Hamels vs Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hamels vs Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hamels vs Verlander

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:zoolander. hamel's elbow is gonna blow out soon and he'll need TJ. zoolander has the adv. in stadium too.

blasphemy X-I

yea and that's coming from someone who traded for hamels in a keeper league. but that was before his late season elbow strains...

it worries me, for sure. hamels and felix (coincidentally, who i traded away to get hamels) are 2 young studs that can both blow out elbows this coming season.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:47 pm

High Heater wrote:i'm surprised this many people are down on Verlander. he had almost the same kper9 as liriano in the minors and upped his k's last year after scrapping the knuckle curveball that plagued him with blisters. he actualy went to a more conventional curve in 06 which is why there was a decline in K's but he's starting to master that conventional curve now after a season so i do expect the k's to rise more.

plus he's durable, probably the most durable young SP in todays game.

Agreed... I just like Hamels' upside better. I do think Verlander is a top pitcher but his decline in the second half in 06, 07 should be considered as well. They are very close IMO and I may change my mind by draft time due to Hamels's injury concerns. I am becoming more and more averse to injuries when it comes to pitchers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby High Heater » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:21 pm

meh we'll see i view them as pretty dead even but i give the slight edge to Verlander because of durability at this point. not many people really know why Verlander's Kper9 went down last year from the minors except for the people who watched him pitch in Detroit.

Beckett had the same problem but the Detroit brass was smart and made him move to the conventional grip on his curve. he hasnt had a blister problem since.

i can see Verlander eclipse 200k's in a healthy 08 from his 183 of 07
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:41 am

Hamels is the better pitcher.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bravesfan42 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:08 pm

I'll take Cole Hamels.
bravesfan42
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm a little biased. I've seen Hamels pitch on a few occasions and came away impressed. If he stays healthy he'll have a dandy career.

However, Verlander blew me away when he no-hit a potent Milwaukee offense. He was filthy, just as good of pitching as I've ever seen. I was even more impressed as he came into the 9th inning throwing harder than the 1st, topping 100 MPH. I actually think he has more upside than Hamels, and he seems to have fewer durability concerns as well. If I were starting a team, I'd take Justin. I also think that way for fantasy baseball, due in large part because I think he can be had a little later and thus carry a little more value.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:29 pm

kab21 wrote:I think Hamels will go higher than Verlander, so I'm all right picking up Verlander a round lower and using the pick elsewhere. Not alot of seperation between the 2.

Yes, regardless of who's better, I like this plan ;-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers