Report: Matsui signs with Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Look at the bright side, at least Craig Biggio isn't leading off anymore :-)
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:Interesting analysis, but I think you are underselling the Coors factor too much. You're right, his historical numbers don't support the home/away trend...because his homes games didn't use to be at Coors. That's kinda my point. Prior to his stint in Coors, he was a sub-.700 OPS player both home and away, then when he gets to the Rockies, he's still sub-.700 on the road, but suddenly .850+ at home? Sorry, I don't buy that as an anomoly, the split is too large. Coors is still a hitters park, not necessarily for power, but for average. It's a fantastic doubles and triples park. I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise. Look at the league-wide park factors over the last 5 years and where Coors ranks:

2007: 3rd
2006: 2nd
2005: 1st
2004: 1st
2003: 4th

Additionally, we're talking about a 32 year old who has had exactly one acceptable full MLB season, guys don't typically just start getting better in their 30s. I think what Houston is getting is more like the player with the career .272/.325/.387 line (.712), which would still be better than his days in NY, but won't really approach his Colorado production. A below average offensive player with reliable-to-good defense. To me, that's not worth the money he'll be making, Houston could likely get equivalent production for much less.

You may be right, I may be crazy. But look at the other 2B FA's, Tad Iguchi is pretty much the other option.

I'm a Mets fan, one which Kaz has angered greatly in the past, but I did have him on my fantasy team last year, and watched many of his games on the DTV xtra innings package, from what I remember as a Met fan to what I saw last year was night and day. Who knows, we shall see, but the signing isn't horrible is all i'm saying.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:13 am

Philliebuster wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Interesting analysis, but I think you are underselling the Coors factor too much. You're right, his historical numbers don't support the home/away trend...because his homes games didn't use to be at Coors. That's kinda my point. Prior to his stint in Coors, he was a sub-.700 OPS player both home and away, then when he gets to the Rockies, he's still sub-.700 on the road, but suddenly .850+ at home? Sorry, I don't buy that as an anomoly, the split is too large. Coors is still a hitters park, not necessarily for power, but for average. It's a fantastic doubles and triples park. I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise. Look at the league-wide park factors over the last 5 years and where Coors ranks:

2007: 3rd
2006: 2nd
2005: 1st
2004: 1st
2003: 4th

Additionally, we're talking about a 32 year old who has had exactly one acceptable full MLB season, guys don't typically just start getting better in their 30s. I think what Houston is getting is more like the player with the career .272/.325/.387 line (.712), which would still be better than his days in NY, but won't really approach his Colorado production. A below average offensive player with reliable-to-good defense. To me, that's not worth the money he'll be making, Houston could likely get equivalent production for much less.

You may be right, I may be crazy. But look at the other 2B FA's, Tad Iguchi is pretty much the other option.

I'm a Mets fan, one which Kaz has angered greatly in the past, but I did have him on my fantasy team last year, and watched many of his games on the DTV xtra innings package, from what I remember as a Met fan to what I saw last year was night and day. Who knows, we shall see, but the signing isn't horrible is all i'm saying.

Agreed, at the very least he's a good defensive player with some redeeming offensive qualities. And there certainly aren't many/any other worthwhile FA at the position. I just have trouble digesting 15 million dollars for Kaz Matsui.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers