Massachusetts Debates Spanking Ban - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Massachusetts Debates Spanking Ban

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Massachusetts Debates Spanking Ban

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 pm

ABClocal wrote:(New York - WABC, November 28, 2007) - There is a proposed law causing a lot of controversy Wednesday morning. Should spanking be illegal? Some lawmakers in Massachusetts want to ban parents from spanking their children, even in their own homes.

They say it's just one more way to protect kids from abuse. But many parents say it's government run amuck.

In 29 states, it's illegal for a teacher to spank students. In all 50 states, however, parents are allowed to spank their own children.

One Massachusetts nurse is hoping to change that.

"I think it's ironic that domestic violence applies to everyone except the most vulnerable, children," Kathleen Wolf said.

Today, a bill Kathleen Wolf wrote has its hearing at the statehouse. It aims to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to ban corporal punishment at home.

Taking away the last resort of every desperate housewife.

The very idea of this bill is hugely controversial in Massachusetts, because a lot of parents say the state is trying to take away what's been a tried-and-true method of child rearing: as many a mom has said, "spare the rod, spoil the child."

"We don't spank her, but I think that ought to be a parent's choice," one father said of his daughter.

"I don't want the government telling me how to raise my children," a mother said.

Nineteen countries have banned corporal punishment. And some child rearing experts believe one day the U.S. will do so as well.

"I don't know if it's an idea whose time has come," Duke University Center for Child and Family Policy researcher Lisa Berlin said. "But it's possibly one whose time is coming.

Wolf says she's not recommending that parents who do spank their kids should face jail time, as they do in Sweden, or fines, as they do elsewhere.

"I don't think the idea is to punish people," she said. "I think the idea is to give them the support that they need."

Even when it comes to enforcing her own bill, she would spare the rod.

Ban spanking and don't punish the people who break the law? X-I

I just don't understand people like this. I really don't. %-6
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Massachusetts Debates Spanking Ban

Postby 5 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm

The govt trying to get involved with choices again. :-t

I don't think teachers should spank the kids but parents? gimme a break, it's up to them.

I think Kathleen Wolf needs a spanking.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm

I almost typed up my: *shakes head and walks away* comment, but I can't do that in this one. :-b

This is absurd. There is a HUGE difference in spanking a child and child abuse. While I think all child abusers are scum and deserve to serve jail time relative to the amount and type of abuse, there is absolutely nothing wrong with parents spanking their child. Clearly this lady is too stupid to recognize the difference in those two things, and as such, she should keep her mouth shut. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:44 pm

One day I shall buy a shovel, and I shall go to Massachusetts. Once there, I shall start digging all around the border. Eventually, I shall dig enough that Massachusetts breaks away from the mainland and goes floating off into the sea.

And we shall be free of this nonsense forevermore.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Minor League Skilz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Forgive my ignorance but my entire picture of Massachusetts was formed by Good Will Hunting and the Yanks vs. Sox rivalry. I never realized it, but man those guys are wacky up there. This is so ridiculous that I almost think it is an attempt by the government to distract us from the real problems in the world. I am all for stopping child abuse but let the parents that actually care about their kids raise them how they see fit.

And for the record I am not a real big proponent of spanking. My father's threat of violence was always enough to keep us in line.

People are slowly going insane. :-{
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Liberals :-°
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theclefe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 pm

knapplc wrote:One day I shall buy a shovel, and I shall go to Massachusetts. Once there, I shall start digging all around the border. Eventually, I shall dig enough that Massachusetts breaks away from the mainland and goes floating off into the sea.

And we shall be free of this nonsense forevermore.

I'll help, but first we need a permit to carry a shovel over the state line. Then we need to apply for a rightful digger's license, work glove visa and an out-of-state labor tax form. Once all that paperwork is filled out, we can start digging with the permission of the land owner, mayor or board of selectmen of the town we are in, the Department of Trenches and MassPort. As long as the project costs less than the $15+ Billion Big Dig, then we should get the green light.

...unless you are an illegal immigrant, Knap. Then you can do anything you want.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 pm

"Massachusetts Debates Spanking Ban"

Can the rest of the country debate a Massachusetts ban? I'd include an exception for baseball games. That would be nice.
Last edited by RugbyD on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigken117 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:28 pm

The lady proposing this isn't even a lawmaker or anything, just some random nurse. Yes, the state has it's share of problems, but every state does. If my wife could leave her family I would move out. But this has nothing to do with the state, the bill won't pass by a longshot. The lady didn't come up with a dumb idea because of anything in the water here...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:21 am

Proverbs 13:24 wrote:One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

This distracts from the real abusers out there. What's the message here? We can't stop people from beating their kids so we'll just take down everyone who disciplines and just call it good? Very well. Take the freedoms away from the law abiding citizens.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk