Still think Minaya is a good GM? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Still think Minaya is a good GM?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Still think Minaya is a good GM?

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:38 am

Diamond Miners wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Traded Lastings Milledge to Washington Nationals. Received Ryan Church and Brian Schneider = BAD

only if you believe all hype for Milledge. I for one, did not. I think this could be a great deal for the Mets. Sure they didn't need another catcher. But I know a team that does. Maybe Estrada gets dealt elsewhere in another package deal, though not sure who they would give up. And some believed Church to be the future of the Nationals...wasn't quite going to happen, but some thought he was on par (as far as prospects go) with Milledge. And sometimes it just takes a player getting to a new location or different park to play to their potential.

I could have gotten more for Milledge, I really think I could have, that is the problem.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:18 am

Philliebuster wrote:
Diamond Miners wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Traded Lastings Milledge to Washington Nationals. Received Ryan Church and Brian Schneider = BAD

only if you believe all hype for Milledge. I for one, did not. I think this could be a great deal for the Mets. Sure they didn't need another catcher. But I know a team that does. Maybe Estrada gets dealt elsewhere in another package deal, though not sure who they would give up. And some believed Church to be the future of the Nationals...wasn't quite going to happen, but some thought he was on par (as far as prospects go) with Milledge. And sometimes it just takes a player getting to a new location or different park to play to their potential.

I could have gotten more for Milledge, I really think I could have, that is the problem.

That is entirely NOT true. You have know idea what the market was like for milledge. I'm not saying this is a good trade, but i'm not going to run around and say that I could have done better....
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:46 am

I think Omar is a marginal GM. He's made some bad moves. Pedro's signing hasn't entirely worked out. Neither has trading Jacobs for Delgado. I also think that he should have traded Pelfrey/Heilman/Milledge in the last two years while their value was higher.

He has made some good moves like getting trading for Ollie, Maine, El Duque but all in all, they should have done much better with the payroll and talent the team has.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:55 am

Diamond Miners wrote:only if you believe all hype for Milledge. I for one, did not. I think this could be a great deal for the Mets. Sure they didn't need another catcher. But I know a team that does. Maybe Estrada gets dealt elsewhere in another package deal, though not sure who they would give up. And some believed Church to be the future of the Nationals...wasn't quite going to happen, but some thought he was on par (as far as prospects go) with Milledge. And sometimes it just takes a player getting to a new location or different park to play to their potential.

Offensively, Milledge was almost as good as Church in 2007 as a 22 yo. Chances are, he will be a lot better by the time he is Church's age. Not to mention way cheaper for at least the next 4-5 years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 am

jake_harv88 wrote:That is entirely NOT true. You have know idea what the market was like for milledge. I'm not saying this is a good trade, but i'm not going to run around and say that I could have done better....

Well Omar obviously does't follow my main philosophy when making trades, which is....never trade a Corona for two Natty Ice's. Didn't have to pull the trigger when he did.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 am

Regardless of how many bad deals Minaya has made, New York sports fans are completely numb to it because Isiah Thomas and the Knicks set the bar so high for poor management. None of those trades have been franchise breaking like the Scott Kazmir one. We could have used Heath Bell and Brian Bannister but it isn't like he has traded away a prospect that became a superstar as the Mets GM yet.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:11 am

That deal was rumored during the 2006 trade deadline. It would have been alot worse if they did get Zito and actually paid him an extra 50 million dollars after that season ended but with the way it turned out now, Zito still could have been the guy that pushed the Mets over the top, even if he would be just a rental because San Francisco is insane.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 pm

eftda wrote:Hes signed alot of great players. Wagner, Beltran, Martinez, Delgado... etc... His background (from what hes said on espn) helped him out with such signings. I doubt the mets would have gotten all four of those names without him.

Anyone can open a check book.

BTW: the Pedro signing was a terrible deal.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers