Fans should strike! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fans should strike!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fans should strike!

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:20 pm

This is getting ridiculous. While the two evil empires fight over who gets the best pitcher in baseball, I wonder how Bud Selig can sleep at night. I don't know why Bud Selig would let two teams spend almost $200,000,000 and another team in the same division spend $40 mil. This is not fair. It is not a level playing field. Why should teams like the such as the A's and Indians have to spend all their time and money scouting and devolving players, just to send them away to the Bankees and Red Sox?? It's not fair, and something needs to be done about it. There should be a $100 mil salary cap. This would actually have to make Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein work for once!!!! Oh no! They couldn't just shell out over 100 million for Kevin Brown and Dice-K. What a shame.

I hate having 25+ teams being farm system for a few teams that just go out there and buy the best players from the other 25+ teams as soon as they reach their prime. I am an Indians fan. We should have every right to keep C.C. instead of having to trade him or let him walk. But this time next year, he will end up in Yankee pinstripes, if he isn't traded in the offseason this year! How many times did the A's get screwed, losing Giambi, Tejada, Mulder, Hudson, Zito and others? And they still win just as many, or almost as many games as the $200,000,000 Yankees every year. This tells you who the REAL franchises are. There is absolutely no talent whatsoever involved in what Brian Cashman does. It's almost like he is playing fantasy baseball. Giambi, Moose, Clemens, Damon, Matsui, Brown, ect. every year he just signs the best players out there. Can you imagine a GM like Billy Beane or Mark Shapiro giving Jaret Wright $40 million? Kevin Brown $110 million? Giambi $120 mil? Carl Pavano $70 mil? Can you even begin to imagine? They would be fired almost immediately, and probably never given a job again. But Brian Cashman can hand out these contracts, and be a genius? Why is this? Anybody??

I think fans should seriously consider striking, until this issue is resolved. You know what pisses me off the most? If Bud Selig did his job and did something about this, we would be the 2007 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL CHAMPIONS. The Red Sox would not be able to throw $116 mil at Dice-K, $70 million on Nancy Drew, ect ect. They would of actually had to win using guys they devolped themselves, or players they sign through free agency that they couldn't just throw an unlimited amount of money on. Players they would be forced to take a flier on, like Dellucci, Nixon, Hernandez and Fultz. Instead, once again, a small market team, or Cleveland Indians, gets screwed over by this B.S. The Red Sox right now are the modern day Yankees of the 90s. Something needs to be done, or we will never win a championship! The American League East will keep buying them!
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fans should strike!

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 pm

I say no strike :-t

AL East won't win this year anyway.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Just in case you forgot, the Yankees haven't won a damn thing since they started spending like madmen.

I'm not saying they don't hold a big advantage over other teams...they do. But $$ doesn't = championships. At least not when you spend it as poorly as the Yankees have. Money can buy you a good regular season and a probable playoff birth, but the playoffs are a crapshoot. Also, I don't see a lot of evidence that a salary cap would necessarily help baseball.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:45 pm

I agree that this system is very flawed but the reason there will never be a salary cap in MLB is because the players union won't allow this.Also, teams like the Twins,who are owed by one of the wealthiest men in America, is receiving revenue sharing money from big market teams and pocketing it.

Again, the system is flawed,no argument here.But to make teams like the Yankees and Red Sox out to be the devil is not right either.It wasn't them that paid A-Rod $252M when there was no offer even close or shelled out $18M on Torii Hunter and on and on.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:50 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Just in case you forgot, the Yankees haven't won a damn thing since they started spending like madmen.

I'm not saying they don't hold a big advantage over other teams...they do. But $$ doesn't = championships. At least not when you spend it as poorly as the Yankees have. Money can buy you a good regular season and a probable playoff birth, but the playoffs are a crapshoot. Also, I don't see a lot of evidence that a salary cap would necessarily help baseball.

To me what separates the Yankees from most teams is that they can have a bad contract or two on their roster and it'll be business as usual.If a smaller market team had a contract like Pavano on their books it could affect their budget.Again, lets not exempt the Carl Pohlads of the world who shake their city down for a new stadium get it and don't put out a competitive product on the field.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:53 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Just in case you forgot, the Yankees haven't won a damn thing since they started spending like madmen.

To me what separates the Yankees from most teams is that they can have a bad contract or two on their roster and it'll be business as usual.If a smaller market team had a contract like Pavano on their books it could affect their budget.Again, lets not exempt the Carl Pohlads of the world who shake their city down for a new stadium get it and don't put out a competitive product on the field.

Oh, absolutely. The Yankees do hold a large advantage over other teams with their ability to spend. However, I've seen a lot of people make strong cases as to why a salary cap won't benefit baseball, even if the PA were to allow it (many of the people that made these arguments are fans of either small-market teams or teams that don't spend any money -- there is a difference.)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby apz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:02 pm

Maybe not, but they're always one of the teams to beat and they always make the playoffs. In a big market like NYC, as long as they keep making the playoffs, they'll continue to make enough money to maintain their high spending ways.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:24 pm

apz wrote:

Maybe not, but they're always one of the teams to beat and they always make the playoffs. In a big market like NYC, as long as they keep making the playoffs, they'll continue to make enough money to maintain their high spending ways.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:33 pm

There is no doubt that leveling the playing field helps make the sport competitive, but a payroll cap or payroll tax is not the best way to do that. A payroll cap or tax mainly results in teams with greater revenues simply using arcane contracts to maintain their talent advantage, or using it to spend more on player development, thus sustaining the advantage through that means.

The way to even out the playing field is not by capping player salaries, but by evening out team revenues. The two main ways to do that are to minimize the difference between market revenues (for example, putting 3 or 4 teams in big markets) or by weighting the use of alternative league income towards the smaller market teams. In this way, you minimize the market advantage of the other teams, but do not have the negative effects of the payroll taxes or caps. If you couple that with a payroll floor, so that greedy owners do not just pocket revenues, then you are much closer to a solution.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RyanK » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm

this topic is interesting...

Players salaries as everyone is noticing is getting slightly out of hand. Its hard to exactly be able to say how it started, you can blame the Red Sox/Yankees/Boras/Free Agency... but really alot of it is the market of a team and ticket prices. For teams to pay their players, they need to make money.

In my opinion, the problem for baseball is the lack of parity in ticket pricing and stadiums.

I found ticket prices the from 2006 season to look at.

what stuck out the most to me is how cheap it is for a lot of teams, under 20 bucks for 13 clubs, I know the Sox have such a high ticket price due to stadium size and demand, but that so many teams ticket prices so cheap was rather surprising. So i was curious as to who had the biggest/smallest stadium seating wise, this is a pretty interesting site (93000 seating stadium, anyone here ever see a game there?- this actually just lead me to look into it more, pretty interesting didnt know about the LA Coliseum, theres gonna be a BoSox/Dodgers game before opening day March 29 next season, probably going to have the most attendence in history.)

i have to go, but ill get back to this post at some point, hopefully.. basically i think that a stike wont help, theres too much of a difference in population and other uncontrolable factors, unless you have a retraction to make the the talent pool better and get rid of the poor market teams, but i dont see that happening...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers