Pettitte Returns for 2008!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pettitte Returns for 2008!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pettitte Returns for 2008!!

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 pm

cjd92280 wrote:Unless Santana ends up in the Bronx, it won't matter. They still can't win in the playoffs without a true 'Ace' in the rotation, and wang and petitte aren't true 'Aces'. Santana in Boston is the worst thing for New York since giving Clemens 28 mil to suck.

They've won World Series recently without a true ace. Check the 1996 roster: Pettite, Cone (definitely past his ace years at this point), Key, and Rogers were their playoff pitchers. You don't need an ace, you need solid starters that can give you at least 6 innings, and a top notch bullpen. Having an ace is nice, but it's been done quite often without one.

And who knows, Hughes might be one by October. Not saying it's likely, but who knows?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm

Guys, this is just me speculating, but I wonder if someone reached out to Andy and assured him that this Johan deal is basically done.He seemed pretty sure to retire but with Johan on the Yanks,Andy may feel that this may bring the Yanks closer to the World Series so he decides to come back for one more run at the WS.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:07 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:Guys, this is just me speculating, but I wonder if someone reached out to Andy and assured him that this Johan deal is basically done.He seemed pretty sure to retire but with Johan on the Yanks,Andy may feel that this may bring the Yanks closer to the World Series so he decides to come back for one more run at the WS.

I always figured Johan would help bring him back, but I don't see why he didn't just wait until Johan was there for sure.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:Why am I not excited about Pettite?

Probably due to his career ERA with the Yankees being 4.49 in 2008 innings :-b . I don't see him returning as being all that big of a deal either. Granted, I'd take him on my Rangers since out pitching always stinks and he'd be an improvement, but he's not some big super stud or anything that I'd get all giddy about, but that's me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:27 pm

Madison wrote:

Probably due to his career ERA with the Yankees being 4.49 in 2008 innings :-b . I don't see him returning as being all that big of a deal either. Granted, I'd take him on my Rangers since out pitching always stinks and he'd be an improvement, but he's not some big super stud or anything that I'd get all giddy about, but that's me.

And he's terrible in the first half ( at least it seems that way). I can just imagine the ESPN stories on Petitte being washed up for the first half.

Anyways I would have rather not given him the ton of money that he's getting and gone after someone else in a trade or saved the money or something.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby noseeum » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

And he's terrible in the first half ( at least it seems that way). I can just imagine the ESPN stories on Petitte being washed up for the first half.

Anyways I would have rather not given him the ton of money that he's getting and gone after someone else in a trade or saved the money or something.

One year deal. Just remember, one year deals for decent pitchers are gold these days.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:32 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

:-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

He's got a 1-year contract. Even if he sucks, there's no long-term commitment. Where are you going to find another pitcher on Pettitte's level for 2008? I don't understand that at all.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Where are you going to find another pitcher on Pettitte's level for 2008? I don't understand that at all.

Depends on your definition of "Pettitte's level", which is of course, all depends on the person looking at him.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Madison wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Where are you going to find another pitcher on Pettitte's level for 2008? I don't understand that at all.

Depends on your definition of "Pettitte's level", which is of course, all depends on the person looking at him.

An experienced lefty who will likely post an ERA around 4.00 and win 15-17 games if healthy. He also brings New York and postseason experience to the table.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:45 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Madison wrote:

An experienced lefty who will likely post an ERA around 4.00 and win 15-17 games if healthy. He also brings New York and postseason experience to the table.

Change the ERA to 4.20-4.40 or so, toss win totals in the trash as anyone wins games with the Yankee's offense, and all you've got left is an average pitcher with postseason experience. While the experience is beneficial and him being a lefty is nice, I still don't see this signing as that big of a deal.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers