen. Am I crazy??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:53 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Just thinking out loud here and this is assuming that Santana doesn't come to NY. Probably the biggest hole on the team other than questions in the starting rotation is the bullpen. More specifically, an 8th inning guy. When Girardi was hired, he mentioned that Farnsworth can be straightened out. I am not so sure. There have to be contingency plans in case of injury but what about a rotation of Wang, Pettitte, Hughes, Kennedy, and Mussina with Chamberlain as the 8th inning guy?? I know that Hank made his statement about Chamberlain starting but it is apparent that he will go back on his word and we really haven't heard anything about this lately. Since Clemens was basically a nonfactor last season, I don't see how this rotation is any worse than what they had last season and it has the potential to definitely be better. In the least, I see this as better balance in the rotation and bullpen. Am I crazy??

I think that with the 6 starters that maybe Hughes and Chamberlain and maybe Mussina will rotate through stints in long relief to limit innings. I don't think that Hughes or Chamberlain will go much over 150 IP regular season.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby in10s » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Speaking of the bullpen, what do you think of the deal that seems to be pending physicals sending Clippard to the Nationals for Jonathan Albaladejo?

I like it for the Yankees, Albaladejo is "old" for a rookie, and those who follow prospects frown when someone takes six years in the minors before breaking into the bigs. But sometimes players to mature later and he could be solid. Granted at age 25 with a total of 14.3 big league innings pitched he doesn't have a high ceiling and won't be spectacular. But given the market for the pen, solid would be fine addition.

And for fantasy, I'll probably target Clippard as a buck or two flyer in my NL only league. Not sure if the new Nationals stadium is going to be a hitters park or pitchers park, but I think Clippard could be a nice back of the fantasy rotation pitcher, especially in an NL only league where you have to dive a bit deeper.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers