BJ Ryan in 2008? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Ryan in 2008?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Ryan in 2008?

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 am

Anyone have any thoughts on what his value is for 2008 and 2009? I believe he's due back around May, but I don't know his value. I may be able to get him for 2 years at a reasonable price, and I definitely need some RP help. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Ryan in 2008?

Postby MentalPowerHouse » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 pm

As for his playing situation...

With the money the Jays are paying him he will definitely get his closer job back if possible, but he will have to work his back in so if he comes back in May he may take the closer job back by July... so he is missing half the season is essence at best.

I don't know much about the injury and the ability to come back from it.
MentalPowerHouse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyanK » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 pm

MentalPowerHouse wrote:I don't know much about the injury and the ability to come back from it.

tommy john surgery...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby ocicat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:36 pm

JRM4833 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on what his value is for 2008 and 2009? I believe he's due back around May, but I don't know his value. I may be able to get him for 2 years at a reasonable price, and I definitely need some RP help. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I don't know any more specifics about him than you. I've heard the same thing, with him back around May. However, it's hard to trust anything the Jays say about him after last spring. Remember they kept saying he was having issues with his back, then... SURPRISE!!! Tommy John surgery!!!

As far as his value is concerned, I'd say the odds are not in his favor that he will return to his previous status. Of course it is possible, and you can go ahead and take the risk. Like MentalPowerHouse said, he'll almost surely be closing as soon as he is healthy, since the Jays are paying so much. But I doubt he ever becomes an elite closer again, and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up losing his closing gig to Accardo or one of their other young arms.
ocicat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm not sure where you guys have got your information, but Ricciardi has been saying for months that BJ Ryan will be back in ST healthy. Take that with a grain of salt knowing the source, however.

I don't see any reason why he can't be the elite reliever he was, or atleast somewhere close to that level. Successful TJ surgery has been shown to make a majority of pitchers actually better than they were.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby ocicat » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:52 pm

mweir145 wrote:I'm not sure where you guys have got your information, but Ricciardi has been saying for months that BJ Ryan will be back in ST healthy. Take that with a grain of salt knowing the source, however.

I don't see any reason why he can't be the elite reliever he was, or atleast somewhere close to that level. Successful TJ surgery has been shown to make a majority of pitchers actually better than they were.

I hadn't seen anything in a while about him, but after you wrote this I looked it up and indeed Ricciardi is saying there's no indication so far that he won't be ready for spring training. I guess what I had read must have just been assuming 12 months from when the surgery happened (May 10).

And I am still skeptical of him. Yes, he could come back strong, but there is definitely risk involved in acquiring him for your team.

I dunno... maybe, it's because I feel like I got burned by Ricciardi last spring when he didn't lead on that anything was seriously wrong with him, so I just don't trust anything he says anymore.
ocicat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:09 pm

ocicat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I'm not sure where you guys have got your information, but Ricciardi has been saying for months that BJ Ryan will be back in ST healthy. Take that with a grain of salt knowing the source, however.

I hadn't seen anything in a while about him, but after you wrote this I looked it up and indeed Ricciardi is saying there's no indication so far that he won't be ready for spring training. I guess what I had read must have just been assuming 12 months from when the surgery happened (May 10).

And I am still skeptical of him. Yes, he could come back strong, but there is definitely risk involved in acquiring him for your team.

Oh, there's definitely some risk. The Toronto saves situation is one I'll probably stay away from until we know who will be getting the job for sure.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 pm

ocicat wrote:

I dunno... maybe, it's because I feel like I got burned by Ricciardi last spring when he didn't lead on that anything was seriously wrong with him, so I just don't trust anything he says anymore.

Found this update/analysis on CBS Sportsline
Ryan had Tommy John elbow surgery in early May, a procedure that has proven dangerous to even try to come back from before a full year of rehab. That means Ryan won't be ready to pitch in the major leagues until mid-May and likely would have to come back as a middle reliever before he can be trusted as a full-time closer. We think he can help Fantasy teams in earnest in the second half, so consider him an injury-risk sleeper in deeper leagues where you can afford to stash a potential closer for a few months.(Updated 11/14/2007)

JP Ricciardi is the last person I'd be trusting for medical info.Francisco Liriano had TJ last year (11/06) and there are still questions about how he'll come back and he'll be 17 months removed from TJ on opening day.I agree with mweir that a lot of pitchers have come back better than before but usually it takes more than 12 months to see results.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:14 am

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
ocicat wrote:

Found this update/analysis on CBS Sportsline
Ryan had Tommy John elbow surgery in early May, a procedure that has proven dangerous to even try to come back from before a full year of rehab. That means Ryan won't be ready to pitch in the major leagues until mid-May and likely would have to come back as a middle reliever before he can be trusted as a full-time closer. We think he can help Fantasy teams in earnest in the second half, so consider him an injury-risk sleeper in deeper leagues where you can afford to stash a potential closer for a few months.(Updated 11/14/2007)

JP Ricciardi is the last person I'd be trusting for medical info.Francisco Liriano had TJ last year (11/06) and there are still questions about how he'll come back and he'll be 17 months removed from TJ on opening day.I agree with mweir that a lot of pitchers have come back better than before but usually it takes more than 12 months to see results.

Ricciardi has maintained this point for months: BJ Ryan is well ahead of his schedule, and will be there at ST. How effective he will be at first is what the real question is.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Sure you want to believe everything that Ricciardi says:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=b ... &type=lgns

I agree that a lot of pitchers come back from TJ better than they were but how many were injured during 1 season and ready for ST the next??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers