Still think Minaya is a good GM? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Still think Minaya is a good GM?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Still think Minaya is a good GM?

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:20 pm

The title of this thread could just as easily be, "Still think Jim Bowden is a bad GM?"

The Soriano trade, the Wily Mo Pena trade, the Lastings Milledge trade, ect...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:44 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:I think the Owens/Lindstrom trade was terrible considering how useful these guys could've been in the Mets bullpen.Minaya compounds the mistake by trading Brian Bannister for Ambiorix Burgos two weeks later.Now this Milledge trade.Everyone that follows baseball is aware of Billy Beane's mancrush on Milledge so you gotta believe the Mets could've gotten a better deal,not saying Haren, but better than what they got today.Other fans are more qualified than me to say if Omar is good or bad but we can all agree he's in a slump.

I always believed that Beane loved Milledge as well but I am not sure that was the case. I am quite sure that Minaya would have packaged him for Haren or Blanton if that was the case.

eftda wrote:Hes signed alot of great players. Wagner, Beltran, Martinez, Delgado... etc... His background (from what hes said on espn) helped him out with such signings. I doubt the mets would have gotten all four of those names without him.

They traded for Delgado. He actually had some issues with Minaya in the past.

Diamond Miners wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Traded Lastings Milledge to Washington Nationals. Received Ryan Church and Brian Schneider = BAD

only if you believe all hype for Milledge. I for one, did not. I think this could be a great deal for the Mets. Sure they didn't need another catcher. But I know a team that does. Maybe Estrada gets dealt elsewhere in another package deal, though not sure who they would give up. And some believed Church to be the future of the Nationals...wasn't quite going to happen, but some thought he was on par (as far as prospects go) with Milledge. And sometimes it just takes a player getting to a new location or different park to play to their potential.

I disagree. Much like in the Kazmir deal, it is about relative value. Even if Milledge turns out to be garbage, they still should have gotten more . It is obvious that they don't like Estrada because they already had him and Castro.

Philliebuster wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:That is entirely NOT true. You have know idea what the market was like for milledge. I'm not saying this is a good trade, but i'm not going to run around and say that I could have done better....

Well Omar obviously does't follow my main philosophy when making trades, which is....never trade a Corona for two Natty Ice's. Didn't have to pull the trigger when he did.

In general, I agree. That said, what time of the night are we talking about?? :-D

thedude wrote:
eftda wrote:Hes signed alot of great players. Wagner, Beltran, Martinez, Delgado... etc... His background (from what hes said on espn) helped him out with such signings. I doubt the mets would have gotten all four of those names without him.

Anyone can open a check book.

BTW: the Pedro signing was a terrible deal.

Completely disagree. We all knew that it was a little too long but the Mets were irrelevant at the time and Pedro changed that.

To me, Omar is a solid scout that needs to have things going on. If deals are made and he's not involved, he makes deals to make deals.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SignGuy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:15 pm

thedude wrote:BTW: the Pedro signing was a terrible deal.

Completely disagree as well. They HAD to overpay for Pedro here. The Mets were the laughing stock of the town after disappointing seasons since 2001 and needed to show that they meant business and that the Mets are still relevant in NY. Minaya knew Pedro would probably only be worth the first two years fo the contract, but at least it gave them some credibility back and made other players want to go to the Mets. I dont think Beltran ever would have signed with them if Pedro wasnt there. the Pedro signing was more of a statement saying we want to be players again rather than making a good baeball signing. everyone knew pedro wouldnt live up tp last two years on that contract
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm

I rarely agree with thedude but Pedro signing was not good. His shoulder was falling apart when he signed the contract. You could see this coming from a mile away.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SignGuy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Yoda wrote: His shoulder was falling apart when he signed the contract. You could see this coming from a mile away.

15-8 2.82 ERA .95 WHIP 208 K's 217 IP in 2005. How was his arm falling off? his big injury was a torn calf muscle
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:00 pm

SignGuy wrote:
Yoda wrote: His shoulder was falling apart when he signed the contract. You could see this coming from a mile away.

15-8 2.82 ERA .95 WHIP 208 K's 217 IP in 2005. How was his arm falling off? his big injury was a torn calf muscle

They didn't sign him for just 2005, though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:11 pm

SignGuy wrote:

Actually he had a partially torn right rotator cuff before he signed with the Mets. Not sure if that was covered under insurance but essentially, if he has a successful 08, then he would have been productive for 2 1/2 years (vs 4) under the current contract.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:50 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Yeah, the Mets couldn't have gone for Blanton using Milledge? They need starting pitching more than anything.

I don't think that would get Blanton - not in this market.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby apz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 pm

I'd like to see the Mets give Heilman another chance at starting. He had a few very nice outings a few years back when they changed his arm angle back to the way he threw in college. I realize that doesn't mean that much, but he was a first round pick at one point and has some talent.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Postby SignGuy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:59 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
SignGuy wrote:

They didn't sign him for just 2005, though.

The statement in question was that Pedro was a terrible signing. I said in my earlier post, the Mets knew they would probably only get two productive years out of the contract, but they HAD to overpay for Pedro to restore some credibility back to the franchise and to attract future players to signing there (ie Beltran). The Mets have the money to afford a move like that, no way a 'terrible' signing IMO. It gave them some much needed back-page exposure that plays a big factor with the fans here in NY
Last edited by SignGuy on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers