As mentioned before now is the best market to be trying to trade expendable starting pitching. It makes sense for the As to get players that will help them in the next year or two for Haren when his value is highest, and the FA class of pitchers next off season has some pretty decent names (garland, pedro, glavine, smoltz, lowe, benson, sabathia, basically a few top starters but a bunch of solid middle rotation guys that should deflate the market). The A's will also still have a good rotation even with out Haren and Blanton if they deal both...Potential A's Starters
- (potential)Sleeper of the Year
Start it off with Meyer just because he was aquired at the same time as Haren and I pegged him as a sleeper a few years ago then he kinda fell off the map, but i found out why.
- first round pick out of James Madison #34 overall in 2002, went from college to the bigs in two years with Atlanta, making 6 stops along the way, with an era under 3 in each stop besides college.
- has a low 90s fastball and mid 80 change but has been lacking a dominate breaking ball to keep hitters off balance
- spends 05 and 06 in AAA and has his two worst years, has shoulder surgery and is told he might not be able to pitch again
- This Story
talks about Meyers should surgery and story
- Had a rough going when he got called up this fall, but put up strong numbers in AAA after returning from surgery. Going 8-2 with a 3.26 era and 105 K in 115 inningsRich Harden
Harden is the ace to replace Haren in the Oakland rotation... if healthy all year (which leads me to ask... he should be "good to go" for ST, right?)Chad Gaudin
Gaudin is another young arm (24) that the As have to work with, last year was his first full season as a starter and he threw 200 innings.. Though he had a 2.91 era april through june and a 6.01 era from july to september, so it will be intersting to see how he does over a second full season.Lenny DiNardo
DiNardo didnt do poorly in his starting experience last season, only big knack is that he is soft throwing, he makes a solid long relif/spot start
They also have a few guys other young guys who could get a few rotation shots through out the year as well:
Jason Windsor, Dallas Braden, Brad Knox, Mike Madsen...
if all else fails.. a Haren Blanton Harden Gaudin Meyer rotation could be pretty dominate