Jacoby Ellsbury is not that good - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

Jacoby Ellsbury is not that good

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jacoby Ellsbury is not that good

Postby theclefe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:15 am

Being in Boston, I am so tired of listening to people glorify Jacoby like he is the second-coming of Rickey Henderson. It is one thing to like a player. It is another to treat him like he walks on water. I know it is rather new occurrence for Boston to have a set of prospects who may develop into major league players, but not all prospects become Jonathan Papelbon, and I don't think the city and the fans know that. Rather than responding to every half-baked nitwit who thinks Jacoby is the Lebron James of baseball, I'll just vent to folks who actually appreciate the game. While you may not agree with me, at least you'll have an intelligent rebuke.

Here is a series of comments about Jacoby, mostly centered around the Santana Trade

Jacoby is a guy you need to hang on to. He is Ichiro-like in ability. - paraphrasing Larry Johnson, host on WEEI

Ichiro-like, except for the superb defense, above-average arm, record-breaking seasons and incredible contact rate. Nothing like comparing a 2-tool player to one of the best all-around players in baseball.

It could also be true that the Twins would rather have Lester and Ellsbury. They'd get both a projected, front of the line starter and a dynamic leadoff hitter. Ellsbury's abilities are the type that you build organizations around, [Melky] Cabrera's... not so much. - Red Sox LJ message board

Exactly how many teams have built an organization around a light hitting leadoff guy? Now, how many American League teams? Assuming the answer is zero, why would the Red Sox. If a team is dumb enough to make this kid their cornerstone then lets trade him to them and get back real, power hitting cornerstones(especially if they are in our division).

I'm against any deal that involves Ellsbury. The short-term gain isn't worth it. Dealing Ellsbury would be equivalent to trading Fred Lynn or Jeff Bagwell again. - Another blog commenter

Or Hanley Ramirez... oh yeah. That deal netted us one of the best pitchers in baseball and a World Series MVP. Lets not bring that up because we like Lowell's oddly graying beard just as much as we like Ellsbury's Hall of Fame caliber charisma.

I wouldn't have a problem with dealing a pitching prospect, even one as dominating as Buchholz because the return would immediately fill that hole and then some. But Ellsbury can not be replaced. No one the Red Sox acquire would be likely to get on base as much as him, steal as many bases once he gets on, and be as clutch with runners in scoring position.

Apparently everyone in Boston is clutch, regardless of how many at bats they didn't have. Coco Crisp looked pretty clutch making that game ending catch against Cleveland, and was a pretty good base stealer too during the season (28 SB, 6 CS). He is a better defender, has equal arm strength, and has proven he can be mediocre at the Major League level. I can't argue that Coco will get on base more, but I know for damn sure that Jacoby can't pitch 200+ quality innings, so if I have to choose between an overrated speedster or one of baseball's top pitching prospects, I think I'll go with Clay.

I'll have more and things irk me. Don't get me wrong. I like Ellsbury. I think he'll be a good ball player. He just won't be the player people are fantasizing about.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury is not that good

Postby soxfan364 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:19 pm

So I'm guessing you say pull the trigger and send him off to Minnesota to get Santana?
You're probably right, I like Jacoby too but I don't see him as the 2nd coming of Ichiro. Santana is a Pedro-caliber pitcher, and those don't come around very often.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby theclefe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:08 pm

soxfan364 wrote:So I'm guessing you say pull the trigger and send him off to Minnesota to get Santana?
You're probably right, I like Jacoby too but I don't see him as the 2nd coming of Ichiro. Santana is a Pedro-caliber pitcher, and those don't come around very often.

If the deal works in our favor, then of course. Deep down I wish the Twins would pony up some cash and keep their greatest pitcher, but since that is unlikely, lets have him here.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AmishRakeFight2005 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:50 am

Phew...I thought this thread may be an attempt at fishing and I'd have to bite.

I'm inclined to agree with both of you. Johan Santana's don't grow on trees and if you have a chance to add a young, top notched pitcher to your already dominate staff, you do it. Theo is no idiot but I feel he is milking this because he knows 1) nobody has the prospects needed to get Santana other than him and 2) there is the matter of 160+million dollars of contract they need to discuss after getting the deal in place.

Jacoby is going to be a special player. I see him as a Grady Sizemore type with gap power developing into home run production down the road. His metrics are good and he projects to be at the top of the order at little to no cost. Remember, Youkilis is coming due soon and won't be taking a "hometown discount".

With all that said, will someone in Boston pick up the phone and get this deal done? ;-D
Amish Rake Fight 2005, 2007 Northern Lights Baseball Champs
AmishRakeFight2005
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Field » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Clefe, I completely agree. Jacoby is going to be a nice player, but it's really getting ridiculous how much love the guy gets.

It's not like he offers anything dramatically different than Coco or any other speedy outfielder.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Boston Red Sox