Rays Plan For New Stadium; Not Weather - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays Plan For New Stadium; Not Weather

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rays Plan For New Stadium; Not Weather

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:50 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Right, but again there is no new tax so there would be no effect on the taxpayers and there would not be anything else there if they dont make the stadium because it is the Rays ST field right now. The whole area is going to be redone with a new shopping center done by a new developer, a park, and a bunch of other things. I just can't see how having something there rather than not will not add to the city. :-?

This issue has been studied dozens and dozens of times over the past 2-3 decades. If you are familiar with the concept of opportunity cost from economics, the issue is simple. At best these types of efforts redistribute money around a region or across different types of entertainment. What Tampa gains, will be money that would have otherwise have been spent in Tampa, the Tampa suburbs or nearby regions, but on different forms of entertainment. People will spend more on baseball, but less on movies.

More importantly, however, the question is bang for the buck or opportunity cost. There are a large number of other types of investments that could be made besides building a baseball stadium. The return on the best of the alternative investments is the opportunity cost. By spending the money on baseball, Tampa loses the opportunity to spend it on investing in these alternatives. What does the evidence say about that? What it says quite clearly is that baseball stadiums do not rank very well compared to the other types of investments. Tampa actually makes less money than they could have, because their are better investment opportunities than baseball.

So, the research clearly shows that, at best, stadiums and the development around them simply redistribute cash around a region. More likely, they simply represent a mediocre to bad investment decision. There are far better ways to generate economic growth than investing in sports stadiums.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:53 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. Things I never knew, i really appreciate it ;-D

With that being said, i don't mind what it costs because I hate the trop and want a new stadium :-D

Having seen a game at the Trop a few years ago, I agree completely! It may not be great for Tampa, but that doesn't mean it's not good for baseball in Tampa!

And if anyone wants to learn more, they might check out the books of Andrew Zimbalist.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:29 pm

The diehard Rays fans are the ones who benefit. They have increased utility from attending games in a new stadium. Since they care more about the issue than people who have no stake in the building of a stadium (except for how their public money is spent), fans will be more vocal in their support; this is the reason why new stadiums are so often built with public money. '

As a side issue, the pressence of a pro-sports team actually lowers the wages of people in sports related professions.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kev921 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
thedude wrote:The Trop will only be 22 years old in 2012. It seems like a little bit of waste, no?

The Trop is a waste.

Big time... if the Trop is only 18 years old right now, whoever paid for it should get a refund. What a dump.

Didn't Seattle's Kingdome only last about 22 years?
Some people take smoke breaks. I choose to take fantasy baseball breaks!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers