Report: Matsui signs with Astros - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Why does Houston refuse to give their young players a shot?
At this rate I'm expecting Pence to get shafted too.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21585
(Past Year: 355)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why does Houston refuse to give their young players a shot?
At this rate I'm expecting Pence to get shafted too.



They'll probably send him to the rockies for Josh Fogg
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:50 pm

jfg wrote:Interesting. I think you're selling your team short. This is Milwaukee's year unless something big happens to Chicago.


Again, as I said, it's a current snapshot. There's much to come yet this offseason that could change that. As of right this minute, Riske hasn't officially signed yet, Cordero/Linebrink are gone -- the bullpen's messy. I hope/expect that to be fixed, and that could be the difference. A healthy Sheets/Gallardo/Villanueva/Suppan/Parra?Bush?Capuano? rotation could very effective, and certainly the bats will be there. If this rumored Rolen deal goes through, the defense improves significanly too. But who knows, it's too early. Right now the Cubs I think are a little ahead.

My point was more that I see Houston in 5th at best, despite having 4 of the best players in the division. They just haven't built a good supporting cast and they don't have a good minor league system to draw from.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Yay! This makes the Cardinals job even easier in the Central. :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby cordscords » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:26 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Why does Houston refuse to give their young players a shot?
At this rate I'm expecting Pence to get shafted too.



They'll probably send him to the rockies for Josh Fogg


That made me laugh...and panic at the same time :-o
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:03 pm

I would have liked for the Rockies to have kept Kaz, but at that kind of a price I think they made the right move. The Rockies did increase their original offer up to 2 years/$10 million, but I guess that wasn't enough to make him want to stay in Colorado. I wish him luck in Houston.

Rockies are interested in Mark Loretta (along with the Yankees). I wouldn't mind him, as he's versitle and would bring in more competetion for the vacant 2B job.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4003
Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:51 am

Following up with a hot ending to 06 Kaz turned into a damn fine 2B with Col. in 07. From a fantasy perspective i'm glad to see him out of Col., as he was splitting time with Carrol. Batted nearly 290 with a good OBP and speed, and doesn't strikeout...great signing if you ask me.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1238
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:18 am

Philliebuster wrote:Following up with a hot ending to 06 Kaz turned into a damn fine 2B with Col. in 07. From a fantasy perspective i'm glad to see him out of Col., as he was splitting time with Carrol. Batted nearly 290 with a good OBP and speed, and doesn't strikeout...great signing if you ask me.


At Coors Field -- .330/.381/.482 (.864)
Away -- .249/.304/.333 (.637)

Just not a good signing. Those away numbers line up much better with the numbers he put up while a Met.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:18 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:Following up with a hot ending to 06 Kaz turned into a damn fine 2B with Col. in 07. From a fantasy perspective i'm glad to see him out of Col., as he was splitting time with Carrol. Batted nearly 290 with a good OBP and speed, and doesn't strikeout...great signing if you ask me.


At Coors Field -- .330/.381/.482 (.864)
Away -- .249/.304/.333 (.637)

Just not a good signing. Those away numbers line up much better with the numbers he put up while a Met.


Being that his historical #'s don't support this home/away trend, I think this differential is most likely an anomoly. Colorado isn't the hitting park it use to be, so perhaps it's a minor adjustable mental situation for him, Minute Maid Park perhaps will become his new "home". Look at the positives, and possibly more important than the home/away splits...is he hit both righties and lefties well, hit .290 with runners in scoring position (RISP), .388 with RISP and two outs, .290 in late inning pressure at bats, .355 as a leadoff hitter. The Colorado ballpark don't produce these stats. I think Kaz is rounding into the player he was in Japan, he won't be a star, but he'll be a slightly above average 2B offensively.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1238
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Jersey

Re: Report: Matsui signs with Astros

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Philliebuster wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:Following up with a hot ending to 06 Kaz turned into a damn fine 2B with Col. in 07. From a fantasy perspective i'm glad to see him out of Col., as he was splitting time with Carrol. Batted nearly 290 with a good OBP and speed, and doesn't strikeout...great signing if you ask me.


At Coors Field -- .330/.381/.482 (.864)
Away -- .249/.304/.333 (.637)

Just not a good signing. Those away numbers line up much better with the numbers he put up while a Met.


Being that his historical #'s don't support this home/away trend, I think this differential is most likely an anomoly. Colorado isn't the hitting park it use to be, so perhaps it's a minor adjustable mental situation for him, Minute Maid Park perhaps will become his new "home". Look at the positives, and possibly more important than the home/away splits...is he hit both righties and lefties well, hit .290 with runners in scoring position (RISP), .388 with RISP and two outs, .290 in late inning pressure at bats, .355 as a leadoff hitter. The Colorado ballpark don't produce these stats. I think Kaz is rounding into the player he was in Japan, he won't be a star, but he'll be a slightly above average 2B offensively.


Interesting analysis, but I think you are underselling the Coors factor too much. You're right, his historical numbers don't support the home/away trend...because his homes games didn't use to be at Coors. That's kinda my point. Prior to his stint in Coors, he was a sub-.700 OPS player both home and away, then when he gets to the Rockies, he's still sub-.700 on the road, but suddenly .850+ at home? Sorry, I don't buy that as an anomoly, the split is too large. Coors is still a hitters park, not necessarily for power, but for average. It's a fantastic doubles and triples park. I'm not sure what would make you think otherwise. Look at the league-wide park factors over the last 5 years and where Coors ranks:

2007: 3rd
2006: 2nd
2005: 1st
2004: 1st
2003: 4th

Additionally, we're talking about a 32 year old who has had exactly one acceptable full MLB season, guys don't typically just start getting better in their 30s. I think what Houston is getting is more like the player with the career .272/.325/.387 line (.712), which would still be better than his days in NY, but won't really approach his Colorado production. A below average offensive player with reliable-to-good defense. To me, that's not worth the money he'll be making, Houston could likely get equivalent production for much less.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1124
Joined: 16 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact