Cesar Izturis signs for one-year, $2.85 million - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cesar Izturis signs for one-year, $2.85 million

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cesar Izturis signs for one-year, $2.85 million

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 am

link

:-t I'm not sure why Izturis is a better option than Ryan. He seems like an offensive blackhole and has been injured the last two years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cesar Izturis signs for one-year, $2.85 million

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:29 am

At least it's only a 1-year deal.

Yeah, I'm searching hard for a silver lining there. :-C
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby musialsuspect » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Uhh....because signing Izturis makes Adam Kennedy look better by comparison?!?!?
musialsuspect
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Eckstein signs a 1 year, $4.5 million deal with the Jays.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7558686
I never was on the Eckstein loving bandwagon but that is only $1.65 million more than what Izturis got. Izturis keeps looking worse and worse.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Eckstein signs a 1 year, $4.5 million deal with the Jays.
I never was on the Eckstein loving bandwagon but that is only $1.65 million more than what Izturis got. Izturis keeps looking worse and worse.

Yeah, hmm...One year of Izturis or one year of Eck?

Apparently, that's rhetorical to everyone except for our ownership/management. %-6
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 pm

I wouldn't have even minded if they let Eck go and just gave Ryan a shot but I don't understand why they are flushing $2.85 million down the toilet.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't understand why they are flushing $2.85 million down the toilet.

See also: Ponson, Sidney; Wells, Kip; Wilson, Preston;
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby musialsuspect » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:21 pm

And the non-tender of Adam Everett makes the Izturis signing even worse. The Cards could have gotten a similar hitter and MUCH better defense.
musialsuspect
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:25 pm

musialsuspect wrote:And the non-tender of Adam Everett makes the Izturis signing even worse. The Cards could have gotten a similar hitter and MUCH better defense.

I wouldn't have minded Everett. He's no good on offense, but he fields his position very well.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Eckstein signs a 1 year, $4.5 million deal with the Jays.

i think the cards erred big time when they signed izturis. it was a panic move. if they hadnt signed him, he'd probably still be a FA. that said, david eckstein (or more likely his agent) is the reason why the cards picked izturis over eck. i think eck's agent really overplayed his hand. he saw stupid deals for guys like gary matthews jr. and juan pierre and figured he could one of those for david. had david stayed healthy all year he might very well have gotten one. however, eck had his second straight year of being nagged by injuries, and he doesnt have the body type that is going to age well. if he loses even a little zip on his throws he is pretty much finished. he had already lost a bit of his range. anyway, the agent let it be known he wanted a four year deal. the cards called and asked if david would be interested in a one or two year deal. its still relatively early in the FA process so the agent decides to play hardball and did not reply to those calls. he advises eck to be patient and wait things out. the cards assumed there was or would be a multi-year offer on the table from some other team, and they correctly deduce that it would not be wise to match. they made a final call to the agent and asked about david's willingness to sign a one year deal. the cards did not get a reply. they signed izturis a day later. the mets rumored four year offer never materialized. some of the other middle infield spots filled. eventually the blue jays call and ask about a one year deal. by then it was pretty much his only option, and the agent advises david to take it. david complains that the cards never made an offer. the cards said there was no point in making an offer since he was not willing to discuss a one year deal.

i can understand why they werent able to bring back eck. what i dont understand is how izturis is deemed more worthy than ryan, and i dont even particularly like ryan. i dont understand the need to sign him that early in the offseason either. i cant imagine there was a robust market for his services.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals