Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!!

Postby mweir145 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:00 am

Meh, if the Jays had the money (technically our owner does, he just doesn't use much of it), I would definitely want them to trade for Santana. I wouldn't even be agaisnt trading McGowan to get it done, either.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Althalius » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:27 am

1. The only scenario in which they should trade Kennedy/Hughes/Chamberlain is if they could get, guaranteed, the #1 pitcher in baseball. Santana on the Yanks is virtually guaranteed to win 20 games if he doesn't get hurt. Just look at what Wang or Pettite could do with that offense. Also, he's another AL pitcher, unlike Brown or RJ. He knows the hitters the Yankees are going to face, and he's used to the spotlight. If they trade for Haren or Bedard, they are just getting what Hughes is going to be in 1-2 years. Trading for Haren/Bedard is just trading for trading's sake, it creates more holes than it fills.

2. One of the biggest reasons Santana is a good option is because he's experienced, and he's a veteran. Without Pettite, thats what the Yankees are missing in their rotation. Can't say the same of Haren or Bedard.

3. People make it sound like the Yankees absolutely have to trade, like their rotation is that of the Mets or something. Worst case scenario, you have Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, and Mussina as your staff on opening day. That's not too shabby at all.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 am

jlong1873 wrote:GIVING UP PHIL HUGHES = a big regret in 6 years, maybe a lot less. no matter how you look at it. If im the yanks I make a trade around Melky and Horne for an innings eater like Blanton, then use the money to sign a CF, say Aaron Rowand or A Jones if they like him. Thats a damn better team. IMO OF COURSE. I also would think their retarted if they give up Tabata, Abreus good for one more year then he should he out, perfect situation for tabata to come in. And hes better than Austin Jackson, ppl r dumb for thinking otherwise.

Why would Oakland want Melky?
.347 career minor league OBP whoopeee!
I think it would be a totally different package when you are dealing with Oakland.
No Melky or Austin Jackson. They're not silly.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AllDay » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:01 am

Love the sounds of this deal so far from a Twins standpoint. Always been an advocate of getting the best years out of your elite talent and then trading them away to build for the future. I would love to get Hughes in return. Horne would be a nice bonus.

I think this is a good move for the Yanks if they want to win with A-Rod. Santana is a stud who deserves a shot at winning a championship and to get paid like the best pitcher in baseball. They could certainly use an ace like Santana in a run for the WS.

I really don't have a problem with the Yankees playing like a mega market giant with a fat wallet. Small market teams should be happy they have a trading partner willing to give up talent or picks to acquire a star player the small market team might struggle to sign.

It also gives me a team to root against, and I almost expect if this trade goes thru things aren't going to go so great for Santana in NY, but that's just a gut feeling. They've overpaid for players before and gotten burned. When you buy high it is often tough to for a player to live up to expectations.

Pitchers are as fragile as any athlete. Santana's been relatively healthy, but that's no guarantee to continue. He didn't seem like the same player last year, maybe those innings start to catch up to him this year.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:54 pm

kemper5 wrote:Even if they sign Santana and give up Kennedy,Hughes and Cabrera 8-o 8-o as is most recently reported it will just get them maybe to the 1st round of the playoffs and then again they will bow out to a stronger team as usual.. Georgeo should keep his great young talent and just rebuild. George, you had a good run 10 years ago, just rebuild alreadt. No more Torre, Pettitte, Clemens, you overpay for Posada and Rivera and are fielding a bunch of 36-ish year old twilight stars..Just face reality and throw in the towel!

LMAO. It's about getting to the playoffs. Once you get there, it's a crapshoot. They have obviously been very good at making the playoffs but have fallen short of a title. What team do you root for?? ;-7
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dan Charette » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Good post AllDay and welcome to the Cafe.
I think there's more than one way to look at this potential trade.
This is a good trade as far as 2008. They could make a run for the world series.
But for the future, sure they'll have Santana. But they have so many older players that they will have many spots to fill. Posada, Giambi, Matsui, Damon, Abreau. are all starting to get old. All of them might have 2 or three pretty good years left, but they are on a downward slope as far as their stats.
Posada had a freakish year, and can't be expected to repeat last year's numbers.
Cabrera seems to be improving and he adds young legs to their lineup and defence.
If Hughes develops into an ace then this will make this deal even worse.
I have mixed feelings about this trade. Since they have so much money, they could probably afford to replace the older players when they need to.
Part of this being a good trade is that the Red Sox won't get him. The Sox would be scary with a rotation of Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling and Lester.
I think the Yankees will end up with him, since the Sox don't want to part with Ellsbury.
But if the innings pitched start to get to Santana, this trade could be a disaster. Santana is not too big and he throws hard, so arm problems are a possibility. It's a tough call, and only time will tell.
This is certainly a subject worthy of debate.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Dan Charette wrote:Good post AllDay and welcome to the Cafe.
I think there's more than one way to look at this potential trade.
This is a good trade as far as 2008. They could make a run for the world series.
But for the future, sure they'll have Santana. But they have so many older players that they will have many spots to fill. Posada, Giambi, Matsui, Damon, Abreau. are all starting to get old. All of them might have 2 or three pretty good years left, but they are on a downward slope as far as their stats.
Posada had a freakish year, and can't be expected to repeat last year's numbers.
Cabrera seems to be improving and he adds young legs to their lineup and defence.
If Hughes develops into an ace then this will make this deal even worse.
I have mixed feelings about this trade. Since they have so much money, they could probably afford to replace the older players when they need to.
Part of this being a good trade is that the Red Sox won't get him. The Sox would be scary with a rotation of Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling and Lester.
I think the Yankees will end up with him, since the Sox don't want to part with Ellsbury.
But if the innings pitched start to get to Santana, this trade could be a disaster. Santana is not too big and he throws hard, so arm problems are a possibility. It's a tough call, and only time will tell.
This is certainly a subject worthy of debate.

Well the Yankees are going to get old whether they keep Hughes or not. Hughes isn't going to replace Giambi, Poasda, Matsui, Damon and Abreu. The Yankees are going to have to find replacements for those guys whether Hughes is there or not.

I hardly think Melky is someone to cry about losing. I mean, I like the kid. His attitude is awesome and he seems to have some solid potential, but he's not a big-time player. He's a decent option at this point, not a stud.

If you are against them trading guys like Tabata and Jackson, then I'm with you. I would like them to keep these guys, especially Tabata. Apparently the Yankees have labeled these guys as off-limits.

Could Santana blow out his arm? Certainly. Anyone could. Would that make this deal a major bust? Yes. But what if he doesn't? What if he continues to do what he has been doing and the Yankees win a World Series? Even if Hughes turns out to be great, wouldn't that be worth it? What if Hughes never fills his potential at all? All of this is possible. We don't know what's going to happen. I just think that if you have a chance to obtain the best pitcher in the game at a reasonable price, you have to make that deal.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers