minor league help please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

minor league help please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

minor league help please

Postby triple3play » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:02 am

hey guys, i have two picks comming up in a ten round minor league draft. Ive decided not to draft out of neccessity but more about potential. im really high on Heyward with one of my picks, need help with my other pick or if you think im too high on heyward. players available that i would be interested in LaPorta, Mills, Vitters, Mous, Marrero, or maybe pitchers as Davis, Parker, or Detwiler....who do you think i should take with the two picks? or anyother suggestions (ps the rest of the big dawgs are already off the board for the most part) thanks
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: minor league help please

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:20 am

Moustakas
Vitters
Mills
Marrero
Heyward
Parker
Davis
Detweiler
LaPorta

In that order.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:21 am

I would be inclined to rank Moustakas at the top of those listed followed by Vitters and Marrero. Then Heyward, Davis, Parker, LaPorta, Mills, Detwiler.

A lot of it depends on how much you want to wait. I think Moustakas is the best prospect of all these guys but you will have to wait a while. With someone like LaPorta, Mills, Marrero and Davis, you'll have contribution earlier and therefore, less intrinsic risk than someone like Heyward who has a lot of development yet.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby triple3play » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 am

thanks for some of your imput guys. i have a pretty decent team for a couple years so im not neccessarily looking for the most MLB ready players. i dont really know much about Mills though. what kind of player is he? is he a power guy, average guy, or what? thanks
triple3play
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:57 am

triple3play wrote:i dont really know much about Mills though. what kind of player is he? is he a power guy, average guy, or what? thanks

Beau Mills. 1B Clev.

Left handed power bat. Actually described as plus plus power. Poor defender though.

Low-A (44 G): .271/.333/.435, 5.2 PA/K
High-A (10 G): .275/.375/.500, 6.0 PA/K

Potentially a 30-40 HR guy, with a decent average (270ish). Developed enough to maybe get a cup of coffee in 2009. Might also be blocked by Garko at 1B, or even Victor Martinez if he moves to 1B (I think Garko wont be a free agent until sometime after 2011).

Don't take him over Moustakas though.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:02 pm

Mills is a third baseman. The Indians are trying to keep him at third for the time being. He'll likely end up at first though.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigLeagueFutures » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:08 pm

Does Davis = Wade Davis (TB)?? :-? If so he slots right behind Moustakas on this list, with Vitter and Marrero following those 2.
For Daily News On Prospects Visit -- http://bigleaguefutures.com/
BigLeagueFutures
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:00 am

Koby Schellenger wrote:Mills is a third baseman. The Indians are trying to keep him at third for the time being. He'll likely end up at first though.

I never know what to list prospects as in my spreadsheets. Either the position they are currently at, or the position they are likely to end up as. I generally decided that since I do this mainly for fantasy baseball purposes, it's better to list this as what they will likely become, to see if they are going to be blocked at that position.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Koby Schellenger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:52 am

Steve-o wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:Mills is a third baseman. The Indians are trying to keep him at third for the time being. He'll likely end up at first though.

I never know what to list prospects as in my spreadsheets. Either the position they are currently at, or the position they are likely to end up as. I generally decided that since I do this mainly for fantasy baseball purposes, it's better to list this as what they will likely become, to see if they are going to be blocked at that position.

It's tricky in many cases because every team is going to have a somewhat different approach to players like Mills, LaPorta, Villalona etc. In most cases, I think you can pretty well just look at the offensive stats when it comes to guys like this. Obviously Mills staying at third is better for fantasy ball than him moving to first (or DH) but the difference between a .300 hitter with 30 HR and 100 RBI at third and at first isn't all that big.

Now if it's a case like Moustakas where his range of positions could be anything from short to third to first to the outfield, it's a bigger matter. But again, I think you can just look at the bat and figure that a very good shortstop makes a good third baseman or outfielder.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seattle Squirrels » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Moustakas
Vitters
Mills
Marrero
Heyward
Parker
Davis
Detweiler
LaPorta

In that order.

I agree with the above list, though I really do like Parker and may slot him ahead of Heyward as I view his potential as a bit higher, but the over prospect difference between them is almost negligible.
Seattle Squirrels
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball