BJ Ryan in 2008? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Ryan in 2008?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: BJ Ryan in 2008?

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:06 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm not sure where you guys have got your information, but Ricciardi has been saying for months that BJ Ryan will be back in ST healthy. Take that with a grain of salt knowing the source, however.

I don't see any reason why he can't be the elite reliever he was, or atleast somewhere close to that level. Successful TJ surgery has been shown to make a majority of pitchers actually better than they were.

Sure you want to believe everything that Ricciardi says:

Did you miss the part where I said "take that with a grain of salt knowing the source?"
Stop trying to cause argument and altercation where again...there isn't any to be had.

Anyway, lying wouldn't exactly be the best thing for Ricciardi right now as he is on the extreme hot seat right now with both fans and management, but it's certainly a possibility. In any event, drafting BJ Ryan this year as a top closer wouldn't be the thing to do at all even if he is there at ST.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:10 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm not sure where you guys have got your information, but Ricciardi has been saying for months that BJ Ryan will be back in ST healthy. Take that with a grain of salt knowing the source, however.

I don't see any reason why he can't be the elite reliever he was, or atleast somewhere close to that level. Successful TJ surgery has been shown to make a majority of pitchers actually better than they were.

Sure you want to believe everything that Ricciardi says:

Did you miss the part where I said "take that with a grain of salt knowing the source?"
Stop trying to cause argument and altercation where again...there isn't any to be had.

Anyway, lying wouldn't exactly be the best thing for Ricciardi right now as he is on the extreme hot seat right now with both fans and management, but it's certainly a possibility. In any event, drafting BJ Ryan this year as a top closer wouldn't be the thing to do at all even if he is there at ST.

Relax. Now. I am not trying to cause any altercation.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:04 am

Lofunzo wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Sure you want to believe everything that Ricciardi says:

Relax. Now. I am not trying to cause any altercation.

Alright, but you should have realized I wasn't suggesting to take Ricciardi's words as fact. As a Jays fan, that's something I will never do.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby MrT » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:43 pm

In July or August i will consider him. A return in 2009 is realistic, but whether he returns to from is questionable.
MrT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:01 pm

MrT wrote:In July or August i will consider him. A return in 2009 is realistic, but whether he returns to from is questionable.

Do all you guys have information that I don't have? BJ Ryan is supposedly on track to return in ST. I can't say whether he'll return to form by then, but the Jays are planning to take a look at him and see if he's ready to make the team then.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kab21 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:43 pm

mweir145 wrote:
MrT wrote:In July or August i will consider him. A return in 2009 is realistic, but whether he returns to from is questionable.

Do all you guys have information that I don't have? BJ Ryan is supposedly on track to return in ST. I can't say whether he'll return to form by then, but the Jays are planning to take a look at him and see if he's ready to make the team then.

I think people on this thread are lumping BJ Ryan in with general TJ recovery schedule. The earliest most pitchers come back is 12 months I believe. And I think it was the Hardball Times that found it takes an average of 18.5 months before a pitcher regained full effectiveness.

I've been following Liriano's recovery closer than Ryan's. His TJ surgery occurred in Nov 2006 and the team thinks he'll be ready in Spring Training, but haven't said that they are counting on it. Every pitcher will be different and the Twins have always been a conservative team when it comes to pitchers.

FWIW - I'm not interested in drafting Ryan until the end of the draft (12 teams, 23 rounds) if at all. I'm more than willing to let another team take a chance on him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:22 pm

kab21 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

I think people on this thread are lumping BJ Ryan in with general TJ recovery schedule. The earliest most pitchers come back is 12 months I believe. And I think it was the Hardball Times that found it takes an average of 18.5 months before a pitcher regained full effectiveness.

I've been following Liriano's recovery closer than Ryan's. His TJ surgery occurred in Nov 2006 and the team thinks he'll be ready in Spring Training, but haven't said that they are counting on it. Every pitcher will be different and the Twins have always been a conservative team when it comes to pitchers.

FWIW - I'm not interested in drafting Ryan until the end of the draft (12 teams, 23 rounds) if at all. I'm more than willing to let another team take a chance on him.

I know all of this, and I've read the same thing in Hardball Times that you did. And if there wasn't information out there that suggested that BJ Ryan is well ahead of schedule and ready to return in ST, I would definitely be expecting a summer return (it's what I expected upon hearing about the surgery last year). However, that information is out there, and the Jays are expecting him to be there at ST.

And bringing up Liriano's recovery schedule is pretty meaningless, because as you said, every pitcher is different. Last year, Toronto signed Victor Zambrano, who was coming off TJ surgery. He was back pitching within 10 months of having it, and had no complications.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:43 am

Honestly, all this smells like a situation that'd just be better to avoid. Pitchers are rarely effective right away after coming back from Tommy John surgery, and having to worry about that all year is just something I don't want to deal with. Certainly wouldn't spend more than a late round flyer on him in a league with some extra bench spots.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:08 am

mweir145 wrote:Last year, Toronto signed Victor Zambrano, who was coming off TJ surgery. He was back pitching within 10 months of having it, and had no complications.

Yes, but for the fact he flat-out stunk. :-b

Seriously, I've also heard the reports that Ryan is expected back for spring training, but this is the sort of situation I just have no confidence in Blue Jays management to handle right at all. Accardo's proven he can be the team's closer over an extended period, so there is no reason to rush back a guy like Ryan who's making that kind of money and who can be that important to the team--so therefore they probably will. I just have a gut feeling this situation ends ugly one way or another.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:17 am

I got him down as about my number 12th closer. I think he will come back strong and be a major force and by next year be a top 5 closer

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers