Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!!

Postby kemper5 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Even if they sign Santana and give up Kennedy,Hughes and Cabrera 8-o 8-o as is most recently reported it will just get them maybe to the 1st round of the playoffs and then again they will bow out to a stronger team as usual.. Georgeo should keep his great young talent and just rebuild. George, you had a good run 10 years ago, just rebuild alreadt. No more Torre, Pettitte, Clemens, you overpay for Posada and Rivera and are fielding a bunch of 36-ish year old twilight stars..Just face reality and throw in the towel!
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Yankees are all about Money for Nothing!!

Postby sblinyy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:01 pm

Yankees never throw in the towel!

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 pm

kemper5 wrote:Even if they sign Santana and give up Kennedy,Hughes and Cabrera 8-o 8-o as is most recently reported it will just get them maybe to the 1st round of the playoffs and then again they will bow out to a stronger team as usual.. Georgeo should keep his great young talent and just rebuild. George, you had a good run 10 years ago, just rebuild alreadt. No more Torre, Pettitte, Clemens, you overpay for Posada and Rivera and are fielding a bunch of 36-ish year old twilight stars..Just face reality and throw in the towel!

I don't think it's Kennedy AND Hughes. They replaced Kennedy in the offer with Hughes. It would supposedly be Hughes, Cabrera, and a second tier prospect. I agree. I would prefer the Yanks deal Kennedy and others for Haren or Bedard. I just don't think it's good practice to trade prospects AND sign a free agent contract all in one deal.

The Yanks have an inherent advantage in the dollars they have available to them, but it's deals like this that squander that advantage.

Santana is the best pitcher in baseball by a wide shot, but I just think it's a bad policy to give up so much.

The Yanks regretted letting Pettite go to Houston because they realized it takes something special to handle the bight lights/big city on the mound in NY and Pettite always had that. Hughes has come up prepared to deal with that and has already shown he can. It would be a shame to not give him a chance after all of that development IMO.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jlong1873 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:28 pm

GIVING UP PHIL HUGHES = a big regret in 6 years, maybe a lot less. no matter how you look at it. If im the yanks I make a trade around Melky and Horne for an innings eater like Blanton, then use the money to sign a CF, say Aaron Rowand or A Jones if they like him. Thats a damn better team. IMO OF COURSE. I also would think their retarted if they give up Tabata, Abreus good for one more year then he should he out, perfect situation for tabata to come in. And hes better than Austin Jackson, ppl r dumb for thinking otherwise.
jlong1873
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:47 pm

First of all, nothing suggests that the Yankees are giving up Hughes and Kennedy. Just Hughes.

Secondly, trading Hughes will be a huge regret in 6 years? What's is Hughes going to become in a perfect world? The best pitcher in baseball? Santana is already that. You're trading a guy who you hope will become Johan Santana for the actual Johan Santana. Am I missing something?

Thirdly, I love that people think the Yankees can trade much less for a guy like Dan Haren. Haren is going to cost nearly the same amount in terms of prospects as Santana does. For those of you who think the Yankees can get a guy like Haren and keep all their young arms in the process are a little delusional.

Fourthly, the original poster said that the Yankees will just get to the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round again, even with Santana....thanks for the insight Nostradamus, any chance I get get next week's winning lottery numbers?

And to the guy who said they should not trade for Santana but they SHOULD sign Rowand or Andruw Jones? Come on, man. Talk about wasting money.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby ayebatter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:52 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, nothing suggests that the Yankees are giving up Hughes and Kennedy. Just Hughes.

Secondly, trading Hughes will be a huge regret in 6 years? What's is Hughes going to become in a perfect world? The best pitcher in baseball? Santana is already that. You're trading a guy who you hope will become Johan Santana for the actual Johan Santana. Am I missing something?

Thirdly, I love that people think the Yankees can trade much less for a guy like Dan Haren. Haren is going to cost nearly the same amount in terms of prospects as Santana does. For those of you who think the Yankees can get a guy like Haren and keep all their young arms in the process are a little delusional.

Fourthly, the original poster said that the Yankees will just get to the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round again, even with Santana....thanks for the insight Nostradamus, any chance I get get next week's winning lottery numbers?

And to the guy who said they should not trade for Santana but they SHOULD sign Rowand or Andruw Jones? Come on, man. Talk about wasting money.

I am NOT a NY fan, but I have to agree with you here - this is not a bad move for a team with NY's resources.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:28 pm

Yeah, I mean I'm not happy that the Yankees must lose Hughes at all. I hold him in a higher regard than any other Yankee youngster, including Chamberlain. But the fact of the matter is, Johan Santana is the best pitcher in the game. This isn't Javier Vazquez who had some question marks and inexperience. This isn't even Randy Johnson, who was old and due to start declining. This is a 28-year lefty who has been more consistently dominant than anyone in baseball for the last 4 years.

The Yankees haven't had a pitcher on Santana's level for as long as I can remember. It's not like their trading youngsters for and old, overrated star who won't have any impact on the future of the organization. This guy is 28. You can build this team around a nucleus of young pitching; Santana, Wang, Chamberlain, Kennedy. Should Chamberlain and Kennedy fulfill their potential, that's a dangerous rotation, especially when you take their offense into consideration, which will have a core of A-Rod, Jeter and Cano (maybe Tabata as well) for years to come.

This deal makes sense. To say they are trading "money for nothing" is asinine.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby noseeum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:53 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:First of all, nothing suggests that the Yankees are giving up Hughes and Kennedy. Just Hughes.

I already corrected the Hughes/Kennedy part.

If you're talking about my post for Haren, I clearly said I'd rather they traded Kennedy and others for Haren. Basically the same original deal they offered for Santana. Kennedy/Melky/2nd tier prospect for Haren or Bedard (I prefer Bedard). No one said they can keep all their young prospects and get Haren.

Agreed. Don't sign Rowand. I could live with Jones, but not a major long term deal that it will probably take. Cabrera is already better than Rowand, right now. Just because he doesn't break his nose on a fence doesn't mean he's not better. He's got a cannon, great range in CF, and he's improving offensively.

Santana is a complete and total stud no question. But there will be other complete and total studs available down the pipe. Having CF, 2B, and two or three SP positions locked up cheap for the next four years will be an enormous advantage for the Yanks. If they trade Hughes and Melky for Santana, they move Damon to CF, which is only a temporary solution. So instead of having someone cheap in CF, they have to go out and pay someone. So now instead of paying what, $3 million or something? for Hughes and Cabrera, they're paying over $30 million for Santana and another CF. Actually more because of luxury tax. That's opportunity cost.

If Santana doesn't win over 20 games next year, the trade is a bust. He might do that because he's the best pitcher in baseball. But if he wins 12-14, would it have been worth it? I don't think so. You trade your best talent and then pay full free agent prices on top of that. Just look at what having Giambi has done to them. He gets paid too much to move, he's often hurt, and he can't play first anymore. sure, they have a ton of money, but they still hate wasting $20 million. so they keep trying to figure out how to make Giambi work instead of moving on and getting and working on a top notch 1B. Now a great 1B prospect of theirs is loving life in Tampa Bay.

I'm not saying Santana will stink, but they will pass up other opportunities because of all they will invest in this one. They have way more flexibility with Hughes and Melky's low salaries than they will with yet another over $20 million salary.

If they keep their young guys and get rid of all that extra money they have on their books right now after then end of '08, the rest of the league will be terrified of the Yankees for the next six years. They'll have a bumper crop of young studs continuing through the system, and they'll have a ridiculous pile of cash to supplement them. I'd rather see that.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:56 pm

jlong1873 wrote:GIVING UP PHIL HUGHES = a big regret in 6 years, maybe a lot less. no matter how you look at it. If im the yanks I make a trade around Melky and Horne for an innings eater like Blanton, then use the money to sign a CF, say Aaron Rowand or A Jones if they like him. Thats a damn better team. IMO OF COURSE. I also would think their retarted if they give up Tabata, Abreus good for one more year then he should he out, perfect situation for tabata to come in. And hes better than Austin Jackson, ppl r dumb for thinking otherwise.

The whole Hughes AND Kennedy thing was just a rumor. At least that is what rotoworld is reporting. Trading hughes/melky is DEFINITELY a good trade for the yanks. While I like hughes outlook on the future, I highly doubt he projects much higher than Santana. However, but trading for santana you get the best player in baseball NOW. Melky is certainly a replacable option and shouldn't be greatly missed. You have no idea what hughes is going to do in the future, however you do know that santana is a great pitcher now and should be a great option in their rotation. I dont think the yankees need to ever rebuild. They are just one of those teams that have the resources to avoid any major rebuilding years...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 am

I gotta agree with BB51 here.People are making it seem like we're trading Hughes for Randy Johnson or something like that.To have the most dominant pitcher,in his prime and left handed to boot, for the next 7 seasons(this season plus 6 year extension) is an opportunity you can't let pass.Santana can have a Guidry 1978 type season IMO.Make no mistake;I'm in agony about losing Hughes but to get quality you have to give quality and if Johan brings a couple of championships in the next 7 years doubt there will be much complaning.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers