Hillary Sends Gay Gen. to Bash GOP For Bill's Policy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hillary Sends Gay Gen. to Bash GOP For Bill's Policy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hillary Sends Gay Gen. to Bash GOP For Bill's Policy

Postby JTWood » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:27 am

Last night, a retired army Brigadier General told the Republican candidates that "Don't ask, don't tell" was, in his own words, "destructive" to the military. It later came out that he is a member of Hillary Clinton’s "LGBT Americans For Hillary Steering Committee."

So, the Clinton camp sends an openly gay, former general to chastise the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in front of the Republicans, I presume, in order to try and emphasize that Republicans are more homophobic than Democrats.

My confusion starts here...

Wikipedia wrote:["Don't ask, don't tell"] was introduced as a compromise measure in 1993 and approved by then President Bill Clinton who, while campaigning for the Presidency, had promised to allow all citizens regardless of sexual orientation to serve openly in the military, a departure from the then complete ban on those who are not heterosexual. The actual policy was crafted by Colin Powell and has been maintained by Clinton's successor, George W. Bush.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the Clintons just send a gay person to complain to the Republicans about a policy the Clintons themselves brought into existence???

:-S
Last edited by JTWood on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Clintons Confuse Me

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:37 am

It looks to me like Hillary Clinton sent an openly gay person to complain about a homophobic policy that Bill Clinton put into place and George Bush continued to allow. Why are people continually linking "the Clintons" as if they are the same person?

"The Bushes confuse me. In his book, George Sr. said that part of the reason he didn't invade Iraq was because he didn't see a way to get out, then a few years later George Jr. invades Iraq. Did the Bushes just send troops into a country that the Bushes themselves have already decided there is no way to get out of?"

Sounds silly, doesn't it?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:02 am

Is Bush elder campaigning with Bush lite right now? Is he in Iowa making comments that he never supported the war even though he made multiple comments that supported W after the invasion? Is H telling Iowa voters that he's mad at W for cutting taxes on the wealthy since it didn't allow him to support the military? When comments like those are made on day one, and circumstances like this arise on day two, I would be remiss to not link the Clintons together.

The fact that they can do one thing and say another so openly just makes me laugh. It really is funny.

But Bush sucks, too. Now, back to the OP. I'll change the title to make it more relevant and less sweeping, okay, Art?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Hillary Sends Gay Gen. to Bash GOP For Bill's Policy

Postby theclefe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:10 am

Very bizarre. A big misstep for Hillary. Not because the man's identity was discovered, but because the debate was surprising spirited and now this will take media attention away from the Republications taking hard jabs at each other. Had it been another ho-hum debate, this meddling would be strongly scrutizined, as would the Republicans stances on homosexuals. Now the perception is a little bit of typical fighting and an untypical intrusion into a partisan forum.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:36 pm

How dare you question Hillary's integrity. ;-7
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:53 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Is Bush elder campaigning with Bush lite right now? Is he in Iowa making comments that he never supported the war even though he made multiple comments that supported W after the invasion? Is H telling Iowa voters that he's mad at W for cutting taxes on the wealthy since it didn't allow him to support the military? When comments like those are made on day one, and circumstances like this arise on day two, I would be remiss to not link the Clintons together.

The fact that they can do one thing and say another so openly just makes me laugh. It really is funny.

But Bush sucks, too. Now, back to the OP. I'll change the title to make it more relevant and less sweeping, okay, Art?

I just don't understand why people continue to lump the Clintons together "they" are not running for president, she is. How does Bill Clinton changing his mind (or at least his public stance) about an issue over the last eight years reflect poorly on Hillary? I don't get it. I'll let his actions contribute to my opinion of him, and hers shape my view of her.

Also, the General in question has said that he was not told or encouraged to ask that question by anyone from the Clinton campaign. Unless evidence to the contrary comes out, I'm inclined to believe him. I don't think being a member of a steering committe should make someone unable to voice their own opinion on an issue.

I'm not even a fan of Clinton whatsoever (either of them), but it smacks of hypocricy to judge one candidate by the actions of her husband, but not do so with the other candidates. Bill Clinton isn't the only spouse on the campaign trail, but since the Clintons aren't Bill and Hillary, they're "they" it's somehow okay to lump his views in with hers and judge her for it. Somehow I doubt it would be news it came out that Michelle Obama has changed her mind on an issue in the last eight years.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Is Bush elder campaigning with Bush lite right now? Is he in Iowa making comments that he never supported the war even though he made multiple comments that supported W after the invasion? Is H telling Iowa voters that he's mad at W for cutting taxes on the wealthy since it didn't allow him to support the military? When comments like those are made on day one, and circumstances like this arise on day two, I would be remiss to not link the Clintons together.

I just don't understand why people continue to lump the Clintons together "they" are not running for president, she is. How does Bill Clinton changing his mind (or at least his public stance) about an issue over the last eight years reflect poorly on Hillary? I don't get it. I'll let his actions contribute to my opinion of him, and hers shape my view of her.

Also, the General in question has said that he was not told or encouraged to ask that question by anyone from the Clinton campaign. Unless evidence to the contrary comes out, I'm inclined to believe him. I don't think being a member of a steering committe should make someone unable to voice their own opinion on an issue.

I'm not even a fan of Clinton whatsoever (either of them), but it smacks of hypocricy to judge one candidate by the actions of her husband, but not do so with the other candidates. Bill Clinton isn't the only spouse on the campaign trail, but since the Clintons aren't Bill and Hillary, they're "they" it's somehow okay to lump his views in with hers and judge her for it. Somehow I doubt it would be news it came out that Michelle Obama has changed her mind on an issue in the last eight years.

Bill Clinton will be the most influential First Spouse in history, by a wide margin (both publically and privately). His campaigning for Hilary is as a former President, not just her husband. As such, he is held to a higher standard than the other First Ladies. Might not be fair, but that's life.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:11 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:Bill Clinton will be the most influential First Spouse in history, by a wide margin (both publically and privately). His campaigning for Hilary is as a former President, not just her husband. As such, he is held to a higher standard than the other First Ladies. Might not be fair, but that's life.

Hold him to whatever standard you want, but his wife shouldn't be judged according to his actions.

I didn't think it was a knock on McCain when his Florida campaign director (or whatever the guy's title was) was arrested for soliciting sex in a public restroom, and it shouldn't be a knock on Hillarly that her husband has switched his stance on gays in the military since he left office.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Political stances of political advisers and personal habits of political advisers are not synonymous.

And we all know that Bill and Hillary are working together. It's no secret. What Bill says, Hillary approved, and vice versa.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:16 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Is Bush elder campaigning with Bush lite right now?

George Jr. can't run again if he has already served two terms - is that right?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Next

Return to General Talk